First computer purchase - which shearwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What were you able to add to the main screen with the perdix that you couldn't with the peregrine?
I switched to the tec mode as Belzelbub mentioned above which gave me more options to add Surf GF and GF99. I like the safety stop countdown better than the rec mode too. We do a lot of shore dives and tend to swim in on our safety stop, the countdown and haptics help keep track of it.

Another thing to consider is the battery. The Perdix runs on a user-replaceable AA battery, whereas the others use a built-in lithium ion battery that is not user serviceable. There have been issues with earlier Terics needing battery replacements (several threads on SB discuss this more). Below are just a few

Reportedly the newer Terics have not had as many problems. To my knowledge, similar issues haven't occurred with the Peregrine. The Tern is so new that it's unknown if it will have the same problems as some of the Terics did.

Arguments against the Perdix are that it is possible to have the battery compartment flood if not closed properly or you don't care for the o-rings.

I chose the Perdix partly because of the AA battery and I've been very happy with it.

I am not answering the question you asked directly, but I wanted to mention a couple of things that might be helpful.

Given the types of dives you described, I would recommend giving a thought to a puck-style computer (for example google cressi leonardo).

The biggest advantage of those computers, is that they are indestructible and basically require no care or maintenance. You can toss them around on the dive boat, people can step on them and nothing will happen. They also have all the functionality you would need to do any recreational dive. But should anything happen and the computer for example got broken or lost, it costs pennies (compared to SW products) to buy a new one. So essentially a puck style computer is a piece of gear that you don't have to think or worry about. It just works

The cons are: it will not be as sexy and slick as a SW product, it will not have AI either that you wanted.

If I had a choice between being stuck forever either with a puck style computer + spg vs SW + AI, I would go with the puck option because it needs less care and worry

But thats a personal preference of course. If you want a sexy and better looking dive computer with a nicer display, then ignore everything I wrote :)

Just wanted to mention pucks as an option
Why would you even waste time writing all of this when Op VERY CLEARLY stated “I do want air integration”???? Geez.

I switched to the tec mode as Belzelbub mentioned above which gave me more options to add Surf GF and GF99.
I have both of those displayed in rec mode as well. A firmware update a little while back added the ability to fully customize mini displays. That was a great enhancement IMO. My bottom row has my pressure displayed full size, and a mini display showing SurfGF, GF99, and GTR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom