Finish DM with different Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not slander if it's true.

Here is the thing - I wish no one any harm... not even him. He certainly has a problem with me but I don't with him as long as I get to finish. People with that demeanor get what they deserve in the long run all on their own, I'll stand back and watch!

BTW, I paid for the DM program in advance, along with the other DM candidate. When the materials came in we both paid for them also so there is no issue there.

I've written a series of 5 Divemaster articles for my LDS's monthly newsletter. These articles detail the process of PADI Divemaster training, what to expect, what is required, and how to succeed. I'm writing my final summation article now and plan to put together another sticky post for the Going Pro forum. I may even shop the articles to some magazines.

PM me your email address and I will send them to you. Read them and relate what's covered to the training you received. Since there's far too much to cover in these posts here, you'll get a much better idea of the level of training you received versus what is required in the course.

It sounds to me like you've encountered someone who wants extensive free labor, operates outside of standards and is pissed when you called 'em on it.

PM sent

I'm kind of intrested in who/what shop this is as I live in this area, even though I retired as an Inst. I like to know what is going on in my area.

Joe-diver,

I am a Dive Master in Training in Indiana, I would love to have your articles to read - if you don't mind.

I, too, had issues with my dive op and switched to a new dive op for my DM training - could not be happier with them! My issues seem similar - my paper work was "submitted" when in fact my previous dive op did not submit it at all. It took me over 6 months just to receive my Nitrox card!!! I finally called and they contacted the dive op about 3 of my cert cards that I had not received - that dive op got nasty with me as well. I talked to my new dive op and told them what was going on and they were totally in disbelief about it. I took a deep class from the new op to "test" them out - I had that card WAY before I ever received the other 3 from the other shop. I really feel for the guy!!!

It normally takes about 4 weeks to get the card so I'm not surprised they couldn't do it in 1 week.

There is a $15 charge for expedited processing. I have used it more than once, and students have received cards in less than 1 week from when PADI receives the pic.

So, as you can see I'm as confused as anyone here. I guess I should just call PADI and find out what they have to say, whether or not my paperwork was sent in. What is this about having to send it in within 7 days? What can I do if that did not happen? To my knowledge everything was signed and sent in a week+ before we left....

Did you have to fill in and sign a PIC? and if so, did you get the temporary card (although this is probably not valid for DM it is at least useful evidence). I say this because I had to contact PADI once before about a card that never got issued and they basically said that without any paperwork there was nothing they could (would?) do.

I'd contact PADI first to see if they have received your certification, if they have you can just wait for the card (or if sent to your instructor and you really don't want to get involved further with him just apply for a replacement card).

Otherwise, I'd really try first to sort this out in a friendly way with your instructor, because the alternative may by legal action as I doubt PADI will help you much.

Divemaster has it's own separate application process.

Judging from post #15 I'd say working this out with the Instructor is no longer possible. Continue on with your regional rep and let him/her be the contact point. They will speak with the Instructor and request your student file for review.

Did you have to fill in and sign a PIC?

Otherwise, I'd really try first to sort this out in a friendly way with your instructor, because the alternative may by legal action as I doubt PADI will help you much.

It really isn't. When I inquired his response was simply that I needed to move somewhere else.

The padi official you spoke with, ask if the instructor is up to date on his insurance, padi inst fee, being investigated prior or during your dm time frame. They wont voluntary tell you, so give these questions and some of your own.

Ask to speak to keith chessnut, I think thats how you spell it. IF KEITH IS STILL AROUND HE TAKES CARE OR POORLY PRODUCED INSTRUCTORS.

NOW YOU MENTIONED, another candidate, how is his dm cert going.

Yes if you went on a trip and a class was being performed, That instructor will hold you against it.

Alot of instructors like the power, If a diveshop owner, they are sometimes really offended when you bring up your point of views. Calling on them is best because you have either joined in or started an investigation.

Go diving at the local spots ,hook up to some local clubs, get info of the past on the insrtuctor.

While a new instructor is doing the dm class for you, the message in your small community will go around, they might enlightend you on the local dive industry of how it operates and to keep its doors open.

You dont have to mention the name, there not that many shops in your area, the rest do not a bad rep, it will or has already taken its toll.

Diverdown if you are actually the problem, tuff luck, he has to deal with it, and if you paid in full.

Now if you in any way feel that he endangered you on your trip, even mentally while diving, e-mail it to padi, and have him go through an Intructor review, Once his name is on there he screws up he will be disqualified as an instructor.

You do not want any harm, yet mental abuse of dm training can cause in water fatalities.

So you posted for info, told your story, now its up to you to make a responsible action for the cert agency that you are participating in.

If you stiil want card, you must like what you are doing or going futher.

Good luck to you and stay safe, theres always diving tomarrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom