• Normal Fins?

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • Split Fins?

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wore jet/turtle fins for about 20 years.
I bought apair of mares quattros about 5 years ago, : longer, narrower, stiffer, but no real performance improvement.
Last year I bought a pair of Mares Volos. Incredible!
Very low resistance, I go just as fast with less effort, and my air consumption has dropped 20%.

I've just added spring straps to them.

They are a great fin.

Mike D

:blfish

My absolute favorite are my Jet Fins. Negatively buoyant, stiff enough to kick in a door and good power.

I also love my Mares Volos.

"you got fins to the left, fins to the right and your the only girl (diver?) in sight"

Jimmy Buffett - "Fins" Great song!

Sorry couldn't help myself. :jester:

I already posted an initial favorable impression of the Aeris Velocity fin, but after a week long dive trip with these fins, I must say that these are absolutely the best purchase I have made to date (see my mini-review in another thread).

Rodale's thought the Velocity fins were the best fins in their latest fin review -- much better than the expensive split fins in the comparison. To be fair, the Aeris fins they reviewed were the full-foot model vs. the open-heel model of the split fins.

But I think the design of the Aeris is fantastic. They have some vents and a flexible rubber molding down the middle to allow *some* water to pass through (like a split) but the paddle is still structurally intact (like a normal fin). So it seems you get the best of both worlds -- the power of a split with the control of a normal fin with many different kick styles.

Anyway, I'm so pleased with these fins that I just bought a second pair -- open-heel model for colder water.

Thx...Doug

I completely agree with everyone on this board that has indicated how good the Aeris Velocity fins are. I recently purchased a pair of open-heel and must say that they do in fact combine the best of both worlds... these are the things I like about them:

1) They are fast - while not as fast as propeller fins they do offer quick pace
2) They require little effort
3) They are flexible - and in those instances where I mistakenly make contact with my surroundings they are more forgiving to the environment
4) I have a problem positioning myself in water using my propeller fins (Oceanic V-6) while trying to take pictures... this is not so for the Aeris

The only thing I do take notice of is the fact that I physically have a wide foot and moving up to a length did not help because they because to loose. In the water this issue subsides for me.

One of my favorite aspects is exchanging fins. Over the last two years I've had the priviledge of wearing many dozens of fins. I currently dive the graphite ScubaPro twin jet splits. I prefer them over all others - except Bob Evans Tan Delta but I can't rationalize 500 dollars for fins.

I use Dacor Tiger fins. I had just regular old non-split non-fancy fins and found that I got a lot of cramps and ankle fatigue. A friend loaned my his Tigers, I used them on a trip, and bought my own immediately upon return.

Interesting note: an Instructor who happened to be on a boat with me actually made fun of my "high tech fins". So to you, Mr. Instructor, don't make fun until you've swum a mile in my fins!

Back
Top Bottom