Female help in selecting equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcasey

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying equipment for myself and my wife. I am leaning towards the Mares Dragonfly Airtrim ($480) for myself and was thinking of getting her the same ($480). The quote that I received says Men's small for her. Should I consider this accurate or should I be looking for a women's s,m,l type of size. Also, any female opnions on the airtrim or other BCD's appreciated.

Also, she doesn't need a sophisticated computer/console from our discussions together. Therefore, I am considering getting her a Genesis 2 gauge console 200' ($80). Is that too basic? Her safely is more important than finding the most affordable basic console. Especially when I am getting myself an Aeris computer console.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

my wife would probably say a Seaquest Diva would turn her crank.

A suggestion: if the two of you are going to be diving together, she needs her own computer, you cnt BOTH dive off one computer, and your dives will be limited by her diving straight tables.

Good point on the dive computer. No offence to her and she knows it but she can barely work the remotes at home. Do you think an entry level computer would work?

It certainly would. Do you plan on diving Nitrox? If so that would be a consideration as well. You mentioned that you are looking at an Aeris computer, I was at a training session for Aeris last night (the shop I teach for is bringing that line in) last night. They have some nice entry level models that are very intuitive. In addition all of thier computers functions work the same (2 button approach) so it would be easy for you to help her until she gets the hang of it. You would both be running the same alogrithm, and they have decent price points. Just some things to ponder :)

Another good suggestion, thanks.

We are eager novices that want to make the right purchase. I will look into those Aeris's. How about the BCD. We are going to be purchasing that first and I don't want to screw up. :bonk: Will the Mares Dragonfly Airtrim be OK for her, or should I look for something that is designed with the female in mind like the Diva?

As far as Nitrox, not in the near future, but yes eventually.

I cant help on the BC's. I am more of a "tech" than recreational diver. I haven't owned a BC in almost 10 years, I use a backplate/harness. If you plan to dive Nitrox (and it IS the way to go, both for safety as well as extending your bottom times) go ahead and look at the Nitrox xomputers, otherwise you will just want to upgrade after you take a Nitrox class.

Oh- another suggestion on the BC question- does the shop have either model in rental? Ask- they should be happy to let you try them in the pool even if they dont have them in rental.

I don't know about the BC, I have a pioneer wing and SS Backplate that I really enjoy,I found Jaket BC's were uncomfortable and didn't fit as well. As for the computer question, my husband has a Suunto Vyper and I use the Uwatec bottom timer, I prefer it to the computer because it shows your depth, max depth and times the dive for you, since we don't dive anything extreme this is just right for me, it is especially helpful upon ascent as it lets me monitor my ascent rate clearly, and I don' t have to fiddle with a hose to see my guage, the wrist mount is great. My husband even prefers it to his computer sometimes as the display is much easier to read. Sorry about the rant, but I just finished using it on a bunch of dives and am a bit excited. :clapping:

I would say that the only way she'd know which BC fits her best is for her to try on different ones (preferably in the water). BC's are so much about fit and personal preference.

I dive with a Seaquest Diva LX and absolutely love it. But it all depends on how the Good Lord put you together <grin>.

I also second everything that was said about her getting her own computer. Most aren't complicated to use. With a little practice above water, she shouldn't have any problems at all.

Peace,
Cathie

Back
Top Bottom