Finish DM with different Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He always gave me such a hard time about questions or comments that I had from SB.
It doesn't help you, of course, but if anyone else gets that response, it should be considered a brightly lit and vigorously waving red flag (with no diagonal white stripe, either).

It's perfectly acceptable, of course, for an instructor or other mentor to look at you like you've just asked whether purple or green tastes better with peanut buttered ostrich shoelaces. Some of the questions that can be generated can sound downright confusingly strange, especially if something was lost in translation somewhere. Still, even questions that elicit a head tilt, an eye roll, and a sighed chuckle should be respected, as they indicate a person is thinking and attempting to learn.

Curiosity should never be discouraged, and *especially* not in someone working toward leadership roles. Misunderstandings and misconceptions may take effort to correct or explain, but that's part and parcel to being in leadership or instructing.

(Note, of course, that there is a time and place for curiosity-induced questions, from SB or otherwhere. It may be that such questions may sometimes be beyond the scope of the class or class session, but while an instructor may put off a discussion until after class, they should never fault the questioner for asking or decline to discuss the question.)

Well, out of the blue last night I got an email from him, a quote from it:

"the number one rule in diving-Don't hold your breath!"

I guess that means that PADI contacted him... I forwarded it onto PADI.

I hope PADI pulls through on this.

Apparently this guy is willing to stonewall PADI too. Can a shop or instructor lose the ability to certify new divers? How far will PADI go to support a student against a deranged shop owner that is probably telling a very different story now?

I would go after him legally for the tution cost. Maybe you could end up owning a dive shop... This person sounds like the type that can't stand any challenge of his authority or veracity. At the least you would get the satisfaction of REALLY pissing him off for the trials and tribulations he has caused.

Update... PADI *must* have called him - I got an email stating he would send my paperwork with referral on March 11th. A few hours later I got another email stating it was sent yesterday. One hitch, he was demanding to know my new instructors name and contact info, so he could "warm" them up for me. Well, first of all I don't have another instructor yet (up for suggestion in the Denver area) but not sure I want him "warming" up anyone. With his unprofessional behavior up to this point I can only imagine what would be said. I have requested to speak personally to the person from PADI, who obviously contacted him so I can get the story... I want to know what happened and feel that after all this it should be something I should hear. His abrupt turnaround can only mean PADI saw thru all the crap and got onto him, I want to hear that one way or another. If so I will be back where I was originally, a devout PADI member. It will be interesting to see the state my paperwork is in knowing that it should have been a done deal...
Anyone know or can guess how much this will cost me to finish elsewhere? Hopefully I won't have to pay the entire costs again....

Get your paperwork, assess your state of completion, then see what it will cost elsewhere to complete. Then demand a course refund and if he doesn't give it file a small claims suit against him for your additional costs to complete elsewhere. Wait until you get the paperwork, though. I agree, I wouldn't want him "warming" up anyone for you. As it is, he's probably going to be telling everyone for years what a lousy DMC you were.

One hitch, he was demanding to know my new instructors name and contact info, so he could "warm" them up for me.
When you have a new instructor, *if* that new instructor decides he wants to talk to the old instructor (which will be after the new instructor's talked to you, of course), the new instructor can call the old instructor. That's completely up to the new instructor, and if I were you, I would not even ask the new instructor not to do so. Asking that could potentially put the new instructor in an uncomfortable place, and you wouldn't want the new instructor to be taken by surprise later if the old instructor suddenly appears. (Frankly, after hearing your story, *I* would certainly contact him if I were your new instructor, but I'd do it basically out of fascination and to know whether there's someone out there I should specifically caution my other divers about.)

As for the old instructor, he has no right to even ask such a thing of you, and to demand it is unconscionable.

Update... PADI *must* have called him - I got an email stating he would send my paperwork with referral on March 11th. A few hours later I got another email stating it was sent yesterday. One hitch, he was demanding to know my new instructors name and contact info, so he could "warm" them up for me.
Well it’s good to hear it is heading in the right direction.
You don’t have to give him any information. When you do find another instructor to complete the course they may or may not contact your original instructor. I would suspect they would as it is not common to see a referral for a DM.
I have also known PADI to locate one for people who have had ‘problems’ with another instructor. Ie: not insured, not current teaching status and not sending in PIC because of it. Your new instructor may have the information. Talk with them.

I want to know what happened and feel that after all this it should be something I should hear. His abrupt turnaround can only mean PADI saw thru all the crap and got onto him, I want to hear that one way or another. If so I will be back where I was originally, a devout PADI member.
You know what happened and you told your side of it. Do you really want to hear the crap this guy tried to feed PADI? My hat is off to you for not ‘taking it’ from this person and to PADI for acting on it and not sweeping it under the rug. Move forward you have more positive things ahead.

Anyone know or can guess how much this will cost me to finish elsewhere? Hopefully I won't have to pay the entire costs again....
Who knows? This will most likely depend on what is documented by both parties as being completed. Hopefully the new instructor would say your 90% complete, I’ll charge you 10% of our course cost or they may just do it.

So....your paperwork was sent to PADI....which would only be the Divemaster Application....that's all that is sent it. This means he signed off saying you were done. He even emailed PADI to expedite the card.

Then he was going to call PADI to halt processing. He had some additional requirements. Not PADI's, but his.

Then this whole thing blew up.

So, was a Divemaster Application fully signed off and sent to PADI for processing? If so, then he has already certified you. Or was it all smoke? If he sent in the Divemaster Application, signed off, even emailed them to expedite processing....then he's stated with his signature that you're done. If he's now back pedaling, then he's blown his credibility as an Instructor, told PADI you're done...no wait, not done...you see where I'm going? If said Divemaster Application was indeed sent in, you should follow up on this hot potato. You might have his nuts in a vice with this.

Next...your student files with referrals....I wouldn't say anything to him or even respond to his request for information unless your PADI rep tells you to. If that is the case and your paperwork with referral is conditional on a new Instructor then possibly we can find one here that will work as a neutral party. I think the objective is to get your paperwork and see what state it's in. How much of the Divemaster Candidate Information and Evaluation Form is actually signed off as completed, how many Practical Application Record's are included...etc....it will be interesting to see how complete your student files are.

And follow up on that "paperwork sent to PADI" statement. Call PADI and route to Divemaster processing...ask if they've received your paperwork....they're bound to have received the app by now if it actually was sent in....this is key man....if he did send in the app and PADI has it...you've got him....checkmate.....

I will call them. The person who worked this whole issue is out today and she asked if we could talk on Monday or Tuesday. I'm hoping the paperwork arrives so I can discuss what I receive with her. I will call PADI because I *do* have an email from this instructor TO PADI requesting an expedited card for our then upcoming trip. Everything was finished... we took pics, the whole 9 yards.

Everything was finished... we took pics, the whole 9 yards.
Ah, I think I see your problem. Was he, perchance, German? As everyone knows, "nein" is German for "no". :D

(Hehe, interlingual puns are great, no? :biggrin:)

I... we took pics, the whole 9 yards.

This is VERY interesting....if PADI does have a completed Divemaster Application with his signature on it....you're done man. You're certified.

His only course is to either accept that and honor his signature.....OR, say no never mind, I don't certify him. IF he does this, then he opens a HUGE can of worms with his credibility....he's sent off an official document with his signature, but now he's saying no...and if the student record aren't complete....well, you see where I'm going with this?

That's a HUGE Q&A violation he will have to face....and possible consequences could be severe.....he's stepped in deep doo doo.

Hence my statement in the post above...that completed Divemaster Application sent to PADI is big....get that if it exists....and you've got him by the balls. He either agrees to let it stand, or if not face big Q&A problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom