First Boat Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the process of setting up our first boat dive. It will be NC Morehead City, the Indra. There will be 3 of us. My self, husband and daughter (she will be 13 by then). We are beginners, we all should have our AOW by this point in time. We were cert. last Sept. Now have 13 dives under our belt, all quarry dives. What all do I need to make sure I ask and understand so that we have a good experience??

At this point I know that all we need is OW min. Max, depth is 65', in shore boat dive. I have the cost. But I feel as if I should address other things before we fork out our money. It will be a 5 hour ride from home to there, so I want to make sure I cover my rear. What questions should I ask?????

Get a good nights sleep, don't drink before diving, eat a light breakfast, take some Dramamine or similar, have fun.

N

You're not new to SB, but since you asked - I'll still give my suggestions...
With it being your first boat dives, your first ocean dives and because you are fairly new divers, I would ask the dive boat operator if they can provide a private dive master / guide for you and your family. The dive master on the NC Boats does NOT get in the water with you. Usually the operators can arrange for a private guide and it will make your experience much more comfortable and enjoyable.
Hire one! Trio diving is confusing enough but for your first boat & ocean dive, money well spent - especially with the kiddo. I suspect you'll both be watching her closely, not each other enough, but that could go other ways.

Got DAN or Assure dive insurance? Not the cheapest plan for either please, at least the middle.

Got surface signal devices for each? I see divers go to sea without them. Just amazes me.

Ask for a 100 cf tank for your hubby as he may blow thru air faster than you girls.

Got computers for each, that you know and understand well? Well, it's a square profile so you can dive tables ok. Got a stop watch on your waterproof watch? I buy mine at walmart.

Finally, keep the regs in your mouths until you are well on the boat. Talk later.

If I were making the choice I'd do a longer drive or shell out for some flight tickets and go on down to Lauderdale or the Upper Keys. Warmer, more stable temps and water and lots more operator selections. Very much easier diving especially with divers with so little dives under their belt.

Take trauma shears. (they are inexpensive) The Indra is fished a lot and does have metal line on it.

Prepare for potential BOUNCY ride. Maybe it will be smooth sailing. One never knows about this

Prepare for potential swift current. Have experienced this on occasion on the Indra.

Enjoy the vast array of sea creatures that make the Indra home.

I seem to remember the deck being at 40-45 feet. If the conditions are right (smooth surface/no current), it is a fun easy dive.

ps: stay far away from bottom hull of boat if seas are bouncy.... bouncing hulls are DANGEROUS, for obvious reasons

Damn, I haven't dived a wreck in years. Forgot about the need for shears, altho I take a pair on every trip & every dive. I have a few weights I brought home from NC wrecks, but avoiding lines & hooks is best.

Gloves are a very good idea too. Some gardening gloves work ok in water if you don't need the cold protection. When are you going anyway?

Here is a simple tip. After you have carried your tanks onto the boat, make a point of putting your hand back on the valve and make sure it is turned completely off. It is so easy to drive hours to the boat, remember all the gear is on board, ride an hour to the dive spot, only to find that your tank has been quietly been going ssssss for the past hour. Makes for a short dive.

Last edited:
You might get better answers if you told us which dive boat you were using to charter for diving?

The dive shop is Rum Rummers, I am guessing it will be Olympus out of Morehead. The reason I think it will be Olympus is the fact the the dive starts at 3 pm. From my understanding Olympus, runs 2 out there per day, one morning one afternoon. It will be "one long dive" as per the shop. A DM will be on board with us.

NOAA buoy Station BFTN7 - 8656483 - Beaufort, NC shows water temperature at 49.5F. :cold: You're not going until summer are you?

The dive shop is Rum Rummers, I am guessing it will be Olympus out of Morehead. The reason I think it will be Olympus is the fact the the dive starts at 3 pm. From my understanding Olympus, runs 2 out there per day, one morning one afternoon. It will be "one long dive" as per the shop. A DM will be on board with us.
The DM usually stays on the boat and does not lead the dive in the water unless other arrangements have been made beforehand. Olympus is a nice charter. Be honest about your experience and skill levels and they will advise you accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom