Fins: most power, least effort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my! I just spotted a pair of apollo biofins for 35 bucks on eBay. Used. I wonder if something is terribly wrong with them? But for 35 bucks it wouldn't be too much of a loss, heh. I am almost tempted to bid on them. :D

I have 4 pairs of fins: Apollo Bio Fin Pro w/spring strap, SP Twin Jets, SP Jet Fins, and Mares Volo Powers.

The SP Jets are by far the best if you are doing a wreck penetration or a very technical dive requiring a lot of stops/starts, quick turns, or special finning like frog kicks. For just a normal dive where you will be swimming around looking at stuff, the Bio Fins get my vote. They are a little stiffer than the Twin Jets, but still flexible and comfortable. They cruise really well and you will have a lot of speed and plenty of power with minimal effort. They are a little narrower than the Twin Jets, and I like that because I could feel the edges of my Twins bumping each other. I wouldn't recommend the Volos. I thought they were cool and got some, used them once, and now they collect dust.

Fins are a very personal item, and everyone is going to be a big fan of the fins they use.

I have tried Apollo Bio-Fins and Atomic Split Fins and both are among the better split fins on the market, giving plenty of power for a reasonable amount of effort. They are also well-made, durable products, so you might pay a bit more for them in the first place, but they will certainly last.

I use Force Fins, and these are one make of fins which really seem to split people. I get on with them really well and wouldn't use anything else, split fin or paddle fin. They are small, lightweight, ideal for packing when travelling, you can walk about in them, climb up boat ladders in them, and they give loads of power and agility. Again, not the cheapest, but they will last and last – I know someone with a pair of original Force Fins that he has had for over 10 years, and he is still on his original strap! They are scratched to hell, but still work as well as they ever did. Bulletproof.

JMO

Mark

Back
Top Bottom