First BP/W for me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, the way I've built it... $600 with 18lbs wing; $435 with 25lbs wing

DGX, plus extras to make it similar... $380 (but pure hog harness, without QR for my shoulder)

So.. 18lbs vs 25lbs... that's the rub...

You'll notice the extra $200 in your pocket way before you notice the 7 lbs difference in wing volume.

..As far as clips, keeps, and d-rings, I was going to setup much like the Pirhana harness, but without the extra ring coupler on the chest strap....

You have a good solid plan for them. Don't be afraid to completely tear it down multiple times until it exactly solves every problem you have. I must have unstrapped my single harness a dozen times over my first 50 dives with it. Moving D-rings, switching stuff left to right, front to back clips and on and on. Just make mental notes each time when you dive with it when you say " Ohh I hate that" or " I can't reach that", "That D-ring moves-stop that!". Then go home "take pictures first" and tear it all down and put it all back together. There is no such thing as the "Correct way", it's just "Your Way" and what works for you. In the end you'll be like everyone else that owns a single strap rig and you'll never change or go back to your old style BCD.

Oh, and another thing, remember that your d-ring position is designed for you being horizontal and in trim in the water. What looks right while you’re standing in front of the mirror is probably not going to be optimal. For your first few dives take some wetnotes and write down what you want to change.

I'm all for four trim pockets, two high, two low. But you might switch the low ones for two pockets mounted on a web belt. The ScubaPro trim pockets work well, I've used them on two weight belts, and they have velcro and buckle. Or possibly the DGX trim pockets. Burn small holes in the center line of the belt, (nail, pliers, and stove burner) and use cave line to secure the pocket is place, or normal webbing clips.

Good advice so far.....
Also, the shape of the 25 wing is good so no real concern with taco/streamline etc. Save $200 spend on a good course. The pockets from XS use Velcro to mount so easy to move also UTD pockets secure with webbing so super easy and secure.

go to a steel tank in salt water or a al100.
crotch strap is a must IMO and made of very soft webbing.

I'm all for four trim pockets, two high, two low. But you might switch the low ones for two pockets mounted on a web belt. The ScubaPro trim pockets work well, I've used them on two weight belts, and they have velcro and buckle. Or possibly the DGX trim pockets. Burn small holes in the center line of the belt, (nail, pliers, and stove burner) and use cave line to secure the pocket is place, or normal webbing clips.

@MichaelMc Sorry, but I'm not quite following you. Could you please clarify? Do you mean to wear a weight belt instead of the 2 lower trim pockets on the BP? Or maybe you mean to use webbing to attach the 2 lower trim pockets onto the BP. Thanks!

go to a steel tank in salt water or a al100.
crotch strap is a must IMO and made of very soft webbing.

Sorry @KWS Vacation scuba only. No room for tanks in the luggage :)

@MichaelMc Sorry, but I'm not quite following you. Could you please clarify? Do you mean to wear a weight belt instead of the 2 lower trim pockets on the BP? Or maybe you mean to use webbing to attach the 2 lower trim pockets onto the BP. Thanks!
Yes, I'd wear a small weight belt, made of webbing, buckle, and two small attached pockets. Its good in general and helps declutter the bottom of the BP/W. Moving your bottom two pockets to the belt gives you trim adjustment options. The trim pockets do not hold much, 2-3+ lb. each, but that covers your trim adjustment needs and gives you a bit of ballast if you want to mess with your rig, or ditch something. If you dial in your general trim and find you need more than the pockets hold, put a small fixed weight on either side of the belt, but keep a pound in each pocket and space for more in that pocket. Then you can move that pound up higher or a pound down lower if you find you were wrong, without needing to rethread the belt.

Back
Top Bottom