Fin selection - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwardsteuart

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, i am new diver but i am interested in technical diving and i am getting equipment to be ready for tech diving after 150-200 rec dives.I have already Cressi Spacefrog fins but i am looking for new pair of fins.
I am wetsuit diver for now,i think i won't use drysuit for 4-5 years. I am looking for pair of fin which one fits all diving styles. For example wetsuit,drysuit or tec,rec. Here are my examples:

Apeks RK3 HD
Scubapro JetFins with spring straps
OMS Tribe
Hollis F1

Actually OMS Tribe and Hollis F1 Looks like same but Hollis F1 more expensive than OMS Tribe.If they are equal i will buy OMS one because it is really cheaper than F1.

Somebody saying like, Scubapro jetfins are good but so much negatively and heavy it will effect your buoyancy.

I dont know what should i buy please help me. I can't buy Dive 6 Eddy or Diverite XT. There are no these fins in Turkey. Don't suggest me these fins please thanks.

The Jets are very heavy fins. Seem to be more used/recommended by drysuit divers.

The Hollis F1 are pretty heavy, as well. Hollis has a F1 LT version that is lighter in weight.

The Apeks fins are a lighter Jet fin type.

I think I’m one of the few people who actually look at a poster’s location before recommending the Eddy fins.

Have you talked to your tech instructor? He might have fins for you to try out or recommendations?

The Jets are very heavy fins. Seem to be more used/recommended by drysuit divers.

The Hollis F1 are pretty heavy, as well. Hollis has a F1 LT version that is lighter in weight.

The Apeks fins are a lighter Jet fin type.

I think I’m one of the few people who actually look at a poster’s location before recommending the Eddy fins.

Thanks for looking my location ahaha, actually i didn't talked yet. Maybe if i talk he will give me recommendations thanks.

sh.i.t
I bought the LT over the regular because I thought the LT was heavier than the regular!!!
I have floaty legs

I’m a drysuit diver. The Jets were way too heavy for me, especially with my bad knees. The F1 were heavy and way too big for my small feet. Didn’t have a small enough size. I didn’t like the F1 LT version. Didn’t like the Dive Rite fins. I use the Eddys. Work great for me. I tend to be foot heavy.

Oh and if you go with Jets, be aware the sizing is very strange. I took a small or medium in other fins with my old drysuit. Needed large with Jets. Just weird.

Hello, i am new diver but i am interested in technical diving and i am getting equipment to be ready for tech diving after 150-200 rec dives.I have already Cressi Spacefrog fins but i am looking for new pair of fins.
I am wetsuit diver for now,i think i won't use drysuit for 4-5 years. I am looking for pair of fin which one fits all diving styles. For example wetsuit,drysuit or tec,rec. Here are my examples:

Apeks RK3 HD
Scubapro JetFins with spring straps
OMS Tribe
Hollis F1

Actually OMS Tribe and Hollis F1 Looks like same but Hollis F1 more expensive than OMS Tribe.If they are equal i will buy OMS one because it is really cheaper than F1.

Somebody saying like, Scubapro jetfins are good but so much negatively and heavy it will effect your buoyancy.

I dont know what should i buy please help me. I can't buy Dive 6 Eddy or Diverite XT. There is no these fins in Turkey. Don't suggest me these fins please thanks.

Regarding the choice, you need to understand a couple of things:
- weight of the fins; dry suit -> heavier fins, wetsuit -> lighter ones
- style of diving; if you want precision and control, you need rigid fins; otherwise, you can go for more flexible ones
- your fitness level also play a role, especially if you plan to go deep

I can tell you that JetFins are pretty heavy, not sure if they are good with wetsuits.

May I ask you why you don't plan to go dry? What is the water temperature you are planning to dive? Keep in mind that even warmish water requires appropriate thermal protection when doing deco. Indeed, in the last 30min/1h of the dive, you need to avoid cold, but:
A) you will not move too much (not moving -> getting colder)
B) dives get pretty long, and as such, your body temperature is affected (more time in the water -> getting colder)

- style of diving; if you want precision and control, you need rigid fins; otherwise, you can go for more flexible ones

I can tell you that JetFins are pretty heavy, not sure if they are good with wetsuits.

May I ask you why you don't plan to go dry? What is the water temperature you are planning to dive? Keep in mind that even warmish water requires appropriate thermal protection when doing deco. Indeed, in the last 30min/1h of the dive, you need to avoid cold, but:
B) dives get pretty long, and as such, your body temperature is affected (more time in the water -> getting colder)
You are absolutely right, i wish to plan to go dry but its really expensive in Turkey. If u want to buy a good Drysuit you have to pay all of x8 minimum salary of Turkey... Unfortunately. Thanks for helping btw i need to get the medium weight if i want to do both.

I am going to the school of the commercial diving university in Turkey,its on blacksea, Water temperature is 8 Celcius to 16 Celcius in winter, 18 Celcius to 27 Celcius in Summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom