Fiesta Americana vs Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidestep.com quotes 4 different airlines: YOW to Cancun @ $309-316 including taxes for the dates I have been using, probly good for any days other than weekends, arriving CUN as early as 12:30pm with 6-1/2 hours travel time. I have paid much more from Lubbock. You do better than that, or don't want to go thru CUN? Or did you not know that fars are down...??

I don't know why you're going out of Syracuse, but Delta will fly your round trip for $283 including taxes, less than 6 hours travel, arrive CUN before noon.

richhagelin:
I've stayed at FA a few times so am familiar with it. I can get a little better deal on Hotel Cozumel (through funjet.com).

Sorry to get this thread back on topic... Rich, We're bit of FA loyalists but are always tempted with the better deals we see for Hotel Cozumel. Haven't ever been so I can't give any advice on it specifically. But would suggest that if you're happy and comfortable at FA and have connected with some of the employees there than it might not be worth the savings to venture elsewhere to not have the expectations you've gotten from FA met at HC. YMMV

What's the beach diving and snorkeling like at HC and/or FA? Obviously it won't compare to the offshore sites but it would be a nice diversion for the kids and easy night dives etc.

Also, I've read some complaints about loud noise from the pools and bars at HC. Is that less of an issue these days?

Cheers,

Jon

What's the beach diving and snorkeling like at HC and/or FA? Obviously it won't compare to the offshore sites but it would be a nice diversion for the kids and easy night dives etc.

Also, I've read some complaints about loud noise from the pools and bars at HC. Is that less of an issue these days?

Cheers,

Jon

I was at Hotel Cozumel in March and had no issues with pool/bar noise whatsoever. By 9 PM, there were only a few people hanging out at the bar (myself included) and we all kept our voices down. I'd go to sleep around ten and couldn't tell that anyone was at the bar. I think the noise level all depends on the groups that are there at the time; we had a good group and everyone else who was there was low-key as well.

I thought that the beach was nice and had easy access for swimming and night dives. It's small, but there are beach chairs with shade, bathrooms, and a restaurant/bar right at the beach. There's a walkway that goes under the street between the hotel and the beach, so it's safer for kids the dodging cars.

When I was in Cozumel this past April I stayed at Occidental but had a friend who was staying at FA. I dropped by to checked it out and it wasn't bad. Definitely not up to par with Occidental but the hotel itself was okay. As for shore stuff, there wasn't anything interesting as they didn't have much of a shore.

I was at Hotel Cozumel in March and had no issues with pool/bar noise whatsoever. By 9 PM, there were only a few people hanging out at the bar (myself included) and we all kept our voices down. I'd go to sleep around ten and couldn't tell that anyone was at the bar. I think the noise level all depends on the groups that are there at the time; we had a good group and everyone else who was there was low-key as well.

I thought that the beach was nice and had easy access for swimming and night dives. It's small, but there are beach chairs with shade, bathrooms, and a restaurant/bar right at the beach. There's a walkway that goes under the street between the hotel and the beach, so it's safer for kids the dodging cars.

We were also there in March and had the same experience. Our room overlooked the pool and we had no noise problems. Yes the entertainment people can get a bit worked up on the microphone volume but that is early in the evening. We were there for 8 days and never considered asking for a room away from the pool...it just wasn't a problem and the Marine in me will wake up for pretty much any noise.

Have stayed at both. Enjoyed FA more, the food was better, the pools, ect better. HC, close to town is good, pool good. I would say it boils down to what you are gonna do at night....play in town, then HC. Stay with family, then FA definately.

We have stayed at both many times.They are pretty much the same to me ,but if you like going to town HC is probably better location,I also found FA rooms to be warmer during the heat of the day even with A/C cranked up.I personally like HC the best.We use Dive with Martin small fast boats so the closeness to the reefs is a non issue.The HC pool area also seems to be a lot more comfortable than FA during the HOT season :)I also feel the staff at HC is a little better and friendlier YMMV.

I like the hotel cozumel, mainly for is location. It is a decent hotel with a nice pool and plenty of activities for non divers. The weight room is not fully enclosed so no ac. I would never do an all inclusive deal here they have one type of beer served in plastic glasses, to quote some people I overheard the food is horrible here this year it is the same thing over and over. We haven't eaten at the resort yet and don't plan on it. there is to much good food out in town.

As to proximity to the reefs we went to Colombia yesterday on the Aquarama which is a mid size slow boat and it took about an hour we got back around 4 in the afternoon. But I don't see that as a problem I relaxed, talked with the other divers, dms ate some fruit, chips and guacamole, reviewed pictures from the dive. The FA is definitely closer to the reefs but the $14 each way cab fare to town would get old real fast. Having to rent a car is not what I want to do either.

Of course we will probably rent a condo next time Sergio was showing us some yesterday and they are almost paying you to stay there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom