Feature Request: Set Peregrine Altitude to Adjust NDLs for Post-Dive Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I see the altitude setting on my Peregrine is permanently set to Auto. On several occasions I've needed to drive over a pass or go to a higher altitude after a dive. Were I using tables, I would simply plan the dives as if I was already at the altitude. Similarly, I would like the ability to override the Peregrine Auto Altitude setting to set the dive altitude for the planned travel. The effect would be a change in NDLs, dive ascent rates, and perhaps safety stop length based on the specified altitude.

Obviously there may be other considerations such as how the model handles attitude, ascent rates while driving, and recent previous non-altitude dives, so the feature may need to be more nuanced than I describe here.

Hi, good question. I checked the Peregrine owner's manual about altitude and there is no information about how the Peregrine handles diving at altitude : deeper/longer safety/deco stop depth, ascent rate warnings, ... I believe you need to ask Shearwater directly ... and inform us 🙂

g2:
On several occasions I've needed to drive over a pass or go to a higher altitude after a dive. Were I using tables, I would simply plan the dives as if I was already at the altitude.
Diving within the altitude-based NDL while at a lower altitude does not mean you can immediately ascend to that altitude.

Diving within the altitude-based NDL while at a lower altitude does not mean you can immediately ascend to that altitude.
Interesting thought. Can you provide the logic behind that, or a reference (e.g., DAN article)?

If we assume that the altitude-adjusted NDL should keep us safe when ascending from a dive while at altitude, how is that different from surfacing at a lower altitude and then slowly ascending to a higher altitude?

g2:
If we assume that the altitude-adjusted NDL should keep us safe when ascending from a dive while at altitude, how is that different from surfacing at a lower altitude and then slowly ascending to a higher altitude?
Research shows that we form bubbles after surfacing from an NDL dive (even one shorter than the NDL time), but they do not seem to be an issue when staying at that depth. (Drs. Mitchell and Doolette, among others, have reported on this; sorry I don't have a specific reference on-hand. Google should point you toward some videos of their conference briefings.) The problem arises when you ascend to a higher altitude after those bubbles have formed.

Admittedly, I'm filling in the gaps in your explanation (and thus could have misunderstood), but my understanding is that you want to use the NDL time at the altitude-equivalent depth. Then you feel you can immediately ascend to that altitude after the dive. After all, if you did the dive at that altitude, you'd get out of the water without issue, right? Unfortunately, those are two very different scenarios: subclinical bubbles (at altitude) vs subclinical bubbles followed by an ascent.

As an example, below is what that might look like, and you'll see it violates the NOAA/NAVY ascent to altitude tables. (These are the best source of ascent information/timelines that I know of. Certainly more precise than the rather vague DAN guidance of > 12 hrs for a single dive.)

Example: diving at sea level to 60 ft, then crossing a 4000 ft pass. I believe you're trying to plan with the altitude-equivalent depth (70 ft), which has an NDL time of 48 mins. After a 60 ft/48 minute dive at sea level, you are at Navy pressure group I. The Ascent Table for 4000 ft elevation gain from Group I requires nearly 3 hours. You're definitely not able to go right away, which was the point of my initial response. (My apologies if I've misunderstood your intended approach. Please elaborate if so!)

Reactions: g2
<deleted, second guessing myself about an alternate way to look at things>

i would doubt that you’ll ever get Shearwater (or any computer maker) to include guidance on altitude after diving. It’s not well enough understood to model effectively.

If you want something more aggressive than DAN’s 12/24/48 rule (and you dive NDL on air) then your best bet is to:
1) convert each dive to a square profile using your max depth and time; 2) calculate your repetitive dives via NOAA tables; and 3) refer to NOAA altitude after diving tables to estimate required wait time before going to altitude.

if you aren’t fit, consider being more conservative; although the conversion to square dive profiles adds some conservatism inherently.

i would doubt that you’ll ever get Shearwater (or any computer maker) to include guidance on altitude after diving. It’s not well enough understood to model effectively.
As someone who has had to deal with the issue of ascending to altitude after diving frequently, I contacted Shearwater about features they could add to assist with this. The reply was a pretty terse comment that I should refer to the standard flying after diving guidelines.

Was reading through the manual of my new (as yet unused) dive computer. Saw this as a setting.

Waiting time
Besides the no fly time, that indicates how long you should not fly after diving, the OSTC can also indicate the time you should wait to do an ascent up to 1000, 2000 or 3000 meters after diving.
For the no fly time, a cabin pressure of 0.6 bar is used; the current ambient pressure is continuously included in the calculation. Setting range: Flying, 1000 m, 2000 m, 3000 m
Default: Flying
Ah! News to me! Great news, in fact.

Back
Top Bottom