Finally dove my Oxycheq setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...

No Halcyon doesn't.

I got a Halcyon doubles wing. It had obvious shippnig damage. I ended up EATING the bladder (ok, the guy who sold it to me did, but its the same difference.)

There is no way this guy, who had NEVER had it wet (obvious - there was not a scintella of moisture inside the bladder) could have caused this. The damage was obviously from carton staples.

Halcyon not only refused to replace it for me, they refused to replace it for the original purchaser, which left HIM stuck with the cost of the replacement bladder (since I had no use for a holed wing, and he had no use for one either, and he could neither return or use it in its present condition.)

Support?

HA!

So, you called them and they told you. They wouldn't replace a wing since you hadn't bought it new. You bought it from someone who bought it new.

Then the guy that bought it called and they said no dice either.

Gee, how many manufacturers guarantee equipment after you've sold it to someone else??? And it's nice to know Halcyon isn't stupid and fell for the original owners line.

If it had obvious damage. From shipping from Halcyon. Why did the guy wait and sell it to you before calling Halcyon?

And 3 dives ain't a work out.

And PadiScubaPro...

Thanks, yours are the only comments that are resonable and well explained.

Although the China stuff is a little ridiculous.

vodolaz once bubbled...
What Halcyon products are you alluding to?
I was told by several sources the wings are.. I don;t know about other products..

padiscubapro once bubbled...

I was told by several sources the wings are.. I don;t know about other products..
Where does this rumor come from? I've seen them myself in production at High Springs, FL.

Gee, how many manufacturers guarantee equipment after you've sold it to someone else??? And it's nice to know Halcyon isn't stupid and fell for the original owners line.

If it had obvious damage. From shipping from Halcyon. Why did the guy wait and sell it to you before calling Halcyon?

He had never used it. Bought it to take cave training and then cancelled the class. He was clearly not lying, as the wing had never been used. The bladder had NEVER been wet. He simply didn't know it was damaged, as he had never attempted to dive it.

The damage was CLEARLY an OE problem. There is no way anything other than a carton staple could have caused the damage. No chance at all. I've seen this kind of damage on other ""soft goods" products before, and it was instantly obvious to me what caused it. I called Halcyon, they basically told me to piss off. The original owner then attempted to have Halcyon cover their own product under their own supposed warranty to him as the original purchaser and they told HIM to piss off. The end result was that he handed me back the cost of the replacement bladder and I had EE send me the replacement, as Halcyon refused to honor their warranty and make good on their screw-up.

That Halcyon refused to cover it for me I understand. But the guy who bought it originally purchased it from a real no-BS authorized Halcyon dealer. They should have replaced it for him in any event, as it was clearly an original defect, the wing had never been in the water, and it was less than three months old at the time - and he had the paperwork to prove it.

I have zero faith that Halcyon will stand behind anything they make after that little incident. Yes, I have one of their doubles wings, and its ok now (with a new bladder) but the fact remains that they refused to honor their own warranty and stuck one of their customers for an "extra" $200 in a completely-unjustified manner.

Mverick once bubbled...

And PadiScubaPro...

Thanks, yours are the only comments that are resonable and well explained.

Although the China stuff is a little ridiculous.

I try and think out my responses, provide background and not just rant.. If I'm not honest saying I sell his stuff, it sound like a sales pitch... or manufacture advertisement, but not my honest opinion.. Believe me if I didn't think it was a well executed product I definately would not support it... My professional image means alot to me.

I personally like the fact that he is supporting manufacturing in the states... too many companies these days are looking for the cheapest fix..

I really feel his wings are going to do well.. Especially after seeing how much it improved a divers trim and how quickly.. The market here (NY) is probably bigger for the larger wings as opposed to the 30# since the majority of active divers up here progress pretty quickly to steel doubles.... I used the original wings/backplate diverite sold to cavers for many years (a SEAPRO dual bladder Atpac prior to this), then switched to OMS for the heavier construction (Our wrecks put a beating on gear), and will probably outfit my RB with an Oxycheq wing once he comes up with a dual wing..

Padiscubapro,

Thanks for the comments on the wings. I have dealt with Patrick a lot for 02 stuff and have no complaints. If the wing is good and is nice and streamlined, it is another tool for the toolbox.

When I need a new wing, I will be looking into them.
ERic

vodolaz once bubbled...
Where does this rumor come from? I've seen them myself in production at High Springs, FL.

Final assembly or the making of the components (shell, bladders, inflators)??

if any component is outsourced from outside the USA it can only be labeled assembled in USA, to put a label made in USA it has to be just that..

Most US companies who produce stuff here affix a lable made in usa (if they can) to increase us marketshare.

if any component is outsourced from outside the USA it can only be labeled assembled in USA, to put a label made in USA it has to be just that..

This is not true. I work in manufacturing and have since I was 18. And we put "Made in USA" on everything. We have product shipped in from Mexico and China. And pack it out in bags that say "Made in USA". It happens all the time. And it isn't illegal. We don't and have never made the product here in the US.

And I've worked at Multiple manufacturing plants that do it. It's standard in the Industry.

I don't like it any more that anybody else. But it isn't illegal.

Genesis once bubbled...

No Halcyon doesn't.

There is no way this guy, who had NEVER had it wet (obvious - there was not a scintella of moisture inside the bladder) could have caused this. The damage was obviously from carton staples.

This is identical to my 36lb wing when i received it brand new.It did get replaced by halcyon but went through hell doing so.

Final assembly or the making of the components (shell, bladders, inflators)??

Most US companies who produce stuff here affix a lable made in usa (if they can) to increase us marketshare.
I had no idea the conditions were so rigorous. If that's the case, I doubt we'll ever see anything but the simplest products "Made in the USA". I'm thinking about electronics, cars, planes, etc.

I have no idea about the components, but the wings are cut, sewn, and completed there.

Back
Top Bottom