Fin selection - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't like the Apeks fins I tried. They are to soft. I haven't tried the HD ones.
For wet, I recommend Scubapro Go Sport. They are the same size as the jet fins, just neutral.

And for dry, I use a chinese copy of Poseidon Trident fins. Served me well so far. but they do have some strange sizing.
they are super deep and not quite wide. But they do the job.

I did try the Xdeep fins, the medium ones and they work great. Like a charm.

I’ve only heard of people using be Go Sport for recreational diving. Can you move a pair of doubles with them?

I’ve only heard of people using be Go Sport for recreational diving. Can you move a pair of doubles with them?

I don't have doubles, but I've moved myself in a drysuit, 5kg of lead, 100kg of myself and a 15L tank in cold water. And mind you they're were not fitting me right since my drysuit has rubber boots. So they were only on the tips of my feet.

And I've swam in some pretty strong currents with them no problem.

There us a video if Johnathan Byrd using them for sidemount.

You can see then being used here.

Now. I'm guessing they'd have some troubles moving you in doubles and stages. For that I'd like a heavier fin. But they're pretty stiff. And compared to OMS monoprebe, they felt more comfortable since your entire foot makes contact, instead only 2/3 like in jet syle fins

Hello, i am new diver but i am interested in technical diving and i am getting equipment to be ready for tech diving after 150-200 rec dives.I have already Cressi Spacefrog fins but i am looking for new pair of fins.
I am wetsuit diver for now,i think i won't use drysuit for 4-5 years. I am looking for pair of fin which one fits all diving styles. For example wetsuit,drysuit or tec,rec. Here are my examples:

Apeks RK3 HD
Scubapro JetFins with spring straps
OMS Tribe
Hollis F1

Actually OMS Tribe and Hollis F1 Looks like same but Hollis F1 more expensive than OMS Tribe.If they are equal i will buy OMS one because it is really cheaper than F1.

Somebody saying like, Scubapro jetfins are good but so much negatively and heavy it will effect your buoyancy.

I dont know what should i buy please help me. I can't buy Dive 6 Eddy or Diverite XT. There are no these fins in Turkey. Don't suggest me these fins please thanks.
If you want to do the back kick, I would use jet fins. Poseidon, OMS is my favorite.

They are pretty good fins, I’ve used them for Monterey shore diving, not doubles but I’m 6’5” 235lb and they are very good at moving me around, Jets are my preferred cold fin but for travel I have a yellow and a white pair of GOSport that GO with me.

I was just asking about the doubles and Go Sport since the OP is getting into tech diving and those fins are warm water travel fins to me, from the recommendations I’ve see.

I was just asking about the doubles and Go Sport since the OP is getting into tech diving and those fins are warm water travel fins to me, from the recommendations I’ve see.
I know, I really like them and think it’s a great fin design but I would pick something like Jets or F1’s over the GS but wouldn’t skip a dive if that was all that there was available, they are at least as good as the Eddy in my opinion.

I honestly think @Marie13 gave the best advice. Many of these fins are of a similar category, but as you can tell from many responses, they are not the same.

Fit is important as you want your foot deep and snug (not tight} in the foot pocket so the fin feels like an extension to your foot.

Weight is important depending on your exposure protection and personal buoyancy.

Get as many "try dives" with as many fins as you can, and with the advice of your instructor.
I'll try thanks for comment

XS Scuba Turtle Fins are also similar to the Jets and others. They are popular because their sizing seems to run "in between" that of the Jets. No idea if they are available in Turkey.

Regarding weight: the measured buoyancy of the F1s (size XL) is -1.5 lbs. The XXXL Turtles are also -1.5 lbs. I would guess Jets are similar. The weight on land (about 7-8 lbs for F1s) is only important when traveling.

I doubt a single pair of fins will work for you.

In addition to buoyancy changes mentioned by others, consider the size of the foot pocket. My wetsuit fins (used with 3 or 5mm neoprene booties) are much too small to fit my drysuit rockboots. I suspect built-in drysuit boots would fare similarly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom