Fiji Airways carry-on warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I'll mention that Fiji is my favorite place to go because of the people. Always friendly and laidback. Wish I was going with ya. Fiji style is a thing. It may not get done on the schedule you wanted but it will get done. On my first trip to Fiji and Taveuni, we checked in for the domestic flight to Taveuni itself giving them our printed itinerary and noticed the agents looking puzzled. They finally came and said we don't have you on this flight. ??!! They found that someone had moved us not just off their flight but to another airline which also flies the same general schedule! That turned into a good move as it was a smaller plane that flew lower so we could look right down into the water and see the reef along the way, and it stopped in Savusavu which was an an extra opportunity for landing on a grass strip. The trip was great for a couple days in Taveuni until a deluge started for 6 out of 9 days. I believe one side of the island gets some of the highest rainfall on Earth.

Understood on the big plane but I imagine it all adds up and they need to draw the line somewhere otherwise people will take advantage of it. Weighing peoples backpacks in the departure lounge seemed a bit much... Besides they can charge for overages and frequently it's not per pound over but a large flat overage fee. Easy money because you're not going to want to throw stuff out at the airport.

Anyway, enjoy the trip, any fee is just another drop in the trip bucket. Big bula and vinaka to them for their beautiful country. Please post a trip report.

Hey Everyone - Its April 10 in Fiji, currently at the Nadi Airport on the way back to the US. Will file a real trip report on the diving etc but for the luggage stuff here ya go:

March 30: Departing LAX - was really super worried about the carry-on thing. Had a backpack that was definitely over the 15 lbs... probably more like 23 - 25lbs. brought a fishing vest in case they weighed the bag and I needed to download stuff to get on the plane.. we arrived at the gate and lo and behold, first of all, everyone and their brother had more the one carry on.. (so guessing the one bag at 15lbs plus personal item combined is out the window at LAX). Some had bags that were definitely larger than a backpack - more roller bag style.. others had backpack, roller bag and a personal item like a purse. So in a nutshell I wouldn't be too worried departing the US. If you are carrying just a backpack and another small bag it appears to be fine... at least at that time from LAX. The plane as one of the flight attendants said was " not a full flight, but a heavy load".... so capacity didn't seem to play into the weighing of the bag thing.

Going to board our flight back to LAX in about an hour... will report in on how things go on this end heading back to the US. Hoping for similar situation...

All in all a great trip to Beqa Lagoon resort...

Cheers
Kim

Thanks for the Info Kim! I'm less than two weeks away from our trip...I know I'll probably get hit for extra fees for luggage between my camera bag (backpack) and my carry on (dive gear) that I typically take....at least for the Taveuni leg of the flight I expect it for sure.

Hey Everyone - Its April 10 in Fiji, currently at the Nadi Airport on the way back to the US. Will file a real trip report on the diving etc but for the luggage stuff here ya go:

March 30: Departing LAX - was really super worried about the carry-on thing. Had a backpack that was definitely over the 15 lbs... probably more like 23 - 25lbs. brought a fishing vest in case they weighed the bag and I needed to download stuff to get on the plane.. we arrived at the gate and lo and behold, first of all, everyone and their brother had more the one carry on.. (so guessing the one bag at 15lbs plus personal item combined is out the window at LAX). Some had bags that were definitely larger than a backpack - more roller bag style.. others had backpack, roller bag and a personal item like a purse. So in a nutshell I wouldn't be too worried departing the US. If you are carrying just a backpack and another small bag it appears to be fine... at least at that time from LAX. The plane as one of the flight attendants said was " not a full flight, but a heavy load".... so capacity didn't seem to play into the weighing of the bag thing.

Going to board our flight back to LAX in about an hour... will report in on how things go on this end heading back to the US. Hoping for similar situation...

All in all a great trip to Beqa Lagoon resort...

Cheers
Kim
Well, that is good. Sorry for my part in worrying you. I am sure I will still be anxious at LAX later this year if I do the usual and have camera and lenses in a shoulder bag and camera housing, flash units and ports in a rolling carry-on. At a minimum I will probably trade out the rolling bag for a small backpack as those seem to attract less attention from the gate staff.

Maybe others will report their experiences so there are more data points. The airlines don't always make this process easy.

Well, that is good. Sorry for my part in worrying you. I am sure I will still be anxious at LAX later this year if I do the usual and have camera and lenses in a shoulder bag and camera housing, flash units and ports in a rolling carry-on. At a minimum I will probably trade out the rolling bag for a small backpack as those seem to attract less attention from the gate staff.

Maybe others will report their experiences so there are more data points. The airlines don't always make this process easy.

Hi @jd950 I'll be sure to let you know because I'm in the same boat. I manage to get MOST of my camera gear in a large thinktank backpack that I always carry on as a "personal" item on airlines. I have it loaded down with the housing, ports, lens, camera, batteries...etc. I do have to pack my float arms in a checked bag typically. But outside of that, I have a small roller bag (few clothes, regs, computers other dive gear) + a bag for my CPAP machine.

I fly out of LAX on the 23rd, I'll be interested to see if I have any issues myself. I do think I'll definitely have to pay out for the NAN -> Taveuni flight.

I'm not sure of the internet situation but I'll be sure to post around May 10th after I get home to let you know how it went.

Hi @jd950 I'll be sure to let you know because I'm in the same boat. I manage to get MOST of my camera gear in a large thinktank backpack that I always carry on as a "personal" item on airlines. I have it loaded down with the housing, ports, lens, camera, batteries...etc. I do have to pack my float arms in a checked bag typically. But outside of that, I have a small roller bag (few clothes, regs, computers other dive gear) + a bag for my CPAP machine.

I fly out of LAX on the 23rd, I'll be interested to see if I have any issues myself. I do think I'll definitely have to pay out for the NAN -> Taveuni flight.

I'm not sure of the internet situation but I'll be sure to post around May 10th after I get home to let you know how it went.
Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly. As I recall, the luggage cost for the taveuni flights was not too bad and of course, pretty much everything has to get loaded as luggage due to the aircraft size. I will look for your report later.

I already commented in another thread that we took a notice and had very small carry-on when we flew Fiji in 2019. However, they did not enforce the rules at all and passengers who often fly Fiji had carry-ons like on any other airline, 22" spinners and more.

I already commented in another thread that we took a notice and had very small carry-on when we flew Fiji in 2019. However, they did not enforce the rules at all and passengers who often fly Fiji had carry-ons like on any other airline, 22" spinners and more.
I also took two carry-on bags on Fiji air in 2019, although they weighed the rolling bag at LAX. Prior to the Covid stuff they allowed a carry-on and personal item like every other airline. I am just trying to figure out what they are doing with their new policy so I can pack camera gear safely. I am probably being a bit paranoid, but would really rather not pack photo stuff in luggage or have it gate checked.

I can confirm that Fiji Air is allowing a personal item (backpack full of camera gear) + carry-on just as @jd950 mentioned for my April 23rd - May 6th trip to Fiji. I had no issues and wasn't even charged extra for my jump to Taveuni, which I had expected.

Getting ready to fly to Fiji tomorrow. LAX to NAN. Then a week later Suva to Taveuni. Then 5 days later Taveuni to NAN and NAN to LAX. Without having flown, I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Fiji Airways. Was looking at an additional prepaid bag, but it's unclear from the website whether that additional prepaid bag is only for the first leg on the ticket or for the itinerary. Have tried calling twice but have given up after 30 minutes on hold.

My checked bag is at about 60 lbs so should be okay.
My carryon is a backpack that is currently weighing in at about 17lbs (a couple pounds over the weight limit). Has my reg, camera housing, laptop, etc.
Will be wearing a vest that has the remainder of my camera gear that I don't want to check. About 10lbs there

Would happily pay what the website is showing for an additional bag if that's the charge for the whole trip, but don't want to pay 4x that amount. [Edit - that charge was indeed only for the first leg of the trip. Extra bag isn't available for the other legs]

So far, I'm not impressed with Fiji Airways. Crazy how not diver-friendly they are. Will update with my experience.

Back
Top Bottom