First BP/W for me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I'd wear a small weight belt. Its good in general and helps declutter the bottom of the BP/W. Moving your bottom two pockets to the belt gives you trim adjustment options. The trim pockets do not hold much, 2-3+ lb. each, but that covers your trim adjustment needs and gives you a bit of ballast if you want to mess with your rig, or ditch something. If you dial in your general trim and find you need more than the pockets hold, put a small fixed weight on either side of the belt, but keep a pound in each pocket and space for more in that pocket. Then you can move that pound up higher or a pound down lower if you find you were wrong, without needing to rethread the belt.

Thanks. Now I understand your meaning. And I agree that would be best, especially for making it easier to don/doff underwater. However, I'm shaped like a pear, and HATE weight belts. I know once I'm horizontal it doesn't matter. Getting into the water is awkward and embarrassing. Adding a weight harness (belt with suspenders) just adds too much clutter.

Thanks. Now I understand your meaning. And I agree that would be best, especially for making it easier to don/doff underwater. However, I'm shaped like a pear, and HATE weight belts. I know once I'm horizontal it doesn't matter. Getting into the water is awkward and embarrassing. Adding a weight harness (belt with suspenders) just adds too much clutter.
Understand. Plus, a weight belt does add complexity with the crotch strap, in terms of which is over/under the other. I use one with BP/W but it adds complexity. +1 on the crotch strap, not essential, but good.

Sorry @KWS Vacation scuba only. No room for tanks in the luggage :)
Sorry when you rent rent a steel or a al100 that will reduce the lead yo carry.

I have a pair of the dgx trim pockets and would recommend something like the dive rite ones that close with Velcro and a buckle. The dgx ones only close with velcro, and I am always concerned that they might eventually pop open and the weight will fall out. I am thinking about putting loops of bungee or zip ties around the dgx ones as an extra measure to ensure they stay closed.

-Z

Would not want to dive without a crotch strap, between that and a tight waist strap, the bp/w is nice and secure, allowing you to leave the shoulder straps fairly loose, which makes life a lot easier getting in and out.

I would not opt for a weight belt either. I only have 4 lbs of added lead, distributed in 4 trim pockets, 2 on the top cam band (as close to the wing as possible which is easy with an STA) and 2 on the waist (also right on the wing). The waist trim pockets are mounted upside down, so I can ditch 2 mighty lbs. Plenty of space for more weights in there if required. For trim pockets I use the Scubapro X-Tek, they come with velco and buckle.

Agree with all about wanting/needing a crotch strap.

One of the differences between a BP/W and a Jacket/vest style BCD is how it fits, especially with a simple harness with or without quick release shoulder straps.

With a jacket/vest one typically pulls the cummerbund tight, then clip the waist belt and pull the end of those tight, then snug up the shoulder straps.

A BP/W is worn much looser on the shoulders, and because there is no cummerbund or any friction between the back of the diver and the back plate, the back plate will ride up into an ackward position when the diver is vertical in the water, particularly at the surface. The crotch strap keeps the back plate properly and comfortably in place....one does not feel it when diving and it is remarkably not uncomfortable when the diver is vertical/at the surface...one might think it would crush one's berries but it doesn't.

It has been stated in other posts by a few people. that when adjusted properly, one can dive with just the waist and crotch strap on a BP/W, in the water the shoulder straps are relatively unnecessary....which is interesting from the standpoint of all the folks who consider a quick release or adjustable shoulder strap to be a failure point on the harness...if it fails it would only affect the walk to and from the water...it would have relatively minimal impact on activities in the water.

-Z

Agree with all about wanting/needing a crotch strap.

One of the differences between a BP/W and a Jacket/vest style BCD is how it fits, especially with a simple harness with or without quick release shoulder straps.

With a jacket/vest one typically pulls the cummerbund tight, then clip the waist belt and pull the end of those tight, then snug up the shoulder straps.

A BP/W is worn much looser on the shoulders, and because there is no cummerbund or any friction between the back of the diver and the back plate, the back plate will ride up into an ackward position when the diver is vertical in the water, particularly at the surface. The crotch strap keeps the back plate properly and comfortably in place....one does not feel it when diving and it is remarkably not uncomfortable when the diver is vertical/at the surface...one might think it would crush one's berries but it doesn't.

It has been stated in other posts by a few people. that when adjusted properly, one can dive with just the waist and crotch strap on a BP/W, in the water the shoulder straps are relatively unnecessary....which is interesting from the standpoint of all the folks who consider a quick release or adjustable shoulder strap to be a failure point on the harness...if it fails it would only affect the walk to and from the water...it would have relatively minimal impact on activities in the water.

-Z
This was all very well put. I agree, you would be crazy to dive without a crotch strap. It makes life so much easier and once you’re in the water you don’t feel it at all. I do think you can go with a 1 inch or 1.5 inch one though, unless you plan to build your whole setup from a single piece of webbing.

I h
I have a pair of the dgx trim pockets and would recommend something like the dive rite ones that close with Velcro and a buckle. The dgx ones only close with velcro, and I am always concerned that they might eventually pop open and the weight will fall out. I am thinking about putting loops of bungee or zip ties around the dgx ones as an extra measure to ensure they stay closed.

-Z
I have the Dive Rite trim pockets with velcro and buckle and am pleased with their performance. I was less pleased when a friend bought these which have the same features (though attached with the webbing through the back of the pocket, not with velcro) for less than half the price. Quality looks to be quite good as well. I'd go with those for trim pockets if I had to do it again.

The first set I got (XS Scuba) I returned as 1 lb (and maybe 2 lb) soft weights could fall out the large holes in the pockets. That problem is not evident in either the Dive Rite or Palantic pockets however.

I also agree on the crotch strap as pretty much necessary. I wouldn't like to dive without mine now.

As for lift, I use a 30 lb Halcyon Eclipse wing and it doesn't seem to taco up even with no wetsuit in the Caribbean, for a reference point.

I h

I have the Dive Rite trim pockets with velcro and buckle and am pleased with their performance. I was less pleased when a friend bought these which have the same features (though attached with the webbing through the back of the pocket, not with velcro) for less than half the price. Quality looks to be quite good as well. I'd go with those for trim pockets if I had to do it again.

The first set I got (XS Scuba) I returned as 1 lb (and maybe 2 lb) soft weights could fall out the large holes in the pockets. That problem is not evident in either the Dive Rite or Palantic pockets however.

I also agree on the crotch strap as pretty much necessary. I wouldn't like to dive without mine now.

As for lift, I use a 30 lb Halcyon Eclipse wing and it doesn't seem to taco up even with no wetsuit in the Caribbean, for a reference point.

I recently came across these but have no experience with them...the price looks good if even to just check them out:

4pcs/set Spare Black 600D Nylon Scuba Diving Weight Belt Pockets with Buckle | eBay

KEEP DIVING 2/3KG Scuba Diving Anti Slip Design Travel Trim Weight Pocket SP | eBay

-Z

I recently came across these but have no experience with them...the price looks good if even to just check them out:

4pcs/set Spare Black 600D Nylon Scuba Diving Weight Belt Pockets with Buckle | eBay

KEEP DIVING 2/3KG Scuba Diving Anti Slip Design Travel Trim Weight Pocket SP | eBay

-Z
I have 4 of the eBay special pockets and 2 dgx pockets. I've found I prefer the eBay special ones. They're a bit larger with how much weight they'll take (you can squeeze 5 lbs into each, although 3 is probably a happier amount). My only complaint is the quick release clasps are a little small. I wish they were a bit larger. For the price though, I can't complain. They get the job done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom