First Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi:

My wife and I are 'warm water' recreational divers. We have about 100 dives each, but they are spread over several years, so I would describe us as novices with some experience. We are going to get Nitrox certified on our next vacation. Even if we are lucky enough to take two vacations a year, I don't think we would ever do more than 30 dives a year.

I want to buy dive computers for XMAS. So far I am leaning toward the Suunto Vyper, $304 at Leisure Pro. I want to make sure I buy the features we need, but considering I am going to buy two computers I don't want to buy more features then we need.

I've read a lot of good things on the Board about the Vyper. And I can afford to buy two of them, so my question is: Is the Vyper the best bang for the buck or does anyone have any better recommnedations?

Also, it seems like all the posts I read favor wrist mount over console. Can anybody explain the advantages of wrist mount? I would think a wrist mount would get banged into everything and the band would be subject to breaking and that it is another piece of expensive equiqment to keep track of or get stolen. But I guess there are many advantages I am not aware of. What am I missing here?

One of the great things about this Board is that it can take me from idiot level to a fair amount of knowledge pretty quickly.

We made our decisoin to buy our Olympus 5050 camera from the posts I read on the Board. It was a great decision. This Board is a terrific resource.

thanks,
Mario

The Vyper is a popular computer with a good reputation. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

While advocates of wrist-mounted computers are both common and vocal on Scubaboard, if you look around any boat in a resort zone, you will see that a large percentage of the rigs have consoles. Kind of a vocal minority vs. silent majority sort of thing.

If you are driving around on a scooter, or if you swim around with your hands folded together in prayer in front of you, then the wrist mount instruments are easily visible.

I, however, tuck my hands back in a streamlined position,either on the bottom of my tank or across each other at the waist, and looking at wrist mounted instruments would require me to get out of my normal swimming position.

I prefer console mounting -- that way both my SPG and computer are in one place. I use a pin-mounted D-ring to clip it off low on my left chest strap, about even with my lower ribs. I just glance down to see both spg and computer.

Clearly, both wrist and console mounting work. Take your pick.

Charlie

In case you go for the wrist-mounted option, make sure your wife is confortable with the Vyper. As a woman with small wrists, I find the Vyper way too cumbersome for me. I tried it, and decided instead to go for the Mosquito. I do not find the smaller numbers to be a problem.

-- Itziar

I have an Aeris Atmos 2 which I am very happy with, and I got it for around $270 at my LDS (plus tax) in New York City. I would urge you to take a look at it (it has an excellent intuitive display).

After having dove both a console and wrist mount...

a) No, wrist mount is not more likely to get banged around. In fact, it's far less so. How often do you swing your wrist into something? If you're walking around swinging your wrist into rocks and doorways, I'd say you have bigger issues than gear configuration. :)

b) It's easier to read. I don't dive with my hands in front of me 'prayer style' and I've never scootered. I do dive with my hands together, just hanging at my shoulders or tucked into my belly. I never have to root around to find my console, and I don't have some brick hanging off my hip.

c) It's easier to read in an emergency... if I have to do an ascent vertically, my inflator is over my left shoulder. I'm looking up, but my console is below me. If my depth and ascent information is on the other wrist, it's right there where I need it. Always.

d) the band breaking issue is a non-issue - especially if you bungee the Vyper. Double bungee loops - do a search here on Scubaboard if you're unfamiliar - mean you have redundancy in band strength and an ease in donning and doffing.

I don't buy the "silent majority/vocal minority" argument. I believe that a console is simply pushed by more LDS's. :p

Thanks for all the responses. Now I have a better idea about which way to go.

I am leaning toward a wrist model, probably the Vyper for me, but I am going to take Itziar's advice and make sure it is not too big for my wife's wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom