Finally dove my Oxycheq setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Well Dan,
Seems the Halcyon boys have their tongue's in their cheeks this past week, eh? Mighty quiet on the DIR front this week reading all the Oxy Cheq reviews...

Perhaps Patrick was right, or so it seems reading these reviews lately. I haven't read ANY posts about Oxy Cheq's wings having pin holes or staple holes in them yet. Funny neither has OMS to date!

Wow, seems maybe Halcyon gear is no better than my OMS wings, eh? And I saved over $120 on my wings over Halcyon's.

Teach GUE to poke fun at OMS wings...whats that saying about 'Egg on your face?' Guess now GUE will have to edit their DIR:F book and now list the Oxy Cheq's as 'DIR approved.'

Hahaha. LOL.

Have you ever read the DIRF book? AFAIR, they don't say "Halcyon wings are good and OMS wings are bad." They give guidelines on what is good and what is bad in a wing. Same for all the gear.

Maybe you can tell me what page I can find the "DIR approved" manufacturers on...

Dan Gibson once bubbled...
That's funny. I could have sworn that JJ dives Scuba Pro. I know for a fact that David Rhea dives Scuba Pro. George is an Apeks person but still uses Scuba Pro, Oceanic and is now testing Atomics.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

I came up with it on there websites. Looking at there gear config. I said DIR used to be MK20/G250. Now it's APEKS. I didn't say they threw there ScubaPro in the trash and went to APEKS.

And if I'm right, those guys you listed aren't the only DIR divers...

I still use my ScubaPro's for Stage cylinders. But the hoses route better from Apeks for me. And I've seen and heard of MK20's freezing. Although mine never have. And I've been under ice and usually in 42 degree water temps. But when I came out 4 weeks ago. 1 guy came up and said he had problems with his free flowing on the last dive. Not bad. But problems.

or, for that matter, any unsealed first-stage, are inappropriate for ice-diving conditions. Period, end of discussion, game, set and match.

SP has waged a TEN YEAR war on this front and has not yet "won". They never will win, other than by packing the first stage with grease, which works but sucks in terms of contamination getting in there and makes a rebuild a REAL mess of a job.

Now the new Mk25s (just saw one) have this thing that looks like the borg just above their turret - the latest attempt to get more surface area near the big end of the piston and keep the water in the balance chamber from freezing.

The simple fact of the matter is that all this claptrap, including the insane bushing frenzy and composite piston garbage that SP has engaged in over the years, is crap.

Its pure, unadulterated crap!

SP makes a diaphram first. If you want to dive in water under 45F or so, use either it (sealed, of course) or a suitable sealed BD regulator from a different manufacturer.

No piston reg is truly suitable for those conditions.

If you do not want to dive in those conditions, then the SP Mk10 is one of the best-performing regs available, is quite cheap on the second-hand market, can be rebuilt by a monkey in his sleep, and other than the turret bolt (which you must not overtighten and darn sure should use a torque wrench on) and the seat (which is a "custom" part) the rest of the reg uses standard, off-the-shelf O-rings which you can replace with EPDM parts (oxygen compatable) for about FIFTY CENTS A REBUILD.

I own several Mk10s and am always on the lookout for more in reasonable condition - they work well with virtually any second, are simple, work well, and outperform 90% of the other crap out there.

And by buying on the secondary market I give SP - who is one of the worst in the business when it comes to the price-fixing games - exactly nothing. Nor do I need their "rebuild parts" for most overhauls; the only exception to that is if I need a new seat.

Have a copy of it right here, and if I may refer to pg 71 showing the red 'bondage wing' pictured - now WHO else would they (GUE) be referring to with a actual picture of an OMS bungee wing - Dive Rite's? It's common knowledge that OMS makes bungee wings. No surprise there...

And if I may also quote on pg 71 the caption below Halcyon's pic of the Explorer wing - "The Halcyon wing is streamlined and specifically designed for DIR."

In other words, if I dive an OMS bungee wing, I'm not diving DIR. I MUST be diving DIW!

HOW arrogant and opinionated IS that?

Talk about pure hype and BS.

Scoobie,

Take three deep breaths, Bud, and focus on something calming. This thread doesn't need to turn into a DIR/Anti-DIR dispute.

I'm not a DIR diver. But you can find them here and there on this board, and if you do a search under "wings" you'll find only a few of them that get wild-eyed and frantic over Halcyon. MHK and any number of other GUE instructors have emphasized repeatedly that Dive Rite Classics, OMS, and other wings are perfectly fine for DIR diving. They don't like bungees, true, but at least four manufacturers I can think of make wings that many DIR divers use, both on the east coast and the west coast.

Oxycheq makes a nice product. I went over the one that Mech Diver used. Good stuff. But Halycon has no monopoly and to the best of my knowledge never claimed one. JJ pushes Halcyon in his book, true,...but nowhere in the book does he state that Halcyon is 'the only approved DIR wing'.

It's good to have choices, and I think Scott has a nice wing. Lots of guys will try one. Halcyon will still be around, and they make some nice stuff also. Neither of these products will ever be 'the one, the only, the exclusively DIR wing'.

Genesis once bubbled...
or, for that matter, any unsealed first-stage, are inappropriate for ice-diving conditions. Period, end of discussion, game, set and match.

Well, I've had mine under ice. And use them all the time in 42 Degree water. And have never had a freeflow. I have 3. Never froze.

Not everyones experience. But it's mine.

But I do use Apeks because they are sealed. And I trust them more. I believe it's a better design.

Have a copy of it right here, and if I may refer to pg 71 showing the red 'bondage wing' pictured - now WHO else would they (GUE) be referring to with a actual picture of an OMS bungee wing - Dive Rite's? It's common knowledge that OMS makes bungee wings. No surprise there...

And if I may also quote on pg 71 the caption below Halcyon's pic of the Explorer wing - "The Halcyon wing is streamlined and specifically designed for DIR."
That's a comparison between a bungee wing and a non-bungee wing, not necessarily between brands. Notice it doesn't mention non-bungeed OMS or Dive Rite wings. If Halcyon made a bungee wing - and what's stopping them? - it's still wouldn't be DIR.

I'd like to try the oxycheq wing myself, though I'm not in the market for a new wing from anyone at the moment.

Not the only ones, but some of the top people in GUE. You make it sound like if you dive SP you are no longer DIR. I would like someone to say that directly to the GUE cave training director. BTW, he is a SP rep. There are many regs that are acceptable.

George said the stuff about throwing away SP regs. From everything I have read, George throws away any reg before he will overhaul them. Although I seriously doubt that statement should be taken too seriously.

I have actually found that the Apeks DS4s are not the best selection for hose routing on doubles unless you angle them slightly. I was trapping air because the wing was pinched by the backup reg. David Rhea suggested I angle the DS4s slightly, the problem was solved. His MK25/S600 regs and a buddy's Atomics never caused the wing to be pinched. This is while using 104s and a 55# wing.

I do like the way the Apeks routes on a stage.

Mverick once bubbled...

I came up with it on there websites. Looking at there gear config. I said DIR used to be MK20/G250. Now it's APEKS. I didn't say they threw there ScubaPro in the trash and went to APEKS.

And if I'm right, those guys you listed aren't the only DIR divers...

I still use my ScubaPro's for Stage cylinders. But the hoses route better from Apeks for me. And I've seen and heard of MK20's freezing. Although mine never have. And I've been under ice and usually in 42 degree water temps. But when I came out 4 weeks ago. 1 guy came up and said he had problems with his free flowing on the last dive. Not bad. But problems.

Maybe you should wait some and see how well the wings hold up. It's still a bit early, dont you think?

Patrick wasn't right, he was an ass at the Our World Underwater show. If his product is good, so be it. Let the consumer pick what they want and hopefully they will be happy. Why he has to put down another product to promote his is plain stupid. Most consumer don't want to hear someone ***** about a product when they go shopping. It's just not good business.

Well Dan,
Seems the Halcyon boys have their tongue's in their cheeks this past week, eh? Mighty quiet on the DIR front this week reading all the Oxy Cheq reviews...

Perhaps Patrick was right, or so it seems reading these reviews lately. I haven't read ANY posts about Oxy Cheq's wings having pin holes or staple holes in them yet. Funny neither has OMS to date!

Wow, seems maybe Halcyon gear is no better than my OMS wings, eh? And I saved over $120 on my wings over Halcyon's.

Teach GUE to poke fun at OMS wings...whats that saying about 'Egg on your face?' Guess now GUE will have to edit their DIR:F book and now list the Oxy Cheq's as 'DIR approved.'

Hahaha. LOL.

Oh I'm not too worried. I've seen the quality of Koplin's products and I have no doubt that Patrick's are any differant. Buyers are already reporting the Oxy's to sport better materials including stitching and nylon shells.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom