Fiji Airways carry-on warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*bump* Would also like to hear more about this. So far with our booking (leaving in about 10 days), Fiji Airways has been kinda scary to work with. We have an extra seat booked to accomodate a medical condition, and it doesn't come with any additional baggage, etc.

Anyone leave out of SFO to Nadi and have baggage tales to tell?

We just got from Taveuni, my partner booked Melbourne Taveuni, on the one ticket, our checked baggage allowance was 30Kg.
We were weighed with our carry on in Nandi and Taveuni. I suspect that was more about the max takeoff weight of the twin otter.
We were easily under 30kg, even with the 5mm wetsuits, which were overkill

*bump* Would also like to hear more about this. So far with our booking (leaving in about 10 days), Fiji Airways has been kinda scary to work with. We have an extra seat booked to accomodate a medical condition, and it doesn't come with any additional baggage, etc.

Anyone leave out of SFO to Nadi and have baggage tales to tell?
LAX To Nadi and return in June. No connections in Fiji. No carry-on bags were weighed going or returning. Our tickets had one checked bag at 66 pounds and one at 50 pounds included.

Of note, Fiji security can be tough. My wife had travelled all over the world with her favorite manicure scissors in her purse and it was OK until we came to Fiji. But she had to let them go when we flew out to Australia.

LAX to Nadi recently. Checked bag allowance was 1 66 lb bag. Cabin baggage was 1 15 lb bag plus a "personal item" i.e. a smaller bag like backpack. Lots of room in the overhead compartments.

Backpack was not weighed.

Ours said we could pay $105 (FJD?) for a second checked bag of 50 lbs.

Our trip booked with Fiji Airways included a domestic flight (Alaska AIr) to get to LAX. Alaska Air wanted to charge overweight fee as we were over their normal max checked baggage weight (50 lbs), but waived that after we pointed out our ticket had higher max weight limits wihich they could read in our ticket.

Update - on our flight from SFO, I can confirm same thing as above - carryon rolly bag was weighed and they made me shuffle things around to get under 10kg. I also had a medium sized backpack which was not weighed nor questioned.

Thanks to all who have commented so far. Does anyone have recent experience out of SFO regarding whether or not they weigh they carry on? Also, having trouble finding a bag that meets the 62” limit for checked luggage. Did anyone have their checked luggage measured? Thanks!

they aren't super strict as long as it doesn't look you are hauling gold bricks in your carryon. if anything, put heavier stuff in a backpack that would fit under your seat as needed. 62" is pretty standard for roller bags.

We just returned from a 2 week dive trip to Fiji. Fiji Airways did not weigh our carry-on baggage from LAX or departing NAN back to the US. Only our checked baggage was weighed.

Regarding checked bag size, we both used Away Medium Flex baggage, which are well within the required dimensions for Fiji Airways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom