Finally dove my Oxycheq setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mverick once bubbled...

This is not true. I work in manufacturing and have since I was 18. And we put "Made in USA" on everything. We have product shipped in from Mexico and China. And pack it out in bags that say "Made in USA". It happens all the time. And it isn't illegal. We don't and have never made the product here in the US.

And I've worked at Multiple manufacturing plants that do it. It's standard in the Industry.

I don't like it any more that anybody else. But it isn't illegal.

I thought you were an electronics Genius Jack? :D Make up your mind already, hahaha!

I have no idea about the components, but the wings are cut, sewn, and completed there (and then the wings have the carton staples driven through some of them, subsequent to which Halcyon disclaims responsibility, thereby getting a double sale from at least some customers.)

(The part in "( )" and italics is mine..... but matches exactly with my experience.)

Genesis once bubbled...

No Halcyon doesn't.

Ahem. Since you refuse to buy all but 3 products from licensed dealers, you'll forgive me if I ignore your complaints about a particular manufacturer's support.

Since when is there a "license" required to sell something from a particular company?

Oh wait - I bought my Oxycheq wing from the manufacturer, direct. Koplin is a nice guy and he has a good product - go figure.

As for Halcyon, who has the product and how it was acquired (unless stolen, of course) is not material to whether or not they put carton staples through it while "shipping and handling" it.

Nor does it change who should step to the plate and replace the damaged part of the product.

That they refused to replace it for me may be understandable, as I could not produce documentation proving that I personally purchased it from an authorized source (although that too is B.S., but its common dive manufacturer B.S.)

Of course this also means that if anyone should be so foolish as to give someone a gift of such merchandise, they're doing do with no warranty protection either - that should be real good for dive equipment sales once word of that little quirk in the policies gets around.

That they refused to replace it for the original purchaser is another matter.

I don't have to get personally screwed to observe that someone else has gotten screwed, and that such a screwing is something that I'd prefer not to suffer myself.

Genesis once bubbled...
Since when is there a "license" required to sell something from a particular company?

It's called a supply chain. Almost all manufactures use them. They sell to the distributor, the distributor sells to the dealer, the dealer sells to the customer. In Halcyon's case they bypass the distributor.

As for Halcyon, who has the product and how it was acquired (unless stolen, of course) is not material to whether or not they put carton staples through it while "shipping and handling" it.

I has 100% to do with it. It is your "claim" that Halcyon put staples through their wings. However the supply chain here went Haylcon->Dealer->{big unknown void}->you as far as Halcyon is concerned. If I were a Halcyon CS rep how would I know that the wing was not stapled after it left the dealer? I wouldn't. In fact, I'd doubt very seriously my factory is putting stapes in their own wings and assume it happened when the wing was shipped to you from the previous owner.

Nor does it change who should step to the plate and replace the damaged part of the product.

Again I must disagree. The reason for supply chains is that the manufacturer does not want the hassle of dealing with the public. If they did they wouldn't bother with dealers at all and would just sell direct, keeping all the profits for themselves. If you buy a product legit, and it comes with holes in it, you immediatly take it back to the dealer. It is the dealers responsibility to deal with Halcyon.

I've never met a dive store owner who wouldn't immediatly take back and replace a defective product. If the original owner had gone back to his LDS when he got the wing the problem would have been solved. How long did he wait? I assume longer than 60 days since you said he had to eat the cost. Did he go back to the LDS at all?

Manufacturers who will deal directly with the public are the exception, not the rule.

That they refused to replace it for me may be understandable, as I could not produce documentation proving that I personally purchased it from an authorized source (although that too is B.S., but its common dive manufacturer B.S.)

And I am completly sure had the purchaser gone back to the LDS promptly the problem would have been handled very quickly.

Of course this also means that if anyone should be so foolish as to give someone a gift of such merchandise, they're doing do with no warranty protection either - that should be real good for dive equipment sales once word of that little quirk in the policies gets around.

You are right in the the dive industry is one of the few to put a customer's name on the receipt. And if you, or the original purchaser were to go back to the LDS with such receipt in a reasonable amount of time it should be handled either way. Still it would be no dificulty for me, if I were buying a BC as a gift to ask the LDS to put the recipient's name on the receipt.

That they refused to replace it for the original purchaser is another matter.

I don't have to get personally screwed to observe that someone else has gotten screwed, and that such a screwing is something that I'd prefer not to suffer myself.

Granted there are some facts missing, which I'm sure you'll correct by answering my questions above, but here is the way I see it.

Guy buys BC. Guy waits months. Guy says hey look staple holes in the BC. Manufacturer says, must not have been there when it was bought or the guy would have brought it back then.

Staple holes are not a manufacturer's defect and should not be subject to an extended waranty. Reported months afer the fact it is perfectly reasonable for both the manufacturer and the LDS to assume they are the result of misuse AFTER the sale. If they guy couldn't take 60 seconds to blow up his new BC and check for leaks, he screwed himself.

My original pioneer 36lb wing had the infamous staple holes. I contacted a very well known "AUTHORIZED" halcyon dealer from whom i purchased my wing from the minute i found the holes.After given the run around for several weeks and basically told i would have to eat the wing i contacted halcyon directly. At the time i contacted them i had just gotten off the phone with their authorized dealer that gave me the same crappy run around.

I told halcyon what i thought of their product and their service.The rep told me they would promptly replace the wing and that their authorized dealer must have misunderstood them.Their authorized dealer personally told me that they hate to deal with halcyon as they are a-holes.Sounds like a good bussiness relationship to me.

Lucky for me i had plans to use the wing the next day so i found the holes quickly.Unlucky for me i didnt get a wing till about 6 weeks later.

I would have never expected to get a brand new wing with two holes in it.

Jackknife once bubbled...

I thought you were an electronics Genius Jack? :D Make up your mind already, hahaha!

Read up on a Chem E degree.

We build manufacturing plants. For anything. Which includes the whole process. So you get to take classes that relate to all kinds of engineering. Know what a VFD is? 3 Phase ought to be simple for ya. Ever heard of Provox or ABB, Moler, Allen Bradley??? Parastalic pump, Magnetic couplings, Calciners, Pellet Mills?

Don't know where you got Electronics genius from. Puttin together an O2 analyzer doesn't take a genius. I was putting circuits together from Radio Shack when I was 8. Soldering isn't difficult to learn. My dad did it. So I picked it up. Rebuilt cars, trucks, Jeeps, motorcycles. All taught by my father. I wrecked it, I fixed it.

If you can't build it. You don't have any business in engineering. That's the problem with engineering today. Engineers that aren't mechanicly inclined.

So Jackknife,

When you ask people if you want fries with that order. Feel good about yourself. You've really pushed the envelope...

lal7176 once bubbled...
Lucky for me i had plans to use the wing the next day so i found the holes quickly.Unlucky for me i didnt get a wing till about 6 weeks later.

And you took the correct route even though it did not work out for you. Personally, after two weeks I would have just called Amex and had the charges removed.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom