First Cozumel trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I stayed at the Fiesta Americana two years ago. We definitely enjoyed our stay there. The food was good, but we never ate dinner there only breakfast and lunch. The hotel itself was very nice, the rooms were clean, and the service was good. Each room also has a safe in it for your valuables. We did our dives with Dive-House, the on-site operator. We also enjoyed them as well, and had no complaints.

The one thing that I really liked about it was, it never seemed crowded. We were also there in October, which is considered the low season, and there was never more than 6-8 people around the pool at any time.

I can't comment on the cab rides, because we rented a car for the entire week. The hotel is probably 10-15 minutes from downtown.

My wife and I are planning on going again this March, and if it wasn't for the fact that my Dad purchased a timeshare on Coz, we would be staying at the FA again.

Hope this helps......

I've done 3 trips to Coz, and stayed at FA all three times.
As we are not big into eating the "authentic local cuisine (delicate digestive systems),the distance from town was not a big deal.
I'd stay there again, should the occasion arise.
Mike

Thanks for all your responses.
Jeff, how crowded were the dive boats when you dove with Open-House? I have read some comments on other boards about them packing 'em in.

bcampy1,

We stayed at the FA in March and probably would not return again. Recycled food for dinner, sewer smell in our room for the last three days we were there and our friends had the same smell too. Breakfast was good as well as lunch but the dinners were awful. When you ask the bartender for a beer watch what he pours you because it's probably not what you asked for it's what ever he grabs and puts in the glass.

Cab ride to town from the FA was about $6 US and about 15minutes. If you choose to stay here ask for a room above the 3rd floor so you can see the ocean. We talked to some people who were staying in the Casita suites and they said they wouldn't recommend them to anyone, they smelled and the path that leads back to them was not very well lit at night.

Dive ops will pick you up at the peir no problem, I used Dive with Martin, small, fast boats and no more then about 8 people on the boat as well as great prices. The beach is nice and there's even a pool down there as well as a bar, the entery to the ocean is kind of rocky so bring some surf socks to wear.

Good luck and have a great time!

bcampy1:
Thanks for all your responses.
Jeff, how crowded were the dive boats when you dove with Open-House? I have read some comments on other boards about them packing 'em in.

The most divers we had on any given dive day was 6-8, but I don't know if that is normal. One day they took us out with only 4. The divemasters and crew were very nice and did a good job pointing things out.

However, if I were to stay there again I would probably use a different dive op, one that uses smaller faster boats. Right now, I'm leaning toward Bluextsea. I've heard a lot of good things about them on this board and some others. I think they have a website at http://www.bluextseadiving.com/

The FA really doesn't have a beach. There is a small area where it looks like they had some sand brought in. Also the restaurant for breakfast, the pier & 'beach' are across the street. They do have a walkway over the street, but it was easier to just run, after the traffic cleared. I stayed there before they built the 'highway' that goes behind the FA. So the street in front of the hotel was super busy. Maybe since the new road went in, it has helped with traffic. I had no problem w/ the food or drinks at FA. But I stayed there 5 or 6 years ago, so things may have changed.
As others have stated, avoid the Casita rooms & get a room in the main building, on a higher floor, for a nice ocean view.

I am planning my first trip to Cozumel and am wondering, besides hotels, what people can tell me about the rentable condos, hopefully with dive deals? I'm planning on going in November. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom