First BP/W for me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Fathom044 @scrane @gr8jab

It's probably reading as 175 dollars because the wing is out of stock, and that's the price of the rest of the gear, sans wing.

The above is correct. The 'package' page is hidden once an essential component goes out of stock, because the price is calculated based on in stock items. Hence the incorrect price display. The page is left up for SEO reasons and search engine indexing, but is removed from visibility on the front of the site.

You still have to assemble it all yourself, so I have a hard time seeing what's so difficult about buying from more than one source. You have two cardboard boxes to dispose of?

The only option where buying a package really makes sense to me is if you buy the DGX package for 299, because that's such a good deal. If you don't want that, why not pay 250 for a high quality wing, then 75 for a backplate, 15 dollars for webbing, 30 bucks for cam straps and 10 dollars for assorted hardware? It's still sub 400 dollars...why does it being sold as a "package" matter?

Some people are conscious about transportation issues such as having $20 of webbing flown and trucked across the country. In some cases there is a minimum amount to get free shipping so, shopping around for the best deal on individual components may not be the best final price to acquire the items to build a setup. Still others, especially those new to BP/W can be overwhelmed by the choices out there, and the reality is that although their is a spectrum of quality, features, etc, there is little difference along that spectrum between most makes and models. I have Edge-Hog and Dive Rite back plate, wings, and harnesses in my garage, both brands seem to me of excellent quality and I would recommend both. DGX is basically a house brand of Dive Rite. DSS makes great stuff but the shell of their wings cannot be opened. Mares has some great stuff as well, so does Tecline, Sopras Sub, etc. There is also compatibility concerns when mixing and matching....will the wing line up with the plate properly? For those who want to spend time and energy researching this, great! But some people don't want to be bothered, and their resources (time, money, etc) are better spent purchasing a complete package where all this is already worked out and they can invest their time in other things like blowing bubbles.

My reasons for going with a BP/W was that I wanted the following:
1. Durability - rugged and long lasting
3. Simplicity - uncluttered by useless, or senseless features, but easily customizable to meet my needs even if they change.
2. Ability to replace components so that the entire system is not garbage should one component fail like it did on my last jacket style BC.

For me this means that a wing with a sewn in bladder is out, even though there are other features of the DSS wings that I like.

It also means that wings like the DRIS mirage wing is out too, as I don't see a need for an STA when using 2 tank straps, but the mirage requires an STA because there are no slots for tanks straps. Which is funny because most folks will recommend the smaller lift wing for travel due to its "lighter weight" and smaller packable foot print...but that just becomes bunk when you have to add an STA to your bag. Just saying.

To me an STA is a solution for a problem that existed before tanks strap slots were added to back plates, and or for those folks who switch frequently between a double tank and single tank setup. If one's known requirement is just single tank diving then there is no reason to buy and use an STA unless your gear configuration demands that you do...but this is avoidable.

The HOG wings have built in tank stabilizers. The Dive Rite wings do not, but I have never experienced a tank move around once I have strapped it in place to my back plate, and I have used 12L, 15L, and 18L tanks.

-Z

@Fathom044 @scrane @gr8jab

The above is correct. The 'package' page is hidden once an essential component goes out of stock, because the price is calculated based on in stock items. Hence the incorrect price display. The page is left up for SEO reasons and search engine indexing, but is removed from visibility on the front of the site.

I actually asked if the price was correct before Black Friday because I didn't want to miss out on Black Friday sales. No one mentioned that the price was an error then. I'm really not liking the way Deep 6 operates; leaving incorrect prices on line for months, only to jack the price up when the stock comes in.

Some people are conscious about transportation issues such as having $20 of webbing flown and trucked across the country. In some cases there is a minimum amount to get free shipping so, shopping around for the best deal on individual components may not be the best final price to acquire the items to build a setup. Still others, especially those new to BP/W can be overwhelmed by the choices out there, and the reality is that although their is a spectrum of quality, features, etc, there is little difference along that spectrum between most makes and models. I have Edge-Hog and Dive Rite back plate, wings, and harnesses in my garage, both brands seem to me of excellent quality and I would recommend both. DGX is basically a house brand of Dive Rite. DSS makes great stuff but the shell of their wings cannot be opened. Mares has some great stuff as well, so does Tecline, Sopras Sub, etc. There is also compatibility concerns when mixing and matching....will the wing line up with the plate properly? For those who want to spend time and energy researching this, great! But some people don't want to be bothered, and their resources (time, money, etc) are better spent purchasing a complete package where all this is already worked out and they can invest their time in other things like blowing bubbles.

My reasons for going with a BP/W was that I wanted the following:
1. Durability - rugged and long lasting
3. Simplicity - uncluttered by useless, or senseless features, but easily customizable to meet my needs even if they change.
2. Ability to replace components so that the entire system is not garbage should one component fail like it did on my last jacket style BC.

For me this means that a wing with a sewn in bladder is out, even there are other features of the DSS wings that I like.

It also means that wings like the DRIS mirage wing is out too, as I don't see a need for an STA when using 2 tank straps, but the mirage requires an STA because there are no slots for tanks straps. Which is funny because most folks will recommend the smaller lift wing for travel due to its "lighter weight" and smaller packable foot print...but that just becomes bunk when you have to add an STA to your bag. Just saying.

To me an STA is a solution for a problem that existed before tanks strap slots were added to back plates, and or for those folks who switch frequently between a double tank and single tank setup. If one's known requirement is just single tank diving then there is no reason to buy and use an STA unless your gear configuration demands that you do...but this is avoidable.

The HOG wings have built in tank stabilizers. The Dive Rite wings do not, but I have never experienced a tank move around once I have strapped it in place to my back plate, and I have used 12L, 15L, and 18L tanks.

-Z
I don’t think I disagree with anything your saying. I also wouldn’t buy webbing specifically from one place. I guess I just view specifically the wing and the backplate as specialty goods; If I know of one brand that I think has benefits over another, I don’t mind specifically ordering that one. This falls into that category. The VDH wing has a separable bladder, and each part of the wing can be ordered specifically if something were to be damaged. It has integrated single tank stabilizers. It comes in 18, 23, and 35 pound lifts in a narrow, streamlined design. It’s got universal slots for basically every backplate. And it costs 250 dollars. Those pros make it worth ordering individually.

I also am waiting for a freedom contour backplate from Eric on Scubaboard. It also had features that can’t be found elsewhere, and is thus worth buying individually. The rest of the stuff you can pick up anywhere and is basically interchangeable.

IMO

Reactions: Zef
With judicious shopping around I was able to put together a nice system for less than $250. comprised of a HOG 23# wing, an OMS backplate and a generic harness. The only thing I've changed since is trade the original SS for aluminum.
I would probably go for the VDH wing if I ever need a new one, but I think the benefit of the "skinny" VDH wing would be pretty minor.
I think Deep 6 should abandon their bait and switch pricing for their BP/W package. The "package" is, indeed, accessible from the home page.

The "package" is, indeed, accessible from the home page.

Except for the notice that states it is out of stock:

upload_2019-2-15_15-45-23.jpeg

-Z

I think Deep 6 should abandon their bait and switch pricing for their BP/W package. The "package" is, indeed, accessible from the home page.
I don’t think it’s bait and switch marketing; you can’t actually buy it for that price. It’s just a shortcoming of the website, which is unfortunate. It’s defjnitely not illintentioned, just how much effort is it worth to fix a website when you’re a small company and you’re having a hard time keeping anything in stock cuz they’re selling like hot cakes? I’m sure they’ll find a better way to handle it in the future.

When Deep6 does get it in stock, if $333 is the price for all the options they list in the bullets on the package webpage, then that is a good deal. I have been checking their site off and on since before Thanksgiving and have never seen the package listed as "in stock"...perhaps I have missed it each time it was...Deep6 has a good following so there stuff maybe flying out as quickly as they can get it in...but there are other companies out there, and one has to decide how long they will wait or how much checking they want to do for a miss to become a hit...

...Even if Deep6 gear is quantifiably the best stuff on planet earth, it does me no good if it is not on my back when I jump in the water

-Z

Except for the notice that states it is out of stock:

View attachment 505433

-Z
I was making reference to LandonL's statement. The pricing is misleading, whether intentional or not. Accessible and available are different things.

I don’t think it’s bait and switch marketing; you can’t actually buy it for that price. It’s just a shortcoming of the website, which is unfortunate. It’s defjnitely not illintentioned, just how much effort is it worth to fix a website when you’re a small company and you’re having a hard time keeping anything in stock cuz they’re selling like hot cakes? I’m sure they’ll find a better way to handle it in the future.

It may be a shortcoming of the website but it is still not appropriate. I'm pretty sure in Canada it is illegal for a company to advertise one price for an out of stock item and then charge a higher price when they get it in stock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom