Finish DM with different Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is EXACTLY what I am doing. Further communication is only going to make it worse. Yes, I have many emails from him about it being sent in to PADI. I have an email that he forwarded onto myself and the other DM requesting PADI expedite our cards. Now, I have 3 emails all stating different reasons, or expenses, that are "keeping" him from sending my paperwork to me. PADI has all of them, and I await their call/page/email.

Wow, I have just read through this entire post and I am awe-struck. I can't imagine ANY of my instructors treating me like this. I have taken many classes at my shop with the goal of becoming an instructor. I will be starting on my Master Diver/Dive Master Candidate Stuff as soon as I return home. I love my training experience. Once you start the higher level classes though (Rescue, DM) I wouldn't say the training is traditional. I am constantly evaluated...from how I help students in an Open Water class (I love assisting with classes) to how I describe a drysuit to a customer in the store. Since it is a NAUI class the instructors (basically every instructor in the store), they can uphold their own standards as long as they meet the standard, I have been told I won't get my Dive Master Cert until every instructor in the store agree's that I'm ready, be it 3 months or a year. However at the same time I'm always treated with respect, like family. That is why this post blows my mind, I can't IMAGINE one of my instructors threatening to call the cops b/c I called NAUI? It is just foreign to me. Best of luck with your situation though!

Sounds like he encountered an old school boy, who wanted to get far more out of a candidate (read: free labor) than is acceptable and got called on it. Now he's playing games with him. Too bad really, and I hope it doesn't cloud the OP's view of the dive industry.

If PADI doesn't pull through go to small claims court for the cost of the DM course. Bring the e-mails and a witness to court.

How about Judge Judy? She'll rip him a new one on national TV. :11:

That is just it - I have re-arranged his shed, remarked everything to make it easier to grab things, banded fins together. I've filled tanks, helped with scuba tune ups and OW classes (mostly watching), really jumped thru my own hoops to gain experience and simply help out.
The latest update is that I got an email from a person at PADI, who thanked me for lengthy description and barrage of emails from said instructor. It sounds like PADI is going to contact him but it sounds like they support my end right now. Heck, I haven't done a damn thing wrong! I found out that he IS training another DM though, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
My line of thinking is this - either PADI will see what is going on and get my DM paperwork and help me get situated with another instructor so I can finish, or - I'm just going to let it go... of course, I won't be very happy with PADI. I have finished the course, done my time so if it isn't completely apparent to PADI, well, you know...

I have re-arranged his shed, remarked everything to make it easier to grab things, banded fins together.

NOT a part of the Divemaster program. This is a function of a store employee. Sadly, as you've experienced, this is the "good ole boy" way of doing the program.

I've filled tanks, helped with scuba tune ups and OW classes (mostly watching), really jumped thru my own hoops to gain experience and simply help out.

This IS part of the program. As long as you got credit for each of the sessions, ie. a Practical Application Record Sheet was filled out, you were scored and counseled, then the session signed off on your Divemaster Information and Evaluation Form, it counted. Otherwise, it was just free labor for him and experience for you.

Sounds like you two were so close that he considers your calling PADI to be a personal betrayal.

Well, out of the blue last night I got an email from him, a quote from it:

"the number one rule in diving-Don't hold your breath!"

I guess that means that PADI contacted him... I forwarded it onto PADI.

You should invite him to post a response here...:wink:

Now *that* would be funny. He always gave me such a hard time about questions or comments that I had from SB. Nah, he'd get eaten alive <grin>.

Back
Top Bottom