Finally dove my Oxycheq setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
ONE WORD, WOWWAWESOME!!!

Dove the Redondo Submarine Canyon with it. Configuration Aluminum Backplate/Oxycheq wing and Brand New DUI CF200X Drysuit.

I got to say this is a huge difference from my usual Dive Rite and Transpac with Rec Wings.

The trim I was able to maintain, perfectly horizontal, ease of use was just short of amazing. If some of you had read some of my posts in the past, I originally had a faced down problem, until I adjusted my trim weighting and wing position when worn with my Transpac/Recwings.

With this new Oxycheq wing, I absolutely did not have to kick at all to maintain a positive heads up buoyancy on the surface, and maintaining horizontal trim was an absolute sell for me.

Just so you guys know, I have been waiting for a wing like this to be developed for a while and Patrick from Oxycheq made that a reality for me.

I don't agree necessarily about the hose length issue that some of you had debated on, it was not dangling like some of you would think, it stayed perfectly out of the way, it is just fine. But I'm sure if you guys talk to Patrick about it maybe he can accomodate sometime in the future.

All in all, I was able to hover 5 inches off the floor bottom and stay there effortlessly and I never had to labor once to maintain balance.

You guys will like it, it was worth every penny.

That's my 2 cents for all those who have been waiting.

It's the best, and for all you DIR folks don't knock Oxycheq Wings, it's definitely just as good or better than Halcyon's Wings, I have no doubt in that.

It's U.S. made, the air flows completely around the wing, it's not horseshoe shaped. It's longer and narrower in the sides so cutting through the water was no sweat.

My dive partner even commented how he couldn't believe it was a wing with 45 lbs. of lift, he said it looked more like a 30 lbs. wing. I can't agree more with him.

I wonder where Halcyon's has their equipment made? If some of you really research that fact it would probably trip you out. Hahhahaa, have fun on that.

Well, for those of you who have been waiting for this, that's what I have to say. It's AWESOME, and the quality of the material that it is made from just makes it stand out from the rest.

I've got all the lift if I ever need, and still compactness to boot. YAH Baby YAH!

Amazing.

I love the thing. As was said, trim was nailed spot-on.

I'm looking forward to getting into some real water for it.

My only gripe is that the LP hose that Koplin shipped with the wing is WAY too long for my reg setup. My Halcyon-length one is perfect.

BTW I own a Halcyon 36 as well. Between the two in the pool the Oxycheq appears to be nicer in terms of trim - its not a BIG difference, but its a difference.

It also looks damn near bulletproof in terms of construction, as the expanding part is on the INSIDE and is protected by the tank.

Very low drag, very low profile in the water, dives like a dream.

Halcyon is doomed in terms of singles wings - these wings outclass Halcyon's product handily.

The 45 is more lift than I need for most of my diving; the 36 was usable dry but marginal, and perfectly fine wet. The Oxycheq appears to give up nothing though while having FAR more real lift at the surface - its enough to nearly float you completely out of the water when on the surface, and in rough seas that'll be appreciated.

I suspect the 30 will be just fine for anyone who dives only wetsuits; I debated between the two, but decided that if I really liked the 45 I'd just get a 30 too and use one for dry and one for wet :)

I may do that yet.

45lbs? Are these singles or doubles wings? Whichever, I hope to get a chance to try them myself one of these days. One of my buddies is planning on getting one of the doubles wings, so maybe I won't have to wait long.

Jackknife once bubbled...
It's the best, and for all you DIR folks don't knock Oxycheq Wings, it's definitely just as good or better than Halcyon's Wings, I have no doubt in that.
For the sake of impartiality, how many dives do you have on Halcyon wings?

Jackknife once bubbled...
I wonder where Halcyon's has their equipment made? If some of you really research that fact it would probably trip you out. Hahhahaa, have fun on that.
The wings are made in High Springs, FL. I've seen it myself.

I have ~75 dives on my Halcyon 36.

IMHO the Oxycheq is FAR nicer overall, and the trim is SPOT ON. There is no "expanding panel crap" at the bottom to mess with you as you shift body position in the water.

My understanding is that there is a 30lb unit too; I got the 45; the 30s were not yet available (another week or so) and there are times the existing Pioneer 36 was marginal in the past for me (in my drysuit specifically.) The 45 is more than enough, but amazingly it seems to give up NOTHING in use when you need far less than its rated capacity.

While diving it comes up around both sdies of the tank and "cradles" it; the result is spot-on trim irrespective of body position. I had zero trouble choosing exactly what orientation I wanted.

Now given, all I have on it at this point is pool time (it just showed up today!); I'll fix that next week :)

The Pioneer is done - put a fork in it.

LOL...

You guys sound like you really love these things... I think anyone else that tries them will say the same thing..

I also believe that Halcyon's reign of the single tank wing is OVER!!!!!!

I have a 45# wing also, I am still waiting to get it wet. Maybe tomorrow...

Genesis once bubbled...

It also looks damn near bulletproof in terms of construction, as the expanding part is on the INSIDE and is protected by the tank.

Can you post a pic or describe how the expanding section works.I have never been a big fan of the expanding bellow sides of the pioneer 36lb wing.I was just curious how patrick and scott designed theirs.

It;s an expanding gusset on the inside of the bladder where the tank goes. Look at my profile pic, its inside where the camband slots are...

Edit: Sorry, wrong pic... this is the "diver side" of the bladder, gusset is on the other side...

Ok, changed the pic to the one that you can see the gusset expanding...

Ok i got ya. It looks they have done a great job on their wings. Its nice to see a couple of good ol boys provide some stiff competition to the big boys. It looks like the pioneer wings days are numbered.

Back
Top Bottom