First Cozumel trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcampy1

Registered
Reaction score
My wife & I are making our first dive trip to Coz in late October. (We were redirected from Grand Cayman when our timeshare was damaged by Ivan ) We're being joined by 4 others, 3 of whom are divers.

I've researched various hotel options and have whittled our choice down to 2 - Fiesta Americana and Hotel Coz and am leaning toward FA.

The main pros I see for FA - nice pool & beach area, especially nice for our 1 non-diver; good proximity to dive sites; good shore-diving.

I have several concerns/questions though. One is whether FA is too isolated; the appeal of Hotel Coz is its proximity to downtown. Is it easy to get a taxi to/from downtown and really only about 10 bucks? The second is the food quality (related to #1 since we'd have less options to eat elsewhere if resort is isolated), although I haven't read that the food would be outstanding at Hotel Coz. The third is whether we'd have a problem using an alternative dive op at FA (are there any specific ones that have better relations or proximity to FA). Finally, what room locations are best to request for divers (are the Tropical Casita Suites worth the surcharge)?

Any comments would be welcome.

My first trip was to Cozumel 4 years ago.
It's amazing that those hotels weren't even there when I went. I hear the place has built up so much since then.

Sorry I can't offer any advice on the hotels, but you are going to love the diving there. The best drift diving anywhere I've been.

Have fun, Be safe, and let us know how the trip went when you get back.

We have stayed at FA four times and love it. All dive ops pick up at the FA pier with no problem.Take your own lock and you can use their lockers at no cost. Get a room above the third floor. The casitas have no view and are very humid.

This last trip we did AI mainly for breakfast, lunch and drinks and went into town for dinner about 5 times. The cost was about the same as previous years. If you do AI, they say you can eat at the very nice restaurant 2X.....you can really go as many times if you talk to the maitre'd

Taxi is $8 or 9 one way into town.

We'll be there in May

Divemaster Dean:
My first trip was to Cozumel 4 years ago.
It's amazing that those hotels weren't even there when I went. I hear the place has built up so much since then.

Although it's true that Cozumel is being built up, things are not moving quite that fast. Both the Fiesta Americana and Hotel Cozumel have been there for many more years than that.

The Hotel Cozumel has changed names several times; you may have known it as Brisas. The Fiesta Americana is pretty far south - about midway between the Presidente and the southern resorts.

a buddy of mine and his wife recently stayed at FA and liked it very much, they said the food was good and had no complaints. she has worked as a travel agent for years and has a very critical eye for things and they travel a lot, so i take her word when she likes a place. they stayed in on of the bigger rooms and liked the extra space, but that's about all i can say about that.
your choice of dive op should be no problem, i think all the dive ops will pick you up at the hotel of your choice south of town, the only place most dive ops won't venture is in the north hotel corridor because it's too far to boat up to and then go way down south to the reefs. just double check with whoever your choose, but i can't see it being a problem. We just dove with Dive with Martin and had a great time. see my trip report, "trip report, woo hoo", on this board. Blue XT Sea is also a very popular op.
$10 to town sounds about right, it shouldn't be more than that and cabs are readily available at all the hotels, fares are set by the government so you don't have to worry about being ripped off, it will always be the same price to and from town. And please do go to town and get some local flavor, so many of the hotels are going all inclusive some of us "regulars" are getting worried about the in town resaurants and businesses getting the short end of the stick. there are some really good places to eat down there!! Primas, Casa Denis, the French Quarter, Rock n Java, Ernesto's, La Mission and Playa Corona is just down the street from FA a little ways, nice place to snorkel and they have good food also. Rent a jeep one day and drive around the island, it doesn't take very long so take your time. Coconuts is a favorite stop over on the Carribean side, good food, GREAT margaritas and a very pretty setting looking out over the Carribean sea.
don't know a thing about Hotel Coz, sorry, have a great trip, you'll love the diving and get hooked like the rest of us!!
God bless,
the shark

Haven't stayed at FA but have read reports that hotel is starting to show wear. Yes any dive op will pick up at their pier without any problems.

I have stayed at the Hotel Cozumel (old Fiesta Inn) we liked it very much. The rooms are cold but most face the pool.There are some rooms that overlook the ocean on floors 2 & 3

We chose it because it is close to town 3.00US cab ride to town or short 15 min walk and we like the pool (largest on the island).pool. It is not deep though plus they have a nice size hot tub.

Their beach club across the street is also very nice it has a small beach area, chairs and steps and ladder down to the water. They have an open air resturant there as well as a small pool. The rinse tanks and gear lockers are right off the pier.

I thought the food was good, but I have never heard anyone rave about the food at any of the hotels except for maybe The Presidente. We at most of our meals at the hotel since we went AI but did go to town sometimes for dinner. AI was cheap enough even if we only ate breakfast and lunch there.

http://www.hotelcozumel.com.mx/

I am sure where ever you choose you will have a wonderful time since it is your first time. All of us Cozaholics have our favorite places. The diving is wonderful. Have you chosen a dive op yet?

I totally agree about eating in town...Guidos, Prima, Casa Denis, La Choza, El Moro (in town) La Choza We just found that including the AI was less expensive than paying for drinks, breakfast and lunch at the hotel and we still went out to town for dinner 5 times and our cost was less or the same as in previous years.

We stayed at Hotel Cozumel in June and the food was pretty bad. But that just made going to town that much more inviting.

bcampy1:
My wife & I are making our first dive trip to Coz in late October. (We were redirected from Grand Cayman when our timeshare was damaged by Ivan ) We're being joined by 4 others, 3 of whom are divers.

I've researched various hotel options and have whittled our choice down to 2 - Fiesta Americana and Hotel Coz and am leaning toward FA.

The main pros I see for FA - nice pool & beach area, especially nice for our 1 non-diver; good proximity to dive sites; good shore-diving.

I have several concerns/questions though. One is whether FA is too isolated; the appeal of Hotel Coz is its proximity to downtown. Is it easy to get a taxi to/from downtown and really only about 10 bucks? The second is the food quality (related to #1 since we'd have less options to eat elsewhere if resort is isolated), although I haven't read that the food would be outstanding at Hotel Coz. The third is whether we'd have a problem using an alternative dive op at FA (are there any specific ones that have better relations or proximity to FA). Finally, what room locations are best to request for divers (are the Tropical Casita Suites worth the surcharge)?

Any comments would be welcome.

ask about going across to playa del carmen for the dive 'los arcos'. max depth 100 feet on the wall, a few swimthroughs, sharks, other nice things to look at....the arcs are amazing if you have a camera you should definitely get a shot of them...i dont know if its worth it to go across into pdc for a dive because ive never been to coz but that was just a great dive.

Last year we went for TS presentation down there. Suits were pretty nice. But we valued the oportunity to _walk_ to downtown in 15 minutes from Brisas-Hotel Cozumel higher then ride on taxi.

Out of 4 times we were staing on island - 3 times we had positive exp with Hotel Cozumel. First time it was pretty bad - food was not good and i cut my head in bathroom... But last time it was great - we were there in late Dec 03.

My wife loves than the water is deeper "right now " and she really don't like sand for some reason :06: . So our vote was and still is for decent hotel in close proximity of town.
But it's just us.

Back
Top Bottom