Fiji in June...should we bring lots of Cactus Juice for the bugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversmith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We discovered Cactus Juice when we were in Roatan to deal with the noseeums. It worked great so we are wondering if we should take a good supply with us to Fiiji in June (it's available on Amazon.com for pretty cheap). What do the Fiji regulars here on scubaboard recommend? Are the bugs around that time of year? Is Cactus Juice the preferred "remedy"? Or is there another product that you would recommend? I also have a couple of spray cans of Deet product that I plan on taking for spraying the room. Thanks for any insight and help!

Spraying the room with deet is kind of a waste of deet . It only repels the bug from biting , does not harm the actual bug . Raid is the ticket for room spray . Cactus Juice is nice to use and works to a degree , I would not bet on it if Dengue or Malaria is the issue . Deet is the only known deterant . Use a combo of cactus juice and deet on your body , Raid for the room , have fun despite the buggers . coldwater

Spraying the room with deet is kind of a waste of deet . It only repels the bug from biting , does not harm the actual bug . Raid is the ticket for room spray . Cactus Juice is nice to use and works to a degree , I would not bet on it if Dengue or Malaria is the issue . Deet is the only known deterant . Use a combo of cactus juice and deet on your body , Raid for the room , have fun despite the buggers . coldwater

Sorry, I should have been more specific...we are heading to Wananavu. Everything I have read and have been told is there is no Malaria there. I mentioned Deet for the room since we sprayed a liberal amount around the bed in our bungalow at Anthony's Key. The bugs were kinda bad there but once we sprayed the room/bed and got cactus juice slathered on we were good to go.

I guess I will take some raid as well just to have all the bases covered. :D

never got bit when i been to wananavu. maybe a few buzzing at sunset but not a big prob at all. they have spray at the bar and in your bure. bring whatever your comfortable with but not gonna be a major issue. have fun...i'm jealous!

never got bit when i been to wananavu. maybe a few buzzing at sunset but not a big prob at all. they have spray at the bar and in your bure. bring whatever your comfortable with but not gonna be a major issue. have fun...i'm jealous!

thanks Bligh....we can't wait!!!!!!!! It's going to be our first trip away from our son so it's going to be weird and almost bittersweet. Grandma & Grandpa are going to have their hands full taking care of the little bugger but they are looking forward to it just as we are looking forward to a little "our time".

Looks like we will order up some Cactus Juice just to be on the safe side...better to have and not need, right?!

Thanks for the advice given to our question

I have been to Wananavu 2x and have never gotten any bug bites! They do sell a wonderful natural bug spray in their gift shop and for that matter they sell it all over Fiji. They have it at the airport too! Have a wonderful trip! You are in for a treat! Great dive op run by Jeremy and Kristen! Lucky you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom