First BP/W for me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm going to BP/W! No hurry. I'm taking my time to get things organized. But, here's my plan so far. Critique please, but be nice.

Objectives
Warm water only
travel only (minimum weight)
clutter free and neat
right-size the wing (no bigger than necessary)
single AL80 only, never steel or 100cf
Easy in/out (shoulder has reduced ranged of motion)

My current setup
Seaquest Malibu BC
w/3mm shorty - 14lbs total (6 lbs ditchable)
neutral Deep6 Eddy fins
normal gear (light/DSMB/reel/camera)

My proposed setup
Hollis aluminum backplate
DIY harness, hogarthian, no padding, but with QR added on shoulder straps
Apeks WTX-D18 Single Cylinder Wing 18lb
two DGX Tank Straps
four small OMS trip weight pockets mounted on BP in the corners
two XS Scuba QR single weight pockets on harness belt

Undecided
Crotch strap
webbing loop for tank height placement
Maybe add 1" webbing overlapping the 2" harness straps - sewn molle style. I like

Shortcomings
No weight on body, in case don/doff BP/W at depth
Maybe too many weight pockets on BP - will have to experiment
25 lbs DGX wing might offer more flexibility

I'm guessing my current Malibu BCD has some inherent buoyancy (padding and such). Maybe I'll drop a couple of pounds of lead when I go BP/W.

I'm going to use plastic footman's loops to mount the OMS trip pockets on the BP. Two per pocket. Should be neat and clean, and removable or relocatable if needed.

I like molle accessories, like Web Dominators, and think they would be good alternatives to the normal bungee loop or innertube straps to prevent gear dangling.

That's a lot of weight pouches. Do you need that much weight in warm tropical waters? What sort of exposure protection are you looking for?

I would go with two of the Dive Rite trim pockets on the camband and that's it. Put 4 pounds in each, put whatever else you need on a weight belt if you really need it.

A crotch strap is necessary.

I'd got with an 18-20lb wing, Oxycheq or VDH or similar.

Keep MOLLE stuff off your rig. There's no need. I'm not aware if they make 2" web dominators, but they're unnecessary. Once your harness is the proper length, just cut the excess. Webbing is cheap to replace.

Why not just mount the trim weight pockets onto the cam bands? When I'm diving warm water, I have my bp/w set up with only trim pockets on the cam bands. Works great. For cold water, I add on big ditchable weight pockets that hold about 10 lbs each.

Also, move crotch strap from the undecided column to your proposed set up column. They work great and aren't at all intrusive, other that looking a little goofy grabbing it from between your legs when gearing up. Helps a lot with keeping the bp/w down and letting your run the shoulder straps a lot looser.

It’s a good start, although is there a reason you don’t go with an entire package from DGX? Makes it simple, functional, flexible and cost effective. Because of your need of a QR just add a slider from sub gravity for $10 to a simple Hog harness. Certainly go with a crotch strap, 1” is fine for warm/no DPV. As mentioned, depending on your exposure suit (shorty, full, rash guard?) then you can decide on pockets and placement. Warm water doff of gear is far less of a concern than thick wetsuit/cold water. Also, there are good soft plates out there if you really wanna travel light.

If using your current set up for weighting, remove 2-4 lbs for your bcd and 2 for the BP. Leaves 8-10 lbs......so 2 pockets on the cam band or waist should do.

.. Critique please, but be nice....
I'm with @JohnnyC .....Oxycheq

It's doesn't sound like you've reached the most fun and confusing part yet.............

Clips, Keeps, and D-rings

What do you plan for those?

Wow.. that was fast.

I'm not convinced about the crotch strap. I don't mind the idea, so I'll probably give it a try. I've just never felt insecure with just the shoulder/waist. Never had the BC ride up while diving or on the surface. Maybe that happens more often with a separate weight belt.

I want the weight below the wing on the BP, not above on the cam band. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I have a fair amount of 'personal lift' and worry about being unstable while horizontal. I hate rolling to the side.

Yes, four pockets on the BP is likely too many. I just don't know about the weight distribution. I'd like the option of adding more weight higher or lower on the BP as I'm relearning trim. If I use only two pockets, I'd want them easily moved until I found my sweet spot. Any way to easily mount and then move them?

As far as the MOLLE stuff, I would stitch 1" webbing on top of the 2". Maybe just a few strips under the chest D-rings I currently use a loop of bungee to keep my flashlight from dangling, and find it wanting. I have four different lights of different sizes and the bungee loop is never at the right place or the right length. My dominators are SO EASY to move and use, I thought they would work well to keep things secure. I would have already tried some if they came in 2" flavor. Maybe I'll make some and test...

I haven't priced everything out yet. I did look at the DGX package, but not the Subgravity. Maybe that is more competitive. I did relish the idea of buying parts over several months, or looking for used stuff here. Takes the sting out of it, or maybe I just perceive it that way.

I really liked getting the 18lb wing. DGX has a 25lbs, and Subravity 26lbs. If 18lbs is enough for me, does 25lbs detract from my experience? More likely to taco, more drag?

As far as clips, keeps, and d-rings, I was going to setup much like the Pirhana harness, but without the extra ring coupler on the chest strap. https://www.piranhadivemfg.com/shop...lease-Adjustable-Comfort-Harness1907-3151.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. I'll modify my plans to incorporate what I learn.

Wow.. that was fast.

I'm not convinced about the crotch strap. I don't mind the idea, so I'll probably give it a try. I've just never felt insecure with just the shoulder/waist. Never had the BC ride up while diving or on the surface. Maybe that happens more often with a separate weight belt.

I want the weight below the wing on the BP, not above on the cam band. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I have a fair amount of 'personal lift' and worry about being unstable while horizontal. I hate rolling to the side.

I really liked getting the 18lb wing. DGX has a 25lbs, and Subravity 26lbs. If 18lbs is enough for me, does 25lbs detract from my experience? More likely to taco, more drag?

No one is convinced about the crotch strap until they use one. Then it all makes sense. Kinda like a bp/w in general. It's way more comfortable running a crotch strap and the shoulder straps quite loose then running no crotch strap and the shoulder straps tight.

I tuck my trim pockets up against the tank basically, so the weight is wedge in between the tank and the backplate. I, too, am "blessed" with a fair amount of personal lift and I have had no problems with rolling with this set up.

As I do cold water diving as much, if not more, than warmer stuff, my wing right now is a Hollis S38 with 38 lbs of lift. I just got back from the bahamas and didn't notice any tacoing issues or anything weird like that. Would something smaller be less drag? Absolutely. Is it going to be night and day between an 18 and a 25? No way. I've been keeping an eye out for a smaller wing for warm water/pool work, but mainly for ease of packing.

Use a crotch strap. Full stop. No waffling.

Don’t bother sewing any webbing on so you can use web dominators. Get proper inner tube or neoprene keepers to hold your lights streamlined. I never understand why people try and use bungee to capture things. It’s round, it slides. Bungee itself is only good for things Where the bungee itself is captured, like inflator hoses or as a necklace for your secondary

Weight pockets on the cam band are VERY common and it’s the only weight I have in my rig. It’s not an issue, it won’t flip you turtle.

Getting a larger wing isn’t a big deal as long as it’s skinny enough that it doesn’t taco. I like my 18lb because it’s streamlined and travels easily, but when DM’ing I’d use my Halcyon wing for more lift because I would often have to carry more weight or deal with other people. Now I just let them drown and rifle through their wallet later.

For the easiest turnkey solution I’d just get the DGX single tank package. It’s cheap and has everything you need.

OK, the way I've built it... $600 with 18lbs wing; $435 with 25lbs wing

DGX, plus extras to make it similar... $380 (but pure hog harness, without QR for my shoulder)

So.. 18lbs vs 25lbs... that's the rub...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom