Fiesta Americana vs Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I've stayed at FA a few times so am familiar with it. I can get a little better deal on Hotel Cozumel (through funjet.com). I would appreciate it if I could get a comparison between the two. Am traveling with 2 of my single adult children (29 and 32) so would appreicate a comparison of the "night life" also.

Quality of pools, quality of AI food/drinks, quality of beach would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Hagelin

Hi Rich,
We have stayed at Hotel Cozumel, which as you probably know is close to downtown. The dive op was Dive Paradise and they were knowlegeable, safe, and fun. We did 3 dives a day and really liked them. We are also considering on our return trip to Cozumel going to Fiesta Americana,
because of their location, further from town. The hotel is across the street from the man made small beach, with a restaurant and a second small pool, and the dive shop. There is a short tunnel under the street to get you from your room to those areas. The food was good, plenty to choose from, breakfast had omlets made to order, variety breakfast meats, eggs, pastries, just about anything you could ask for. Lunch was buffet, great for getting you back in the water faster and was good, I stuck to fish, which was good. Dinner was served to you with choices from a menu, if you like salsa for your fish, ask. The staff at the time was very accommodating. The bars, 3 of them all you can drink, were friendly and made great drinks. Ask for a Dirty Monkey, if you like frozen drinks, like a milk shake. The food was plentiful, a snack bar is located on the hotel side by the big pool. Night life, I guess you could easily go to town, close enough, but they do shows at the hotel, which with the drinks you already paid can be fun. The staff tries hard in all areas, front desk, bartenders, waitstaff. A small tip goes a long way. We just stayed at the hotel, no reason for us to go anywhere else, we had all we needed.

HC is a nice location to town but depends on which dives sites you prefer to frequent. I prefer the southern dive sites so with that and the fact that FA is a nice resort I would go with FA. Nice to have short boat rides to and from our favorite dive sites. 60 peso taxi ride to town is not bad.

Rich, we have stayed at both and in fact just got back from HC Monday night. As far as the rooms, I feel they are about equal - both clean, right size, both have balconies with hooks for dive gear. I did like the location of HC better because it is closer to town and wife and I walked to and from every night. Most dive ops will pick you up at either hotel. We actually used Del Mar Aquatics and they picked us up without issue. As far as food, I can only comment on breakfast - at HC it was included in the price with made to order omelletes, fruits, breads, some hots (or warms as they were most days, but overall it was okay. We would probably stay at either one again, but my favorite is still Casa Del Mar. Hope this helps, feel free to pm me if you have any other specific questions. Rob

I've stayed at FA a few times so am familiar with it. I can get a little better deal on Hotel Cozumel (through funjet.com). I would appreciate it if I could get a comparison between the two. Am traveling with 2 of my single adult children (29 and 32) so would appreicate a comparison of the "night life" also.

Quality of pools, quality of AI food/drinks, quality of beach would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Hagelin

Hello Rich!

What do think of FA? I've looked at that place but heard from a few people (non-divers) that it wasn't great. Their complaints seem to be centered around worn, broken, and not too tide furnishings.

Thanks!
Gus

We were just at FA in Jan. Everone in our group thought the rooms were nice. I heard that they remodeled, but haven't stayed there in the past to compare. We did not stay at HC, we did go in and check it out. I thought it was very nice. If you want to be in town, HC is the easy choice. We liked the location of FA much better (less traffic, closer to dive sites), but we rented a car for the week, which allowed us to go into town whenever we desired. For what it is worth, we are going back in MAY and will be staying at FA. Hope this helps. Goodluck

I really enjoy the Blue Angel hotel and dive op both, and like the improvements and changes even with the price increases, but am considering these two hotels. Sidestep.com does an excellent job of searching a dozen different booking sites with a wide variety of prices for 2 guys, 2 beds, Aug 18-23, with the lowest be FA @ $53 thru Skoosh.com, and HC @ $54 thru Venere.com - neither site familar to me, and I don't particularly like using booking sites. In attempting to find the same prices direct with the hotels, HC fails, but FA does offer $56 at least, $62 with breakfasts.

In attempting to get more info from the hotels, I run into problems with their sites. One of them had an Instant Message service that was terribly slow, the other an email service that failed. I wish these sites would focus more on information & prices of services and less on selling thru confused bedazzlement. They both have call centers with very limited info available.

I really would like to compare prices with breakfasts, with AI, with dive packages of 2/day and 3 day. They don't make it easy.

It looks like maybe (987) 872 90 20 is the direct dial number to HC? The FA IM-agent is arguing over giving me the number; mostly I am being ignored. Finally! "In this case, allow me to suggest you to contact our Concierge Manager at Fiesta Americana Cozumel Dive Resort, who will kindly help you with your request. His email is: conciergefacr@posadas.com and his phone number is: +52 987 8729600."

I'm unable to say anything important about the FA because I haven't stayed there. I have stayed at Hotel Coz 4 times and think that is a great hotel for the price, but I also don't think it's perfect. I really like the location, most of the staff now knows me, and I know them. I think I have been very objective in their reviews which may hopefully help but it's your decision.
Most recent
2 weeks, 2 resorts, my thoughts & comments. - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor
previous based on the first 2 trips and still OK after my 3 stay.
Fully met my expectations again., our second visit. - Review of Hotel Cozumel, Cozumel, Mexico - TripAdvisor
and my photo album of what it looks like.
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Hotel Cozumel...

Last edited:
Great pic album, and thanks for the opinions. I got a little better rate at my usual hotel so I am sticking with them, but I think we will do tours of the hotels next time. I ran into some interesting shopping challenges with third party sites on the hotels; story here: Beware Skoosh.com and Venere.com...!

Thanks. I wish it was easier to book air only from here so I could try out some of the places that look interesting such as Caribe Blu, but for the last few years I get air plus hotel for less than air only. There just isn't an economical way to get to Coz from here that makes sense relative to the amount of time it would take using a flight out of Syracuse. Every time I check flights from there it's just about a full day wasted coming & another going, so I get 5 days vacation in a 7 day trip.

Back
Top Bottom