Finish DM with different Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If DM was started (really, almost completed) with a certain instructor, can this course be transferred and finished with another instructor? I don't really want to go into details but have somewhat of a situation where I was really completed with all my DM checklist, it was supposed to be sent in, obviously hasn't been sent in, and I would simply like to get my card. I'm still waiting to get a clear idea where my DM status stands from said Instructor, but getting some really strange signals from him. Can this be transferred to a non-ADD instructor so I can finish? How can I go about this? I really don't want to invest much more time/money than I've already put in but will do whatever to just get my card.

Sure, you can finish with another instructor, in fact internships typically involve a number of different instructors. So long as your instructor has signed off on what you have done and turns over your file. You don't want to go into details but is this a personality conflict or a difference on what you have satisfactorily completed?

Try to work it out with your original instructor since one of a good DM's attributes is to be able to work with a variety of instructors and teaching styles.

Try to work it out with your original instructor since one of a good DM's attributes is to be able to work with a variety of instructors and teaching styles.
Good advice, that. I've worked with a very ADD instructor; once I learned to think in a very different mode to mesh with his style, we started to work really quite well together. (Actually, he's one of my favorite people to work with now.)

As for the question, my DM course is being team-taught by three instructors. At the beginning of the course, they made copies of the skills page of the course folder and gave one to each of us. Whenever I complete a skill, the instructor present signs it off on the course folder *and* on my copy of the skills list, so both the shop and I have our own validated copies of what I've done. One of the instructors is going on a three-week vacation in April (to Palau, Yap, and so on, as he seems to keep mentioning -- he's gonna have a blast), but it's not going to affect the course, since we have backup and multiple copies documenting what's been done. It's probably a bit late to turn it into a team-taught course, if you're just stuck in paperwork.

Anyway, there should be nothing preventing you and the instructor from handing you off to another instructor, if that's what needs to be done, but if at all possible, it is indeed good practice to work through it with the first guy. If you're *never* going to assist him as a DM, perhaps you can make a demand, but if there's even a slim chance you may have to deal with him, you really must work it out together. One thing to take into account about switching instructors mid-stream is that the new instructor is almost certain to put you through the paces again on the wet work, as they'll certainly want to know you're ready before they sign off on you -- it's not like the test scores, which can be taken at face value.

You don't have to roll over and wait for him to get around to it, of course. Since two of my instructors work at the shop, if I had to, I'd drop by when I know there are tanks to fill or gear to clean, and I'd pull a "I'll take over from you here so you can finish the paperwork for me" maneuver. Finding ways to get what you really want using mutually beneficial arrangements is a good skill to have. :biggrin:

I'm confused. Are you done or almost done? Is everything signed off, application completed and signed, and all you need is for the Instructor to send it in? You've met all the requirements?

If this is the case, the Instructor has 7 days to send in the paperwork.

If DM was started (really, almost completed) with a certain instructor, can this course be transferred and finished with another instructor? I don't really want to go into details but have somewhat of a situation where I was really completed with all my DM checklist, it was supposed to be sent in, obviously hasn't been sent in,

It looks like we have an answer A,B,C

So I'll put in answer D

D all of the above are correct

Well, here is the story. I was told we were done at the last test night. The paperwork was being submitted. This was about a week before our trip. I even got an email from said instructor, to PADI, about expediting my card so I could possibly have it before my trip, as was my/our goal. That is where it got spongy... instructor sends me an email right before the trip stating that it would not be possible to get my card back in time... even though stating we had plenty of time before. Then, new requirements came out, like having to help with a non-OW class. Well, I already did that but as with the mapping project, I just thought it more OJT more or less. Things go well on the trip, did the new map, helped with the ResQ class... or so I thought. From what I can gather, he "decided" that the 2 taking Rescue needed another session, while I happened to be on a motor scooter pretending I was on vacation... and he said that because I missed this second part, he would withhold my DM. When I asked him about my paperwork already being signed and sent in to PADI, he told me that he would call PADI and withhold it....
So, as you can see I'm as confused as anyone here. I guess I should just call PADI and find out what they have to say, whether or not my paperwork was sent in. What is this about having to send it in within 7 days? What can I do if that did not happen? To my knowledge everything was signed and sent in a week+ before we left....

we were done at the last test night. The paperwork was being submitted. I even got an email from said instructor, to PADI, about expediting my card ... instructor sends me an email right before the trip stating that it would not be possible to get my card back in time...... When I asked him about my paperwork already being signed and sent in to PADI, he told me that he would call PADI and withhold it.... I guess I should just call PADI and find out what they have to say, whether or not my paperwork was sent in.

answer E) Contact PADI immediately.

Sounds like it was signed and sent in but PADI changed the requirements just before that so you now have to meet the new requirements. Kinda annoying but it happens.

Also, I get the impression that since the two students in the Rescue class needed another session that he/she wanted you to be a part of that second Rescue session. Not entirely unreasonable IMO. It would have been nice if he had let you know sooner so you could attend though.

Ask the instructor exactly what you need to do to get certified. From what you've just said, you just need to shadow one non-OpenWater class apparently. Personally, I'd be clamoring to shadow as many classes/instructors as possible even after getting a DM card. Take a weekend off from Rec diving and get that last session completed.

Sounds like it was signed and sent in but PADI changed the requirements

PADI has not changed the requirements for Divemaster certification.

I suggest you take a look at your file. There is a sheet in there called Divemaster Candidate Information and Evaluation Form. This form lists everything you must do for Divemaster certification and is where your Instructor signs off completed requirements. Anything you have not yet done will not be signed off. If anything is not signed off on this form, you must complete it and get it signed off.

Once the Divemaster Candidate Information and Evaluation Form is completed, you will complete the Divemaster Application. Your Instructor will sign it and send it to PADI. They have 7 days to do this.

It is really very clear. Either you have completed the requirements or you have not. No new requirements have come down from PADI. Your answer is in the checklist. Check your file.

As I said in a PM, I'd suggest just laying low for a few weeks and not riling up the instructor for now. If he sent in the paperwork as he said, it may go through. He may forget or not follow through on his threat to call PADI and withhold it. It normally takes about 4 weeks to get the card so I'm not surprised they couldn't do it in 1 week. Did this just occur? I'm not aware of any recent change in the DM requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom