Am I allowed to start a new "what computer" thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OSTC sounds good too, thanks. I am aware of the brand as a couple of my technical diving buddies had them many years ago. Battery system is ideal. Not sure if I can get one in NZ or my forthcoming holiday destinations, but this purchase might be down the line and I can order from overseas. I still have one functioning HelO2 (and my wife's Gekko should I feel the need to dive with two computers). That said, I have a horrible feeling the HelO2 is about to crap out. If that happens, I'll be buying ASAP.

I went down your path recently and, after a lot of time online, settled on German manufacture Heinrich Weikamp (HW)

I was/am very interested in HW computers, but it just seems much easier to buy and get service for Shearwater in Canada / US. The opposite could be true in (parts of Europe). Elsewhere I don't know.

I'm an OSTC Sport user, and it has to be one of the best computers ever. Completely sealed great visibility, great battery life. Super robust. Although a fried got the iRatio X3M2 and I really like it. Works much better than the first version. And is really readable.

Not sure if I can get one in NZ or my forthcoming holiday destinations, but this purchase might be down the line and I can order from overseas.

I'm next door in Hobart and ordered from the HW website. They shipped from Germany and it took just over a week to arrive. You'll need to source the 14500 battery locally as DHL don't seem to transport lithium batteries.

I agree if you're based in the US/Canada then Shearwater is the way to go.

Comments about the Peregrine are positive. The only downside I can see is the factory replaceable battery. Seems like a hassle, but guess I could live with it.
I don’t know of any dive computers that have both a user replaceable battery and a battery that can be recharged in the case. It’s usually one or the other.

Edit: Reading the rest of this thread, it seem that HW may offer a user replaceable battery with wireless charging. They aren’t available in my area, so not on my radar.

In the Shearwater line, the Teric and Peregrine can be charged wirelessly in the case, but battery replacements happen at the Service Center. The Perdix and Petrels have user replaceable batteries, but they can’t be charged in the case.

Based on your criteria, the Peregrine would be perfect for you, unless you want your computer to include a digital compass.

It's funny, I use a digital compass as a primary for land based activities, but couldn't bring myself to trust one underwater. I've just realised that's a bit illogical, maybe I should get with the programme!? In the meantime, no compass on the computer required.

It's funny, I use a digital compass as a primary for land based activities, but couldn't bring myself to trust one underwater. I've just realised that's a bit illogical, maybe I should get with the programme!? In the meantime, no compass on the computer required.
I get that. I’ve had a compass on my dive computers for a while. I just never used them until recently, and only when I got a backup DC. I’ve found the compass on the Oceanic was hard to use, and hid Other pieces of dive info when it was active. The compass on the Perdix was easier to use, but still took the place of other info I wanted to have visible, so I opted for an analog compass until I got a backup DC.

Now, I use the backup DC if I need to use a compass.

I like the clarity of Teric display even in the dark environments. Figure 1 (below) I took it with iPhone 14 camera on my office desk. Figure 2 (below Figure 1) is the display taken with my shaky left hand with GoPro stick, while hovering in the 38.1m depth. So please excuse me for the poor quality of Figure 2. It is better to see it in the video at the bottom.

You can set it up such a way that you see everything you need to know in one glance to the display without pressing any button.

From Figure 2 (using Figure 1 as reference), the top display shows the depth at 38.1m.

The green dot is where the target of my dive, a Tuna Wreck in Similan, Thailand, as shown in the video, below.

The red arrow is where the north is.

The yellow block with number 3, at 10 o’clock location, is how much NDL I have left, which is 3 minutes.

The number 171, at 3 o’clock location, is how much air pressure I have left in the tank (171 bar).

The number 28, near the center, is the water temperature at that depth (28C).

The number 55, at 8 o’clock location, is my Surf GF (55%).

The numbers 15 and 1.5, below T1, at 4 o’clock location, are my GTR ( Gas Time Remaining, 15 minutes) and my SAC (Surface Air Consumption, 1.5 bar/min).

The number 8:53, at 6 o’clock location, is the dive time at that moment (8 minutes and 53 seconds).

The number 21, below 8:53, is the O2 concentration (21%), which is air.

Setting up the dive computer is very easy and logical, like night and day in comparison to my head scratching SUUNTO D4.

So, I highly recommend Shearwater Teric!

IMG_0228.jpeg

Figure 1

IMG_1718.jpeg

Figure 2

I specifically DON'T want air integration. Maybe it works these days, but I've had a bad experience in the past.

I think the transmitter reliability has improved quite a bit since your bad experience. I have no problem with AI in my Teric. I have used it for over 2 years (570 dives) and still have the original battery in the transmitter. Never lost connection (knock on wood). Have spare batteries in my toolbox, just in case it goes caput while diving. Also I have SPG as a back up.

Having AI add more useful data to your dive computer, such as GTR, SAC, T1. Just glance to your Teric, you see everything you need to know during your dive. No need to grab on the SPG to wander how much gas left you have.

Back
Top Bottom