Fin Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Woosh! That went right over my head. First you say that they do not allow the instant responce, and then you say that they have power and quick speed. I have to admit to never diving these myself, but diving with divers whom were using these on numerous occasions... which is it? Are they a glide fin or a torque fin?

Mario :D

I here you on the splitfins. I'm not ready to jump on their bandwagon just yet, but I do intend on trying them very soon. I do a good bit of snorkeling from the beach when we go vacation and I here they aren't very efficent on the surface, so maybe it's a trade off. But if they are as good as claimed downunder, I'll be taking 2 sets of fins with me from then on.:)

(and didn't do a very good job saying it) was, from what I've heard from SOME instructor, is they (split fins) don't have the instant manuverability (guess thats the word I'm looking for) as the Jet fins. Its not as easy to stop on a dime...turn...and chase bolting (or floating) students. With no solid blade to the fin, they lose that "rudder" affect.

But, I must say, this is criticism only from instructors that went from the jets to the twin jets. Maybe its only the case of getting used to new gear, and learning how to work with it. I've only used the jets once...and found out the hard way that my legs (ankles to be precise) are not strong enough yet to use them effectively. (Achilles tendon hurt for 3 days!)

Hope this helps explain what I previously posted. (shhhees Mario, can't slide anything past you! I have a feeling I'm going to learn alot from you...(may end up hating you in the process....just kidding! *grins and winks*)

Hehe, thanks for the clarification... I wasn't trying to bust you or anything, I just wanted to contribute to the thread in a positive manner. Just between me and you, this subject always causes heated discussions.

It's just like if I were to start a thread about my idea of the future of diving... It's bound to ruffle some feather... hehe, sounds like fun. I think I'll do it!

Mario :D

Split Fin buying decision: Atomic vs ScubaPro

All the advertising claims and magazine testing I’ve seen lately say that these split fins are much more efficient (less air consumption, less strenuous) than the best non-split fins. This sounds like an important safety advantage for upcoming diving in the currents of Yap and Palau. I’ve done a little testing (described below) but would like to hear from anyone who has found a clear advantage to either split fin.

Performance: Tested both underwater and surface at a light to moderate pace and felt and timed little difference between these. However, my very old, no-name non-split fins went considerably faster and farther (I’ll take my old fins and one of the split fins for the dive trip to see if there is any measurable differences after extensive diving.)

Atomic Advantages:
definitely easier to use strap adjusters and quick releases
more comfortable foot pocket (and scuba pro pocket is very wide)
narrower in use (rarely hit each other)

ScubaPro (black) Advantages:
perhaps a little smoother and faster
shorter (23” vs 25.5”) and more flexible (easier to pack)
lifetime warranty

Hey check these out,

Went into the dive shop the other day & he was unboxing the new Tusa Split FIn. Look really neat, they have a bend in front of the foot pocket that makes them look kinda wierd, but if you think about it they should be even easier on the legs than the other split fins, Scuba Pro, Atomic or Apollo

Don

Disclaimer: This is not an advertisement, I am in no way compensated for my opinions or views. This is merely an observation of mine.

But aren't they the same fins as the Atomics? Only difference being the Tusa's don't have an opening at the front of the footpocket?

Are the Atomic split fins out in other sizes yet? All we have is Large-XLarge. I know they were supposed to release the medium size soon, but we have yet to get them. I would LOVE to try them (really LOVE their "snap" buckle system) but my foot ain't quite that big!

Saw a pic of the TUSA split fins in their new catalog. They do look almost identical to Atomic fins, except for the price. Don't know what the Atomics are selling for in the mainland, but in Guam they are running about $180.00. Does that sound about right? I personally like TUSA fins...good quality for a good price, so I'm looking forward to seeing their split fins!

The ScubaPro split fins were $189 at two FL shops and the Atomics cost the same. I have examined the Scuba Pro split fins in two models: a stiffer version (black only) and a very flexible version in graphite (gray) and cobalt (a dark blue. The other hands-on (actually feet-in) experience is that the Atomic X-large are too large for my booted size 11-1/2's.

In case some missed the two tests cited in previous threads:

The extensive Rodale's May 2000 test concluded that all the split fins they tested were more efficient than any non-split fin they tested.

However, the divernet Aug 2000 evaluation of ScubaPro Graphite split fins said they were very inefficient (hard to make way and extrememly large air consumption)in a 1/2 knot current compared to regular non-split fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom