Finally dove my Oxycheq setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife once bubbled...

Are you in charge of Customer Relations for Halcyon?
I'd love to be able to get gear at cost, but no, I'm just a customer.

Yeah, I have to back up Scott and Patrick on this one...

Mverick, you are spouting so much bull I need my boots...

Second, I have been dealing with Patrick for a while now, and I have had no problems... He is a great guy, and DOES NOT have an attitude... I would say, everyone has their own experiences with people, but in this case, you are WAY off base...

OXYCHEQ is a fine company, and Patrick, and Scott are some of THE most educated people about this gear, and other manufacturers... They know their stuff...

I hate being arrogant, but I have to say, this wing is AWESOME!!!!

I will be diving mine tomorrow, and I will give a full report...

Chuck

I think it's Koplin.

Yea, I've built molds. And it doesn't take an engineer to build. For vacume forming machines. Used multiple plastics too. Teflon impregnated for slideing molds. All the colors and even clear. Worked with extruders there also. Alot of stuff was brought in in sheet form. Had our trays injection molded too. Then did a 4 color silk screen on them. Looks just like a picture.

Worked there While I was going to college for Chem E. It has electronics in it. For your knowledge. Soldered up boards. Used bread boards alot to get my toys right before a final build.

Worked in Steel Mills. In every process involved and in the lab. Know my metals pretty well. Every mixed your own Ti alloys? Run a stress test? On metals or plastics?? Done any Anodizing?? There are multiple ways to do it...

Work in the Chemical industry now. Better pay and stability. Food grade, fire retardent, Water treatment, Pharmacy grade, Tech grade.

And, I'm not attacking the Oxycheq gear. Other then saying your limiting your market by forcing the consumer to use a STA. Ever take any business classes?? If it's a good wing. Great. But, as you've pointed out. I have zero time with it. Funny thing is. All the posters on this site prasing it. Have a total of maybe 10 dives total on it. And bragging about how it's better then a Halcyon. Sorry, they don't have enough time on the Oxy wing to make that statement. Do You???

I get pissy, as you call it, over a $15 display because if he won't cover it. I worry he wont cover his other products. Funny that I don't know about soldering as you think. But I know exactly where to get the display from. Same place he gets them. They sell alot of Electronics supplies.

Yep, I have a 2 piece STA in stainless. I don't need or want any extra weight. And yep, it fits real close to my back with it on. FredT makes a real nice 2 piece. But I don't need the weight so I don't use it anymore. I don't need or want the Extra weight of a STA. So why would I want a wing that has to have one???

And you obviously are confused. I didn't say he was talking down Halcyon gear. I said he kept saying all he carried was the best gear. Because he was little and wasn't financially able to deal with returns. So if it was suspect, he wouldn't carry it. So all he carried was the best. And that ain't no Bull. It's what he said.

My Best friend was standing right there beside me. He was in the market for a wing. For duals. When we walked away I told him it would definately be worth checking out. But there were some problems with some of the other stuff. Halcyon backs there gear and so far. He hadn't from my experience.

Oh, if you can't take the heat. Maybe you should just pack your backplates and your wings and go diving. You're obviously trying to make money on these things. You have a vested interest in them. Tell me why the wing is better. If you want in engineering terms. But someone after 3 dives or 1 in the pool. I have a hard time believing they have the experience I'm looking for. They were saying how it was so much better then a Halcyon. After 3 dives???? Yea, you've really tested it out....

And actually, Patrick didn't seem like that bad of a guy. But if he won't back up a $18 part. I don't want to risk money on a $1400 computer. Doesn't mean I wont buy him a beer.

The wing ain't proven yet. Get it? You just released it. Quite your cryin...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Yeah, I have to back up Scott and Patrick on this one...

Mverick, you are spouting so much bull I need my boots...

I hate being arrogant, but I have to say, this wing is AWESOME!!!!

I will be diving mine tomorrow, and I will give a full report...

Chuck

This is what I'm talking about.

"The wing is AWESOME. I'll be diving it tomorrow."

Boy, alot of experience behind that statement...

And he's selling the things. Real impartial judge....

What????

I cant comment on the way the wing looks? Materials, and workmanship??? First impressions dont count????

Whatever buddy....

Why dont you just go diving... You have alot of angst...

Or maybe its wing envy...

You know, we wont laugh at you if you get an Oxycheq wing too!!! Go ahead, do yourself a favor, and get one for yourself. PM me...

there are obviously some people who wish really bad that halcyon gets its behind kicked. i can only assume these people feel that halcyon treated them badly at some point or was too arrogant. it certainly shows that spotty customer service as eluded to in some of the halcyon threads can backfire.
by the way, i saw the oxy 30# wing today and while it looks good i don't think it looks any better in terms of workmanship and materials than the pioneer. time is the true test. and then there is a 29# oms coming out...

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Here is my question - anyone dive the 50 or 70 doubles wing?

If the Oxycheq wing is better than the halcyon explorer, great. That gives people more choices to choose from. DIR is not about Halcyon gear, gear is just one part of the total system. I first had an old style DR classic wing, loved it until I put a hole in it - got a 65 lb. explorer to replace it and am really pleased with it. If I have a chance to try Patrick's wing, I will. If I need a new one and I like the wing - well, it allows me to look at a more options.

Eric

Eric,
I didn't personally dive the 70# wing but my student did.. 2 weeks ago I ran an ext range and trimix class 10 dives plus some fun dives.. I have been diving with this person before since in the past I did his adv nitrox and deco procedures plus lot of leisure dives.. So I know his skills well..
I ran an ANDI class which REQUIRES a redundant bladder for ext range and trimix training.. I sold him the first wing patrick shipped (It was actually drop shipped from the manufacturer)
For those thinking about bashing the length of the inflator hose.. due to positioning, the 14' hose he sells is about the same as a 12' on a halycon.. the stock hose is a 16' but an 18' is also available.. so just by asking you can get your inflator 14,16, or 18 inches...My student oringinally thought the Halycon was just slightly shorter than he liked so I got it with a 16' for him..

He used a halycon wing in the past.. I convinced him to use the halycon wing as a backup and use the oxycheq as a primary.. The firts dive was his shakedown dive, besides a different wing he was also slinging 2 80s for the class... His trim was a bit off... the second dive was noticibly better... by the thrird dive it was better than I have ever seen him... He commented on how well the wing kept his body positioning.. The oxycheq wings are narrower than the halycon wings and slightly longer with it being narrorer at the top and wider at the bottom.. the wing puts you in a natural 10 degree down attitude when properly inflated...

In his words "I never go back to my Halycon Wing"

I do sell oxycheq products but diving is not my livelyhood so I don't have to push gear.. Everything I have ever seen him sell is always top shelf..

Patrick has always been upfront with me even before I started selling some of his stuff.. I have been lucky and have gotten to try products ahead of time and can honestly say we have become friends.. This is probably because he is a straight shooter.. He says whats on his mind (especially after a night out :0 )

Dan,
I was in Pat's booth in Chicago for part of the show and for the most part he was restrained.. although at times he talked a bit more than normal.. If patrick really wanted to bash halycon he would have promoted the fact that his stuff is made in the USA and not from some slave wage country like China...

The greenforce lights are pretty cool.. they probably will be getting more expensive since the dollar is really tanking.. The belgium guy that makes those lights is so anal.. I don't think those lights could ever flood.. they may look a bit strange but triple o ring seals and the HID bulbs can be easily changed in a few minutes...
I personally use a Sartek lights ( I have 3 18watt lights), but will probably sell 2 of the 18 watt units to get the 30 watt hids ( I use a pair of them as video lights)
My sartek ligkts have flooded, my lead acid cannister twice!... if they were machined like the greenforce lights it wouldn;t have flooded.. His "little johnson" lights are a good replacement for the scout a double oring seal (as opposed to a single) so even if you back it off a bit too far you still have a second oring.. also the attachment point is a bit better thought out..

As for the "RODS" on the halycon.. I never liked them.. I tried the wing and though it was a cheap and flimsy fix.. The people I know who use the pioneer wing prefer to use them with an STA...

Halcyon backs there gear and so far. He hadn't from my experience.

No Halcyon doesn't.

I got a Halcyon doubles wing. It had obvious shippnig damage. I ended up EATING the bladder (ok, the guy who sold it to me did, but its the same difference.)

There is no way this guy, who had NEVER had it wet (obvious - there was not a scintella of moisture inside the bladder) could have caused this. The damage was obviously from carton staples.

Halcyon not only refused to replace it for me, they refused to replace it for the original purchaser, which left HIM stuck with the cost of the replacement bladder (since I had no use for a holed wing, and he had no use for one either, and he could neither return or use it in its present condition.)

Support?

HA!

BTW, dove the Koplin 45 singles wing today. Three dives, all pretty serious single-tank affairs (to 110' bug-hunting) and the trim is better than anything I've ever dove, including the Halcyon Pioneer 36 which I also own.

The Halcyon isn't a bad wing, but the Oxycheq is simply better in the water. Having close to 100 dives on the Pioneer, the difference was immediately noticable to me.

padiscubapro once bubbled...

If patrick really wanted to bash halycon he would have promoted the fact that his stuff is made in the USA and not from some slave wage country like China...
What Halcyon products are you alluding to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom