First Boat Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would make arrangements for a private dm. Also, I would take bonine the night before and in the morning. Dramamine can make you drowsy.

You might get better answers if you told us which dive boat you were using to charter for diving?

I'd be less concerned about my money and more concerned about the safety of fairly new divers, especially a 13 year old, in what can sometimes be challenging conditions in NC waters on your first open water dive. Although the Indra is a inshore wreck in fairly shallow water, sometimes the vis can be pretty bad. How confident are you of your navigation skills to find your way back to the anchor line? Are you willing to abort the dive if any of you feels uncomfortable? The operator won't give you back your money if you do. How do you feel about that? Also, weather can change very quickly off the NC coast. One hour you have great conditions, the next hour they're crap. You can see if you can hire a guide if you feel you need it. I would just call the operator, tell them about your experience level, and ask them to tell you about the dives and the boat procedures. Some boats expect more experienced divers but others will cater to newbies. Have any of you been seasick? That's another thing to think about. Also this, which may sound really weird but I've seen it happen. One kid in a group on my boat was afraid of the fish. There can be barracuda and other fairly large fish on the Indra, which may look scary to some people with their big teeth. Don't think I've seen sharks there. Can't remember. I love diving NC wrecks. One of my favorite places to dive. You should have fun and it's ok to have some jitters. That's normal. Also check out You Tube for some footage of Indra dives. I found a couple of them, one with a turtle and another with a baitball. Awesome stuff!!

Yes, my question may have been worded wrong, but safty is my first concern. We have lived down in that area before, right outside the back gate of the base. My husband, was in the marine boat group, they were out in the water out there all the time. We understand the weather conditions of the area. If the trip is called we are fine with that, there are places there that we would enjoy seeing, eating at and doing since we will be back down there. I was actually considering about hiring a DM for the time there.

My plan of attack for this is such:

Daughter and I will get AOW before the trip, which will put us at right around 20 dives under our belt, still not great, but we all have to start somewhere. Third person will have rescue by this point. We have been going to the pool once a month and practicing for the last couple of months. All of us have been getting in better shape. Daughter swims laps and runs. I do water aerobics and swim. Husband runs.

Seasick, not real sure on this one. Have been on boats a bit, I don't think we have ever had any problems with this one. Husband, yes, when he was at sea for 6 months and storms would come through. But, this is one thing that does worry me.

Afraid of the fish, I going with no on that one.

Baitball???? I have no clue.

Thanks

NC boats at most provide with some weights and bottled water.

Most of us diving there bring everything you need. That includes drinks and food.

I find those uncrustables a good choice. Also those small tuna salad & crackers combos are pretty good. You will have some place in the cooler and ice in it to keep your stuff cool.

A soft mesh bag for gear is good, also bring a drybag for your clothes, cell phone etc...

Take something for motion sickness the night before and one when you arrive at the dock. (I use Dimenhydrinate - Dramamine/Triptone.)

Take the morning ride if possible, more chances of favorable conditions.

More than likely boat WILL go out even if conditions are not that great so don't expect refund in case of bad weather unless it is really bad.Expect a boat to be a taxi service to and from the dive site, that is about it. You set up your own gear, change the tanks between the dives etc... generally there is no DM in the water but you get a dive site briefing. However I would read ahead of time and perhaps get one of the slates if possible.

Oh... just because it says it will be Indra the actual conditions will dictate where you will end up.

Thanks for the PM, I will look into it. My biggest concern is at what point should one not enter the water???? I realize the conditions there can and do change, I have seen the trees bend over during the summer storms. I have been swimming in the currents there and they can be rough. Is there a general guideline?? 1' seas=OK, what should one follow????

1. Have you checked to make sure the conditions that the dive sites presents are consistent with your families abilities.
  2. A lot of my diving has been in quarries which present their own challenges such as visibility, temperature etc. However, quarries do not present strong currents, excessive wave motion etc.
  3. Does the operator have sufficient supplies of O2 on board?
  4. What is the operator procedure for accounting for all of the divers before and after the dive?
  5. How often in advance does the operator make a cancellation decision? If that decision is 45 minuted before departure, then you could end up driving 5 hours for nothing.
  6. If operator cancels the trip what is their refund policy?
  7. If you cancel the trip, what is their refund policy?
  8. Is there a divemaster in the water with you? Many charters off the coastal USA do not have overmasters in the water with you.
  9. If there is no divemaster in the water with you to lead the dive are you confident enough in you navigation skills to get you and your buddy back to the boat?
  10. Is there a fourth person that will be diving with you? If not, I would question a 3-person buddy team with only 13 dives in a quarry.
  11. You will need to account for the extra buoyancy of sea water compared to fresh water. Sea water is 2.5% more buoyant that fresh water. The means to figure out the weight you will need for salt water you need to determine the total weight of the diver, plus all of his/her gear (including weights etc.). Once you have this number you will need multiply that weight by.5 %. The result of that calculation is the amount of additional weight you will need to dive in the ocean.

For example, lets say that you need 20 lbs of weight to dive in the quarry. If the total weight of you and all your gear is 200 lbs. then you will need about 25 lbs. to dive in the ocean (20 lbs. used in fresh water + 2.5% of 200 lbs. = 5 lbs. additional weight for a total of 25 lbs.).

Some instructors don't explain this very well to their open water students and just say you need 2.5% more weight. Absent any other information the logical person would assume 2.5% of 20 lbs. is the amount they would need to add.

Wanted to say thanks for the thougth that went into this answer.

You're not new to SB, but since you asked - I'll still give my suggestions...

Hire one! Trio diving is confusing enough but for your first boat & ocean dive, money well spent - especially with the kiddo. I suspect you'll both be watching her closely, not each other enough, but that could go other ways.

Got DAN or Assure dive insurance? Not the cheapest plan for either please, at least the middle.

Got surface signal devices for each? I see divers go to sea without them. Just amazes me.

Ask for a 100 cf tank for your hubby as he may blow thru air faster than you girls.

Got computers for each, that you know and understand well? Well, it's a square profile so you can dive tables ok. Got a stop watch on your waterproof watch? I buy mine at walmart.

Finally, keep the regs in your mouths until you are well on the boat. Talk later.

Yup, not new to SB. Will look into the hiring of a DM, I was considering this. Already have DAN, and not the cheapest plan, had it since right out of OW. Hubby is 6'2" and 220ish, he by far out does us with air. Daughter, she uses about half to a third less than me. I don't get it. We have been buying all nec. equipment, and I would not consider jumping in the ocean w/o an SMB. We all have all our own equipment, including computer.

If I were making the choice I'd do a longer drive or shell out for some flight tickets and go on down to Lauderdale or the Upper Keys. Warmer, more stable temps and water and lots more operator selections. Very much easier diving especially with divers with so little dives under their belt.

I would love to follow your advise, however, life is not that easy. I would have to close my business for the time I was gone, take kid from school. This would be a drive down Sat. for the 3 pm departure, drive back or maybe spend the night and head back home Sunday for the start of Monday again.

NOAA buoy Station BFTN7 - 8656483 - Beaufort, NC shows water temperature at 49.5F. :cold: You're not going until summer are you?

Sorry, keep getting distracted with customers, this would be in Mid May.

The DM usually stays on the boat and does not lead the dive in the water unless other arrangements have been made beforehand. Olympus is a nice charter. Be honest about your experience and skill levels and they will advise you accordingly.

I have been very upfront with the shop about who, experience, dives, where all dives have been. I have been talking to the dive shop for a while now trying to figure out if we should and what skills would be needed. From my understanding, this is one of the places they do OW checkout dives, I think, someone correct me if I am wrong. I threw this post out here to see if my thoughts ran along with people of more experience. To see if I was missing something, get feedback, and I had honestly thought of a DM. I am a firm beliver, that no matter how many dives I have or how good I think I might be, I will not know everything and I will know nothing when I go to a new site to dive. I have nothing to prove and I have no male hormones to get in the way. My first goal is safty.

Thanks for the PM, I will look into it. My biggest concern is at what point should one not enter the water???? I realize the conditions there can and do change, I have seen the trees bend over during the summer storms. I have been swimming in the currents there and they can be rough. Is there a general guideline?? 1' seas=OK, what should one follow????

My (personal) guide is under 4ft I jump in no issues. 4-6ft I'll do heavy consideration., past 6ft I'll be at the local pub :wink:

I've done 6ft at Key Largo and it was tricky getting to the boat.

It is not so much of an issue entering the water as it is exiting.

Remember to stay clear of the diver ahead of you exiting the water. Keep regulator in your mouth until you are well on the boat. Time the ladder and grab it on the lowest point and ride on the way up. Move a step up when it is down and hold on when moving up and down. Don't let go of the fins. Put them on your wrist so you can put them back on in case you get tossed back in the water.

I have been very upfront with the shop about who, experience, dives, where all dives have been. I have been talking to the dive shop for a while now trying to figure out if we should and what skills would be needed. From my understanding, this is one of the places they do OW checkout dives, I think, someone correct me if I am wrong.
Honestly, the only times I've been to the Indra was when the waters were too rough or the conditions too bad for the off shore wrecks. Consequently, when I've gone, the conditions have been less than stellar. But considering its depth, yes, it would be ideal for OW check out dives, especially if you have nice weather.
I have nothing to prove and I have no male hormones to get in the way.
:D

Baitball: when fish congregate in large balls to confuse predators.

Also, about getting up the ladder, like Iztok mentioned, can be a challenge if you've never done it before on a rocking boat. I'm not sure what kind of laddders the boat will have. Some of them have ladders where you can keep your fins on while climbing up. I have bad knees so depending upon how they are feeling that day, I might hand up my weights to the DM before getting on the ladder. And if I'm having trouble, I'll ask him for a boost. He's just grab my first stage to help me up the last step or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom