Fins: most power, least effort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched to Jets during my DIR-F class because the fins I was using (not the twins -- those aren't acceptable) were shown quite clearly on the video to be collapsing during my attempts to do the kicks they were trying to teach me. Switched to the Jets, and all the kicks started happening. But they sure feel like they require more effort. Didn't do enough actual swimming (lots of hovering and skill drills) to be sure.

Oh, and spring straps solve a lot of fin-losing issues.

Snowbear:
...More fin kicks = more calories burned = more oxygen used and CO2 produced = more gas used from the Scuba tanks.

I like Jet Fins and Twin Jets and have them both but I think you are overselling a little above aren't you:)

More Easy fin kicks don't use any more calories than fewer kicks with more resistance and therefore don't use more oxygen, CO2 etc. If anything it's the reverse although it probably works out to just the same amount of energy.

If you ride your bike up a moderate hill you shift to the easier gears even though you have to pedal more to go the same distance. Using your logic you would just leave the bike in the hardest gear to pedal. Even though you would go further with each pedal (if you could in fact pedal at all) you certainly would build up more CO2 and require more oxygen by leaving it in the harder gear.

Jet fins work because you just slow down more and so the calories used probably are about the same as Twin Jets. The reason for using a non-split fin is that backward and frog kicking are easier. This is a reason for using Jet Fins and an other non-split fin.

creamofwheat:
..snip..
the guy recommended me some volos (any opinions on these?) and I said no thanks.
..snip..
You guys are super helpful...provide so much information. This thread has been very informative to me. Thank you!

Strange post. You ask about Volos after receiving 3 separate opinions (posts 13, 21 and 22) and then you say the thread was informative.
Is this a case of information overload?

The most powerful and versatile fins ever made were the revolutionary Fara Fin (Farallon). These oversize fins (super expensive in the 70's) actually had metal braces which attached to your calf muscle giving the user propulsion exceeding anything anyone had ever designed. It's too bad I don't have a picture. They were also wickedly goofy and have since died off like the dinosaurs. :)

Both my GF & I use Force Fins. They are the best fin I have tried in 28 years of diving. My GF is not a strong kicker, but she is able to keep up with her cousin who dives with split fins just fine. They take a little while to get used to, because the kick is different (more knee & less hip) but I can frog kick & manuver with them. Another plus is you can actually walk short distances in them.

Mr.X:
The most powerful and versatile fins ever made were the revolutionary Fara Fin (Farallon). These oversize fins (super expensive in the 70's) actually had metal braces which attached to your calf muscle giving the user propulsion exceeding anything anyone had ever designed. It's too bad I don't have a picture. They were also wickedly goofy and have since died off like the dinosaurs. :)

Mr. X: I was the sales manager for Farallon at that time. I have many dives on the Fara-fin. The design produced lots of side to side spill off. The brace which we nicknamed-not politically correct-"the Polio fin" did nothing but add strain. We sold a few hundred pairs, with many returns. It was, with due respect, never a good fin.

I have SP Jets and Twin Jets, I would recommend both. If you are diving in a protected enviornment with no current, use the twins. If you are going to or might be going deal with current, use the Jets.

miketsp:
Strange post. You ask about Volos after receiving 3 separate opinions (posts 13, 21 and 22) and then you say the thread was informative.
Is this a case of information overload?

Yes. Information overload. Still haven't managed to take in every single post yet, but I am working on it :D

Mr.X:
The most powerful and versatile fins ever made were the revolutionary Fara Fin (Farallon). It's too bad I don't have a picture.

Here ya go.

I strongly recommend apollo biofins - they are pricy but soo comfy and easier to swim. With spring straps will be extra bonus! Good luck lookin' for the "one"!

Back
Top Bottom