Fin Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though I used the “1000 dives” as an example, I didn’t mean to imply that I thought you should have 1000+ dives in order to be a competent instructor. Sorry, if it came across that way. What did mean was I think that a diver that has such experience is a more experienced diver and therefore would make an ideal instructor. Dive numbers alone aren’t important, but dive experience is. And the only to get that experience is to dive, so diver with 1000 dives would have to be more experienced than a diver with 50 dives. However, again I call to the experience in the area I’m seeking training in philosophy, That same diver with 50 dives in, say, cold water for example, would be more experienced in that environment than the guy with 1000+ warm water dives, making him better suited to teach cold water diving. Same goes for deep, night, or other areas of diving.

It seems, with PADI anyway, that all you need to enter their instructor program, in relation to dive numbers, is 60 dives with some experience in night, deep and navigation dives. Be a certified DiveMaster, Asst. Instructor, or Instructor with another organization. And have been certified for at least 6 months. You then must complete 100 dives before taking the Instructor Examination. You can then teach all levels through Divemaster except for specialties and Medic First Aid. Not sure how you’d go about teaching advanced courses without being able to teach specialties, but that what it says nonetheless. I don’t agree with this, but guess that’s why I’m running PADI.:) I think an instructor candidate should have at least 1-year experience in the area he wants to teach, with a minimal number of at least 200 dives in that same area. And that he should also be limited to only teaching his area of expertise. Just my .02.

Anyway, goodluck with your training and do us proud! I’m sure you’ll make a fine instructor.

Cool warhammer i am glad mostly that you didnt take offense at what i said. Hard to try to explain yourself without sounding "a know it all" Argh. I understand what you are saying certainly. Dam how did we get onto this :) all i asked for was fin advice :/

In relation to dove numbers, not that it matters, but its around 45 dives not 60. Just making it clear thats all. Now a good point is about logging dives. mMy uncle dived himself silly as a young lad but now he teaches all manner of diving especially in the navy. He has an old head on him...unless you have experienced it you shouldnt even be dwelling on it. :)

LoCz,
It's great that you are so eager to jump right in (pun intended). This is an industry you will most likely fall in love with, having said that however, you need to unerstand that the opinions that you are diagreeing with are members whom are already established in this industry. In saying that, I'm just kindly reminding you that you having been under pressure yet, so therefor you have no frame of reference. I have a feeling that your opinions may change one you see it from our angle... Once again, I'm just pointing this out, and am in no way trying to offend you. Keep the good questions coming, but pause long enough to listen and soak in the replies.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!
Mario

Heck no, no offense taken or implied. That's what I love about this board. Been here for a few months and I've yet to see a flame.

In regards to the numbers, I was quoting PADI's guidelines for enrolling in the Instructor course. You can read them here. And I'll post them here for your convinence:

The PADI Instructor Development Program prepares you to function as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor. In addition, it further develops your leadership and teaching abilities to the instructor level and prepares you to teach PADI programs.

To qualify for the PADI Instructor Development program, you must:

• 1. Be certified as a PADI Assistant Instructor or a PADI Divemaster, or as an instructor with another recreational diver training organization.
  • 2. Be at least 18 years old.
  • 3. Be fit for diving and submit a medical form signed by a physician.
  • 4. Have been a certified diver for at least six months and logged at least 60 open water dives with experience in night, deep and navigation prior to beginning the Instructor Development Program, and have been a certified diver for at least 6 months and logged at least 100 dives prior to entering the Instructor Examination.
  • 5. Submit proof of CPR training within 24 months.

As a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor you can conduct the entire range of PADI experience programs and PADI diver programs, from Open Water Diver through Divemaster (except for specialties and PADI Medic First Aid, which require specific Specialty Diver Instructor and MEDIC FIRST AID® Instructor ratings).

For their Divemaster program, you must have logged at least 20 dives prior to entering it and then completed at least 60 by it's end, which then you can go straight to the Instructor course. And you'd also have to hold an OW cert, Advanced cert and a Rescue cert.

How did we get on this subject? Man, who knows. Anyway enjoy your endevor. Stay wet!

Couple of things:
I originally threw out the 1,000 dives, and it was not to be taken as scripture, but more as a very loose guideline. I personally have very little diving experience but grew up surfing/sailing/snorkling. I was just certified this month (although I have numerous uncertified, less than 35 foot dives, and know a fair amount about marine biology). That is more of where my comment came from... the marine environment is a very dynamic one.. we know more about space than our oceans... so, there is a lot to learn, not just about breathing underwater, but the world below. That is best learned, below (experience is the best teacher).

I have a feeling the mentoring on this board is going to prove to be very valuable. (I love the quick replies).

Gotta love a sport where you can say, "Stay wet" to anyone and get a room full of warm smiles:)

Stay Wet,
Matt

As you all will probably notice I go with the tried and true work horses not the most expencive or the fanciest
so I gotta go with Jet fins have tried a few others but somthing was always lacking with each this is only my opinion but the jets are the best all around.

You just can't beat the ol Jetties! Bullet proof fin in every way. US Divers added a quick release buckle to their version of it called the Rocket fin... it would be nice to have those on a Jet fin!

Mario :D

The IDC hasn't been a "gimmie" course for quite some time. A number of years back, it was strictly a training course; a preparation for the IE. It has since evolved into a course with specific, measurable criteria in academics and watermanship, that the IDC Candidate MUST pass, or the Course Director will not issue h/h the necessary permission to attend the IE. People CAN and DO fail the IDC, and thus are not allowed to attend the IE.

And just attending the IE is no guarantee of becoming an Instructor either. You have to pass it as well...

BTW, there is a new IDC being unveiled at DEMA this month. I just hope they made the print on the slates bigger than the last batch. :wink:

Happy New Year! :)

~SubMariner~

I've had the watersmanship requirements recited to me before, don't recall the specifics now, and it is indeed tuff. Didn't mean to say it wasn't, but in your opinion is an instructor candidate that has only completed the minimum of 100 dives needed to enter the IE, ready to teach scuba?

I don't know if you are still reading these LoCz,but I think the "experience" everyone is talking about is more the experience of knowing what problems might arise, and how to deal with them with a level head. Especially with teaching Open Water. I was helping with one class of three people. One girl in particular was a natural diver..bouyancy down pat, flooded and cleared her mask no problem, understood the tables in a minute. The other two were the average open-water divers that I've seen. They still didn't feel completely comfortable, but were getting better.

On the certifying dive, the "natural" diver completely freaked out over something, and bolted towards the surface, from 50 some feet. Which, in turn, freaked out the other two..that were doing just fine looking just looking at the "pretty fish". The instructor just calmly swam up to the panicing girl and calmed her down. (I was "trying" to calm the other two down..but I didn't know what was going on myself) *note...I am NOT a divemaster yet..and this is a good example of why!*

We later found out that she got scared by sand. The way the surge was moving the algae, and the way the light was hitting it, she thought it was a monster. (thats ok...I once thought a submerged palm tree was a giant moray about to attact me!) But, my instructor (who has been diving for 15 years) was as calm as could be handling this...while I went through half a tank trying to figure out what was coming that I didn't see! THAT is experience (in my humble opinion)

Sorry...just wanted to tell my story!

Anyway...back to your original question...I would go with the Jets! (or Rockets...those quick releases are nice!) Some of our instructors use the split fins (they are great...got a pair of Twin Jets for Xmas!) but I have heard complaints that they do not allow the manuverability and instant response that the Jet Fins do. They are hard on the legs (especially the ankles) until you get used to them, but they DO have power and quick speed!

Good luck...and happy bubbles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom