Fiji Airways carry-on warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For anyone traveling to Fiji, I just noticed this on the Fiji Airways site:

"As part of our Travel Ready Covid-19 safety programme, our Cabin Baggage allowance has been amended. You may carry the allowance stated below, however, your personal item needs to be included in the 1 (in economy), or 2 pieces (in Business), and not in addition to it."

I have no idea if they are enforcing it or if so, for how long it will be in place, but at the moment, it appears one carry on bag only, no additional "personal item" bag.

Several years ago, I went to Fiji from North America. On the final leg, I flew from LAX to Nadi, Fiji (non-stop) on Air New Zealand. If you are flying out of North America (your profile doesn't say where you are), then Air New Zealand might be an option that you might want to look into. They might have different policies.

For anyone traveling to Fiji, I just noticed this on the Fiji Airways site:

"As part of our Travel Ready Covid-19 safety programme, our Cabin Baggage allowance has been amended. You may carry the allowance stated below, however, your personal item needs to be included in the 1 (in economy), or 2 pieces (in Business), and not in addition to it."

I have no idea if they are enforcing it or if so, for how long it will be in place, but at the moment, it appears one carry on bag only, no additional "personal item" bag.
Hey there - have you gone on your trip yet? Curious about the carry on stuff and what your experience may have been - we are leaving for a Fiji trip next week! Seems to be some mixed reviews on how strict the airline is with the carry on bags.

I'm curious about this as well, we got in late April then take a puddle jumper to Taveuni....I already know I'll be paying extra.

Hey there - have you gone on your trip yet? Curious about the carry on stuff and what your experience may have been - we are leaving for a Fiji trip next week! Seems to be some mixed reviews on how strict the airline is with the carry on bags.
I don't travel until later in the year. Sorry I can't help you with this, but would be very interested in hearing your first hand experience about how they are currently handling this, as it will affect how I pack gear.

staggsSevin and jd950 (and anyone else)

We are trying to figure out our packing this weekend. will definitely report back on how it goes… our flight isn’t terribly full so hoping that helps with some leniency… crossing fingers…

FYI: For the flight out of Taveuni (I don't recall it going in) they weigh you and your carry on as well as checked luggage.

Also I tend to wear my backpack up to the ticket and check in counters as my experience was they didn't tend to check it. Not sure whether that was only luck but they didn't mention noticing my backpack straps cutting my arms off for the strain.

FYI: For the flight out of Taveuni (I don't recall it going in) they weigh you and your carry on as well as checked luggage.

Also I tend to wear my backpack up to the ticket and check in counters as my experience was they didn't tend to check it. Not sure whether that was only luck but they didn't mention noticing my backpack straps cutting my arms off for the strain.
Thanks Shasta_man...
I am picking up what you are putting down! HA.. was thinking the same thing... wear unobtrusive backpack and make it "disappear" - ie.. stand directly squarely in front of ticket counter and gate agent - they'll never even notice you have a backpack... regardless of your hands turning blue or not!

I can see the Taveuni flight (twin otter? I believe).. but a 330 passenger Airbus 350-900?? c'mon... 🙄

I'm saying I was weighed with backpack for the flight leaving Taveuni.

Also saying that I have seen Fiji airways be strict on checked baggage weight to the point of requiring we move, while at the check in counter at a major airport, a few possessions from an overweight checked bag to an underweight checked bag so that checked bags were all under the limit. That's not necessarily a revelation as to weight limits but they did come to that.

On top of that I have seen carryon items weighed even for people already sitting in the departure lounge, while I wore my backpack and was not checked multiple times. Was it luck or successful strategy? Not clear but I mention my observation in case others care to include it in their toolbox of methods.

I'll mention that I I'm more than happy to use check luggage, but the stuff in the backpack won't react well 2 rough handling which is not the end of the world on the way back but on the way there would really suck.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I understand that the domestic flights on the smaller planes require weighing passengers and luggage. I would want them to for sure! Just seems like their strict weight policy on a ginormous airplane on a long haul flight seems a bit out of line.

From what I have read on others experience it does seem to be hit or miss on the weighing of carry on baggage for the LAX - NAN flights... seems the best advice like Shasta_man said is to just wear your backpack and try to be nonchalant at the gate. Let the folks with the roller bags and any bulky carry on be the ones they pick for weighing.

We'll know on Wednesday and will share our experience...

Looking forward to getting back in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom