Ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They leave blanket with cartridges, charger and a grenade

COZUMEL, February 27.- As a new way of demonstrating disagreement against the government of Perla Tun Pech, the placement of a blanket was placed at the foot of which were placed old useful cartridges, a rifle charger R-15, and a grenade.
In the course of the dawn, the authorities of the three levels of government of the island of Cozumel were alerted, of a blanket placed in the cyclonic mesh of the church San José del Mar, on the 40th with 29 South of the San Miguel colony II.
Members of the Secretariat of the Armed Navy of Mexico, the Military Garrison, the General State Prosecutor's Office (FGE), the Attorney General's Office (PGR), and municipal police arrived, finding in the place a nearly-subway blanket and half of each side, tied with misspelled letters, pronouncing the name of the mayor of the municipality of Cozumel, Perla Tun Pech.
To one side was found a grenade that was secured by elements of the Army that finally moved it by personnel assigned to the war materials section for its destruction in the military field of the island municipality.
Other artifacts that appeared were about 18 old useful cartridges, of different calibers placed in mound and next to these a magazine for rifle R-15, with eight cartridges in its interior.
Everything was handled with utmost secrecy among the first respondents of the Municipal Police that almost at 8 in the morning, put at the disposal of the PGR the blanket, the cartridges and the supplied charger, raising the corresponding report for the proceedings that take place.

Consider the source!

There is NOTHING confirmed from any reliable source of this rumor. Don't get me wrong, It is definitely nothing to take lightly, and we are very lucky no one was seriously hurt or killed.

The local rumor is that this was a message from the "Investors" to Borge - although it may or may not be narco terrorist related, it's still not something I would consider an ongoing threat - or something that will repeat itself. Very difficult to articulate. Although troubling, it's not something I am afraid of becoming a frequent occurrence.

And still, the island is no less dangerous than ANYWHERE in the United States or Europe for that matter. There are random tourist attacks, random gang violence, high murder rates, and weekly school shootings there.

Last edited:
Very troubling news. This confirms my first impression of terrorism after viewing the explosion videos.The island and their tourism economy is now directly threatened. I will be traveling to Cozumel in 20 days to dive with Aldora. This may be my last trip to Mexico, unless or until this situation is dealt with.
If I saw a Breitbart article that said the sky was blue, I'd go outside just to confirm. . .

With my standard disclaimer...I'm posting this because it appeared on a Facebook group I follow. I'm not saying it's true, not true, partially true.... it's a media report...on the internet. Take it for what it's worth.

NARCO MESSAGE CLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY FOR EXPLOSION ABOARD FERRY.

The Diario de Yucatan is reporting the message - written on a tarp - was foundearly this morning after police on Cozumel received a call at 4am today saying that three armed men were attaching something to a church fence.
The Diario reports that the message threatens
Perla Tun Pech, the mayor of the island and says:
"The assault on the boat was us and we will do the same to your house."
Federal authorities are now in possession of the message. Last Wednesday, 24 people were injured in an explosion on a Barcos Caribe ferry just after it docked in Playa del Carmen.
Police have still not said what caused the blast but have not ruled out "external factors".
Please see initial report on Wednesday and subsequent updates by the Bulletin.

Safe travels,
Jay

Yeh - this is a big chisme - there are so many things that show his was just a scare tactic for Perla from a group against her - but "technique" and other signs are that this was not actually narcos - but an attempt to make it look like narcos - but very poor copycatting technique

They leave blanket with cartridges, charger and a grenade

COZUMEL, February 27.- As a new way of demonstrating disagreement against the government of Perla Tun Pech, the placement of a blanket was placed at the foot of which were placed old useful cartridges, a rifle charger R-15, and a grenade.
In the course of the dawn, the authorities of the three levels of government of the island of Cozumel were alerted, of a blanket placed in the cyclonic mesh of the church San José del Mar, on the 40th with 29 South of the San Miguel colony II.
Members of the Secretariat of the Armed Navy of Mexico, the Military Garrison, the General State Prosecutor's Office (FGE), the Attorney General's Office (PGR), and municipal police arrived, finding in the place a nearly-subway blanket and half of each side, tied with misspelled letters, pronouncing the name of the mayor of the municipality of Cozumel, Perla Tun Pech.
To one side was found a grenade that was secured by elements of the Army that finally moved it by personnel assigned to the war materials section for its destruction in the military field of the island municipality.
Other artifacts that appeared were about 18 old useful cartridges, of different calibers placed in mound and next to these a magazine for rifle R-15, with eight cartridges in its interior.
Everything was handled with utmost secrecy among the first respondents of the Municipal Police that almost at 8 in the morning, put at the disposal of the PGR the blanket, the cartridges and the supplied charger, raising the corresponding report for the proceedings that take place.

Again - consider the source

And still, the island is no less dangerous than ANYWHERE in the United States or Europe for that matter. There are random tourist attacks, random gang violence, high murder rates, and weekly school shootings there.
That may be the case today but still one has to be concerned at the start or spread. Just look at what happened to Acapulco. Heartbreaking

@Christi Has it been confirmed that there was a grenade, and was it "live?" Also, by "R-15" did they actually mean "AR-15?" That seems odd considering that the fully automatic Russian AK rifles appear to be more popular in Mexico than the semi-automatic AR-15. For that matter has it been confirmed that the blanket/banner was actually on Cozumel?

Just for the record we had to postpone our trip on March 6 but it has nothing to do with the recent events in PDC and Cozumel. We will, however, continue to take the other two ferries and avoid Barcos Caribe :wink:

Has any of this affected the cruise ships? Are there still four or five parked out there?

Strikes me that had this been a message from a criminal group to the public it would have been announces immediately. A message to the ferry company would not have needed to be announced publicly.

Back
Top Bottom