Ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sent an e-mail to several old freinds that lived on the island when I did (back in the 90's-2000's), asking if they'd heard about this, and included a link to this thread (for the pics,videos, and solid commentary).
I just got a response from one of them, that had in turn sent it to someone we know on the island, and he responded back to her, with the following:
"THE EX-GOVERNOR OF QUINTANA ROO WENT TO PRISON FOR WORKING WITH THE DRUG LORDS.
THE GOV. WENT TO PRISON AND WILL NOT GET OUT FOR 20 YEARS.
THE DRUG LORD WANTS HIS MONEY BACK. HE KNOWS THAT HIS FATHER HAS OVER
1,000,000 AND WANTS HIS MONEY BACK.
THE FERRY BELONGED TO THE FATHER THAT WAS WAS BLOWN UP BY THE DRUG LORD.
THAT WAS A WARNING TO THE FATHER TO GIVE BACK THE MONEY."

I can't confirm or deny any of that, just passing it on.

Has there been solid news on how many injured and if anyone was killed?

Plus the father of Borge was on this particular boat.

Hmm. That is very interesting indeed.

Reportedly, since there were American citizens aboard, the Mexican government has invited the FBI to help investigate.

That's also very interesting. I do not have the sense that Mexican authorities do this routinely. It seems plausible that US investigators might approach this differently.

This one is about Mexican politics, which I think is ok and germane.

Absolutely. Some of us, though, are explicitly prohibited from participating in any political activity in Mexico. Whether or not online discussions count, I'm definitely only participating in whatever parts are definitely not political. Definitely.

#definitelyforsurereallynotpoliticalatall

Has anyone reported seeing divers in the water searching for debris?

Anyone know if the moved boat is in Barcos possession or Mexican Navy's?

Hey, don’t light up after eating at Taco Village!

I don't have any idea what that means but I would like to correct one item. The former governor is in prison for stealing and selling state and private lands (hundreds of acres) and of course stealing state money. There is NO official charge of working with the Narco guys.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom