Fins: most power, least effort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need the Apollo bio pro. Be careful, the fin sizes run large. The fin material is old fashioned, wonderfully odiferous, natural gum rubber. With this superior material comes the penalty of weight which might be a consideration when travelling by air. However, there is not a fin on the market which is as soft and has as much thrust (what you call "power"). Make sure you get the "Pro" and not the "XT" which is stiffer and offers no apparent benefit of "power".

Noob posting... watch out.

I started with a pair of scubapro twin jets. They work and seem like they are a very efficient fin if most of the time you are using a standard flutter kick. However, I am recently realizing that speed of anything is not beneficial in the diving I'm doing. In fact, speed (and more precisely, rushing) has been my bane. My mentors continually stress the fact that I need to take things easy and slow things down. So I guess for me, a more efficient or more powerful fin is not what I need. Apparently precision is far more important.

I have since switched to scubapro jetfins. They are a paddle style fin that offers better control under water. They are very effective for frog kicking, a stroke that is quite useful when you are close to sandy bottom and for helicopter turns, a stroke that allows you to turn on a dime. They say that back kicks are only doable with paddle fins. I've tried but am still a work in progress. Perhaps split fin owners can comment on their ability to do back kicks.

One might say that twin jets or other split fins will allow a diver to overcome surge and current more easily than a paddle style fin. However, all of my dives have recently (last 8) have been with divers with paddle fins exclusively in pretty surgy water. No one has had any issues.

Edit:

BTW, also consider that another way to get the most result from the energy you expend is to present a more streamlined profile. Having all kinds of dangly stuff and pockets or whatever else hanging from your body will increase drag. The more streamlined, the less effort required.

I (and a lot of others I dive with) are big fans of the Mares Power Volos.

I love my jet fins. As a gimp they make finning so easy. First time I tried them I had to actually look down and see if I had forgotten to put my fins on. They are that comfortable. Also work very well with learning different kicks. I love them (in a nutshell) can you tell? lol

The Atomic Split fins sounds like what you are asking for. They are lightweight and allow you to use a flutter kick to propel yourself. Very efficient in this respect. Lots of people with knee or leg problems prefer these because they are light and don't require much effort. Other companies have splits that work as well, however ones like Oceanic and some others are a heavier rubber and take a little more effort to use.

With that said, I use both Jetfins and the Splits depending on what kind of dive I’m doing. The Jets are heavier and initially harder to use. But, are more versatile. I’ve had my jets for 18 years and love them.

I have read some of the forums on this board regarding split fins and have watched divers use them. I agree with the people that say divers that use splits generally have sloppy kicking technique and are constantly kicking up the bottom. They don’t seem to be aware of what they are doing behind them and I have had the displeasure of swimming through the muck they stir up.

If you buy splitfins and use them to build up you leg strength as you get more dives under your belt, I suggest practicing frog kicks with them. Specially when near silt areas. You can do frog kicks, they just don’t work as well as jets.

Just my .02

Kevfin:
With that said, I use both Jetfins and the Splits depending on what kind of dive I’m doing. The Jets are heavier and initially harder to use. But, are more versatile. I’ve had my jets for 18 years and love them.

I have a fake knee and I felt the jets were the most comfortable I have tried. I was always lagging and the first time I tried them I was right up there with very little effort. I also snorkle alot and the weight of them kept my feet from splashing around on the surface. You do not feel the weight underwater tho. You dont even know they are there. My husband uses splits and now he cant wait to ditch them for the jets after seeing how manuverable they are.

Another vote for Biofins. I feel they are almost effortless, but require a slightly different kick than paddle fins. My buddy uses Atomic splits in liquid blue and he loves them as well. Force Fins may be another possibility as you can do an outstanding frog kick in them and flutter with your ankles. But for a long kick out on a shore dive, the Biofins win hands down for me.

Jetfins have their fans. You would have to try them. I find them heavier and clumsier for frog kicking and maneuverability than Force Fins and for kicking out a long distance in a short time with little effort - they don't.

I have dived the Apollos, SP Twin-jets, and I own a pair of Atomic Splits. I absolutely found the Atomics to be the best of them, having the best "traction" of the splits I've tried.

I now dive my Turtle fins (like the classic SP Jet Fins) exclusively. I have recently done as some have suggested and corrected some flaws in my kicking technique. Like SnowBear said, the proper frog kick 'n glide is so efficient and relaxing (and doesn't stir up the slit) that it makes my diving all the more fun!

redhatmama:
Another vote for Biofins. I feel they are almost effortless, but require a slightly different kick than paddle fins. My buddy uses Atomic splits in liquid blue and he loves them as well. Force Fins may be another possibility as you can do an outstanding frog kick in them and flutter with your ankles. But for a long kick out on a shore dive, the Biofins win hands down for me.

Jetfins have their fans. You would have to try them. I find them heavier and clumsier for frog kicking and maneuverability than Force Fins and for kicking out a long distance in a short time with little effort - they don't.

I find the jet fins improved my ability to go a distance in a short time tho I would rather stop and smell the roses :) I also found them very easy to do frog kicks and manuver in. To each his own I suppose. :)

Another vote for the Apollo Bio-fins. I agree with Snowbear's comment re the SP Jet Fins though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom