First BP/W for me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah you don’t need to get everything from the same place. VDH makes the best wings. You can buy the backplate, harness package, cam bands, weight pockets, etc, from dive gear express. That’s what I did, exactly, and I’m really happy about my decision.

The DRIS package I'm looking at is still cheaper by about $50. Plus I like the convertibility of the DRIS wing. I dive mainly cold water in 7mm but take the occasional trip south.

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/mirage-23-38lb-bp-w-package.html

The Deep6 was listed at $158-299, although now it is listed at $175-333. I really can't compare much more than that however because the package is not configurable when out of stock.

I am sure VDH makes good wings...but "the best"?...that is just an opinion.

Why would one want to buy cam bands and a plate from a different supplier when purchasing a BP/W for the first time? I can understand when replacing items but not when seeking out a package for the first time or a package at all. Your strategy makes little sense from marketing or consumer standpoint.

To each their own, I guess.

-Z

The DRIS package I'm looking at is still cheaper by about $50. Plus I like the convertibility of the DRIS wing. I dive mainly cold water in 7mm but take the occasional trip south.

Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package
The Deep6 was listed at $158-299, although now it is listed at $175-333. I really can't compare much more than that however because the package is not configurable when out of stock.

Just realize that the mirage wing from dris requires an sta to use. I found this design interesting from the standpoint that it is for single tank set ups. Most plates being made today come with slots for tank straps so I find it odd that a single tank wing would have a solid panel requiring those who are just interested in buying the wing to invest another $30 to $60 in an sta when there are so many other wings out there for single tank setups that don't.

-Z

I like dris but if you look at their package if you go with the standard price and not with any of the cost plus options you are looking at a HOG aluminum plate and a HOG harness....albeit you could opt for a lite monkey harness but I think the HOG one has slightly better reviews. I looked at this package around thanksgiving as I decided what to purchase for my daughter for Xmas....I wound up getting her an Edge-HOG package that included the HOG Al plate, hogarthian harness, and 360 wing with bungee loops. The only thing we spent a tad extra on were a pair of qr cam straps that I just replaced with normal ones.

The reviews I read about the mirage were good but it seemed like one would settle on which cover they preferred and just stuck with that for the majority of their diving.

Dris does have excellent customer service.

Give Jim Lapenta a shout on here...he is a HOG dealer...also give the good folks at DRIS a call and see what kind of price you can get for a complete HOG package....that is if you are not committed to the mirage package.

-Z

Edit: I just looked and the DRIS price for the HOG package is $395. I think a wing with slots is a bit more versatile...especially if you plan to travel as you won't need to pack an sta.

I have looked at the HOG as well. It's currently a close 2nd. I don't see how you came up with $395 though. The only HOG package I see is $444 and has a Hollis harness which if switched out for Hogarthian would be about $400, but with Al plate and 23 kb wing. I am looking at a steal bp and the 32 lb wing. I also am looking at getting the STA. I'm not sure if I need it or not but with it being part of the DRIS package its a bonus. One of the reasons I am switching to BP/W is that my tank flops around with my current bc. I dive 133s and figure the STA would be very helpful in keeping the tank in place.

I have 3 months before dive season so am still weighing my options. Currently DRIS followed closely by HOG. Of couse I am still hoping to see pricing on Deep6 as well.....

What's with the Deep6 'coated' harness? Is it more comfortable or durable, or more stiff? Is it harder to cut/melt the ends? I plan to do some customization, but am worried I may not like the 'coating'.

What's with the Deep6 'coated' harness? Is it more comfortable or durable, or more stiff? Is it harder to cut/melt the ends? I plan to do some customization, but am worried I may not like the 'coating'.

I saw one post where someone mentioned that the fittings tend to slip. Not really much of a problem when you can purchase new webbing relatively cheap.
Harness Accessories Piranha Dive Shop |

I have looked at the HOG as well. It's currently a close 2nd. I don't see how you came up with $395 though. The only HOG package I see is $444 and has a Hollis harness which if switched out for Hogarthian would be about $400, but with Al plate and 23 kb wing. I am looking at a steal bp and the 32 lb wing. I also am looking at getting the STA. I'm not sure if I need it or not but with it being part of the DRIS package its a bonus. One of the reasons I am switching to BP/W is that my tank flops around with my current bc. I dive 133s and figure the STA would be very helpful in keeping the tank in place.

I have 3 months before dive season so am still weighing my options. Currently DRIS followed closely by HOG. Of couse I am still hoping to see pricing on Deep6 as well.....

Out of 4 Divers in my household 3 Of us use back plates and wings and the only reason my wife has not converted is because she bought a new bed a couple of years ago but has only used it once due to recurring sinus infections and lower back problems that has kept her out of the water for a while. None of us use an STA and none of us have any issues with the tank moving around on us, we all use 2 cam straps on our rigs.

An STA tends to hold the tank further away from the diver's back, some say this affects their stability, some don't notice it.

Here is the link to the $395 HOG package at DRIS, you get a choice of aluminum or stainless backplate with no price increase:
Hog Hogarthian Package

I think the tank straps are extra but the price they are asking for the highland tank straps is not bad. I would send a PM to @Jim Lapenta here on scubaboard and see what kind of pricing he can offer you for a complete package.

-Z

I am sure VDH makes good wings...but "the best"?...that is just an opinion.

Why would one want to buy cam bands and a plate from a different supplier when purchasing a BP/W for the first time? I can understand when replacing items but not when seeking out a package for the first time or a package at all. Your strategy makes little sense from marketing or consumer standpoint.

To each their own, I guess.

-Z
You still have to assemble it all yourself, so I have a hard time seeing what's so difficult about buying from more than one source. You have two cardboard boxes to dispose of?

The only option where buying a package really makes sense to me is if you buy the DGX package for 299, because that's such a good deal. If you don't want that, why not pay 250 for a high quality wing, then 75 for a backplate, 15 dollars for webbing, 30 bucks for cam straps and 10 dollars for assorted hardware? It's still sub 400 dollars...why does it being sold as a "package" matter?

While I'm a proponent of the VDH wing, in general, you should look at getting a "modern style" narrow wing if you're doing single tank diving primarily. These include the VDH wings, Oxycheq, and the Mares XR line. Not sure if there are others of this style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom