First computer -what should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing my first computer and want something around $300 or less. What can I hope to get for that. Nitrox capable would be nice.

What about OMS and Suunto?

Suunto Vyper is a fabulous computer for the money. If you really want to go cheap and simple, the Genesis Resource is nice. It doesn't have all the frills as the Vyper but gets the job done.

I used a Suunto in class, so I bought the Vytec. Easy to use and seems to be highly recommended by most people I come into contact.
Ranz

I recommend the Suunto Vyper.. It's feature rich nitrox capable pc downloadable etc. etc. best of all you will not out grow it as it has a guage mode function wich will turn it into a bottom timer if one was to partake in Trimix and Extended range diving!!

Good Luck,

Len

Although I dove with a Suunto this past weekend and liked it, I thought I heard someone mention that the Vyper only stores 9 dives. Does this disappoint anyone who uses one?

astrl

Originally posted by astrl
Although I dove with a Suunto this past weekend and liked it, I thought I heard someone mention that the Vyper only stores 9 dives. Does this disappoint anyone who uses one?

astrl

You may have missed hearing a few extra 9's. The Vyper holds 999 dives or 999 hours.

So no disapointment.

Hrm... although the Suunto book only mentions this limitation on the Favor computers, I could have sworn that the LDS I was at mentioned this for the Vyper or Cobra as well when they were comparing it to the Uwatec.

astrl :confused:

Guess whch brand your LDS gets the most margin on then?

Vytec and Vyper store 999 hours of info. Actually its not quite that simple as the amount is influenced by the sample interval you set (mines every 10 seconds). The Suunto software is brilliant and far better than even the latest Uwatec Smart stuff (i use both)

don't know if you want a console comp or a wrist mounted one, but i got a genesis react console one off of ebay for $250. it came with the pressure guage and compass and worked perfect. it is nitrox capable and stores 250 dives before having to download to a pc.

software is kinda expensive at $149 but i figured i can wait a bit and save up some nuggets to get it later.

i also use my trusty citizen hyper aqualand i also got off of ebay for $250. it is also pc downloadable.

not an advertisement for ebay, but i hate paying full price for stuff that you can get at a discounted price. be carefull though who you're buying off of and you shouldn't be disappointed.

happy diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom