• Normal Fins?

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • Split Fins?

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to go fast with great control, Esclapez Greens. If you want to go slow with great control, jet fins. If you are out of shape and want to go slow with a bad kick and no control, split fins.

I'm very picky about my fins, and I will buy a new pair if my current ones are annoying me. I stumbled upon the Tusa Xpert Zoom split fins. And I must say, these fins make me happy. I love them! They don't give me cramps or anything like that. They give me great propulsion, even with little ankle kicks. I can also turn easily underwater. Absolutely wonderful fins.

But, as they say, different fins work for different people. I used to have the Aeris Velocity fins, but they gave me major cramps, yet others love them. Experiment with different fins first before buying. Ask your LDS if they would let you test them out in the water. Usually they'll say yes. :)

Hope this helps. :)

I find that the split fins are just so much easier to kick with. For me, they seem to even make a difference in my air consumption because I use so much less energy kicking. The only thing I don't like about them is the straps don't swivel. It is hard to get them under the foot for donning.

Atomic Split Fins. Couldn't believe the performance of these fins the first time I used them. It felt like I forgot to stap on my fins, yet I was moving faster than with the traditional style fins.

Have no desire to try anything else now, although it sounds like there's a lot of good stuff out there.

tampascott once bubbled...
Atomic Split Fins.

I have to agree. These are the fins they give you at Epcot in the Living Seas exhibit and I was pretty impressed with them. I've also tried the Tusa splits, but they didn't feel as good as the Atomics. I still haven't decided if I'm go to switch from my Mares Quattros yet - I want to try the splits in open water first.

Marc :jester:

I don't mind the Atomics they are just a tad stiffer IMO than the ScubaPro Black Twin Jets, so you have to work a little harder.

But after I tried the softter twin Jets (Grey, Blue, or Yellow) I never looked back (I own the grey graphite). Like going from a cold pool to a warm Jacuzzi - just that much better. How wonderful, simple and elegant. It feels like you really don't have fins on - yet the power is always there when you need it.

Anybody ever used spilt fins before changing to jet fins??

How would you compare the two??

started with paddles, too bouyant (or rather i was still learning to kick and control my bouyancy).

went to split fins for speed and ease.

switched to jetfins for what i like to do - sightseeing and taking photos underwater, call it a "leisurely sunday drive through the scenic route" - type diving.

and i kept my split fins.

I also picked up some Atomic Splits the other day. Overall I like them better than my previous Dacor Pursuit blades. However, I don't seem to move as fast in them as i did in the others. Took me several seconds longer to cross the pool on a single breath than it did with the pursuits.

Probably just need to get used to them. Mostly, I just like the way the straps are put together. Way better than the others. Kept pulling the end out of the pursuits.

I used Mares Volos for 8 months and 111 dives before one of the tension bars snapped. Mares replaced them and I got another six months out of the new pair until they came off my feet in some heavy wave action last week. I loved them for air consumption. However I realized as I scrambled up the rocks with the four footers cashing on my back, they are too flexible when you put the cook to them. I think the harder I kicked to make it in between sets, the less they propelled me. My LDS suggested I go with the Dacor black tigers now because they are stiffer. Anyone compared the two??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom