• Normal Fins?

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • Split Fins?

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia once bubbled...
I've never tried splits, but I want to check out a few pairs of those, and a pair of Jet Fins before I pass judgement on what I like best.

Sure, sure, rub it in... just 'cuz I ran out of the water and forgot to let you try mine is no reason for snide comments :)

Asking which fin is best or most comfortable is like asking us what kind of sneaker we prefer.

I guess the question we should be asking is not which style provides more thrust or which is more comfortable when conditions are great but what happens if there is an emergency or you need to swim on the surface?

What happens when split fins are used and you need to tow your buddy or when you may need to swim current at the surface?

Which fin styles and kicking methods provide the best defense against silt-outs?

These are the kind of reviews that would be very helpful in evaluating fin styles.

dgangi once bubbled...
I recently bought a pair of Aeris Velocity full-foot fins based on the recent Rodale's review (and they were on sale at my LDS). At first I was a bit skeptical about them as they didn't feel sturdy enough to work well.

But was I surprised at the outcome! These things are fast and efficient! I hardly can tell they are on my feet.

I don't always like what Rodale's has to say, but this time they are on the money. The Aeris Velocity fins are great.

Thx...Doug
I've got a pair coming. I'm really excited to give them a try.

It depends on what type of diving you are doing. I like the Mares Volvo. :smbandit: And if you need to act like a frog..

The fins are somewhat of a personal choice, like the kind of underwear you wear.

here is how i tell my students to decide.

go mountain biking for a day. now are you the type of person who rather spin the gears in a lower gear. or are you the type who pumps it in a lower gear.

just go to a gym and watch the bikes. there are two types of people outr there.
1 - using a high gear and peddling fast
2 - using a low gear and peddling hard
both are getting the same benifit in different ways [roughly speaking]

decide which type of peddling you preffer and then buy the fins to fit your personality style
split for the fast peddler, the other style for the stronger peddler

I will say as for straps, nothing beats spring straps if you dive in an inviroment that is prone to entanglement. I just wish they made springs straps that fit the modern style fins.
nothing wrong with jet fins. except for me personaly they are to heavy, my lower body is allready very negative.

I am using an old set of Blades and find they work just fine, except for the straps, if i am going into a nasty wreck with lots of snare potential i switch to jets w/ springs and compromise

landlocked once bubbled...
I've got a pair coming. I'm really excited to give them a try.

I just tried my new ones today and they worked great. I think you'll be happy with them.

Well I don`t no if that statement is politically correct but;I use a set of Tusa XPert Zooms.Over the expance of time I`ve been able to learn how to move about the bottom with just a little flick of the ankle keeping the stirring effect to an almost nill reaction.I have tried other types of the flapping footies and found that these work the best for me.Then when its time to haul the mail,a complete leg movment and a quick look back lets the others know .......I`ll see ya at the dock!:D

I just got a new pair of ScubaPro Split fins on Saturday. I used
them on two dives and love them. I am still in the process
of figuring out the best leg motions but I can tell you they move
me fast. This is my first pair and I am very happy with them.

dgangi once bubbled...
I recently bought a pair of Aeris Velocity full-foot fins based on the recent Rodale's review (and they were on sale at my LDS). At first I was a bit skeptical about them as they didn't feel sturdy enough to work well.

But was I surprised at the outcome! These things are fast and efficient! I hardly can tell they are on my feet.

I don't always like what Rodale's has to say, but this time they are on the money. The Aeris Velocity fins are great.

Thx...Doug
Ditto. Won a pair at the annual club barbacue. Paid the difference for an open heel pair and they seem to be working really well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom