Finish DM with different Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, here is the story. I was told we were done at the last test night. The paperwork was being submitted. This was about a week before our trip. I even got an email from said instructor, to PADI, about expediting my card so I could possibly have it before my trip, as was my/our goal.

It normally takes 4 to 6 weeks to get it processed but there are some tricks to get you to the top of the stack.

That is where it got spongy... instructor sends me an email right before the trip stating that it would not be possible to get my card back in time... even though stating we had plenty of time before.

Like I said....not surprised.

Then, new requirements came out,

No new requirements have come out.

helped with the ResQ class... or so I thought.

You either did or you did not. If you did help out with a Rescue Class as a candidate, the Instructor will have completed a Practical Application Record Sheet, scored you on it and gone over your performance, then signed it off of your checklist.

From what I can gather, he "decided" that the 2 taking Rescue needed another session, while I happened to be on a motor scooter pretending I was on vacation... and he said that because I missed this second part, he would withhold my DM.

Whether or not the students need additional training is of no consequence to you. You either helped with a session as a Candidate or you did not. The Practical Application Record Sheet is the official record of this participation. If you helped and got passing scores, then you get credit for it.

Then, new requirements came out, like having to help with a non-OW class.
Their new requirements or PADI’s. I would ask him in a nice way to show you specifically (PADI printed literature) what those new requirements are. The only change recently in any regards to a DM are the requirements for the Divemaster Discover Scuba Diving Internship (Real or Role-play) and those won’t affect you until after you become a DM.

Sounds like you’re doing the internship option. If so, the requirement to participate in:
One PADI Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver or PADI Specialty Diver course open water training session.
has been around for years. Unless there’s a very recent change of which I am unaware, it does not require you to participate in the entire course.

Thank you all for your posts. It will not be over until I get my paperwork and finish with another instructor, of course, but here is how it sits. I spoke to the Regional manager for PADI for this area. He listened intently. He suggested I simply try to talk to said instructor. I went over to the shop to do just that, and when he heard I had spoken to PADI he immediately jumped up, demanded that I leave his shop and grabbed the phone shouting he was calling the cops.... In awe, I started out the front door, which he was literally on my heels out the door telling me that I was no longer welcome in his shop at all. He said he would mail my paperwork "sometime next week". Keep in mind, I am still trying to figure out what went wrong b/t us. Heck, my GF and I ate Christmas dinner at his house for crying out loud! Anyway, I called the Reg. Mgr from PADI again and I am filing a complaint today. He clearly states in emails that we are totally done and signed off, but sent me an email last night indicating he has "rethought things" and I may have to start with a new application... basically trying to really screw me up.
When I said new changes, they were HIS changes, not PADI's. I just want to get my paperwork and go elsewhere....

He and his shop deserve to be named.

Well, I am trying to stay positive, but with the situation... I may well name this shop at a later date, well after I finish and actually get my paperwork and move away from him completely. Put it this way, when he publicly raked me, I had every single person on the trip come to me and say they would never go on another trip with this guy, not just for the way he treated me. It's really too bad, I was his biggest supporter. He has lost more than just some good customers...

Did you pay for your DM course? Your PADI sales rep ( I am assuming you are working with Gary Joyce) will ask you. Standards state that $$$ is the only reason an instructor can delay issuing a PIC.

What he did was not only unprofessional, but violation to PADI standards. He can get in big trouble with PADI. As for naming him or his shop, I wouldn't. That can be seen as slander and he might come after you for that. Not worth the legal hassle.

No PADI instructor that follows standards should be concerned if a student contacts PADI. His reaction speaks volumes. I would be concerned that he did not give you the proper training for the PADI divemaster program.

Continue to work with Gary on this. He will be able to help get you to another instructor and you will be able to complete the program.

I would recommend you purchase a copy of the instructor manual. It lists everything an instructor can and cannot do. It also shows standards of what is required to complete divemaster. It is a good idea to get familiar with standards now, because if you continue to an IDC, you will be tested on them.

Good luck and keep us posted...

I've written a series of 5 Divemaster articles for my LDS's monthly newsletter. These articles detail the process of PADI Divemaster training, what to expect, what is required, and how to succeed. I'm writing my final summation article now and plan to put together another sticky post for the Going Pro forum. I may even shop the articles to some magazines.

PM me your email address and I will send them to you. Read them and relate what's covered to the training you received. Since there's far too much to cover in these posts here, you'll get a much better idea of the level of training you received versus what is required in the course.

It sounds to me like you've encountered someone who wants extensive free labor, operates outside of standards and is pissed when you called 'em on it.

Back
Top Bottom