Feature Request - Shearwater Phone App for Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your diving is much more complicated than mine. I can see where a shortcut to configuration might be appreciated.

Different strokes for different folks. That is one of the nice things about Shearwater computers, yes it is a technical diving computer, but the user interface is so well designed and simple that it works for all levels of diving.

As someone who works with software and user interfaces, I'm one for simple is best.

That is the thing, this isn't asking for any changes or even new features on the computer itself. Just the ability to flash over things rather than having to spend a few minutes clicking the buttons and diving into the menus. You forget to do that before a dive, not a huge deal you just have to spend the few minutes changing the gases or settings you want to change.

Different strokes for different folks. That is one of the nice things about Shearwater computers, yes it is a technical diving computer, but the user interface is so well designed and simple that it works for all levels of diving.

That is the thing, this isn't asking for any changes or even new features on the computer itself. Just the ability to flash over things rather than having to spend a few minutes clicking the buttons and diving into the menus. You forget to do that before a dive, not a huge deal you just have to spend the few minutes changing the gases or settings you want to change.
I believe in the grand scheme of things the app would make the SW line of computers all that much more accessible to the average Joe. I have shown my Perdix to at least a dozen newer divers in the last few months... and it's pretty much a resounding "yeah, I don't need all that" as soon as I start trying to show them anything. And maybe they don't, but they're saying they don't because it looks too complex. At least it does at 1st glance... I agree it's a very easy dc to use, but it is overwhelming and it does take a minute. I think the app would simplify things a lot.... that and everyone has their damn phone in their hand anyways:D

They can keep on using their crappy black on gray display, one button computer.

I believe in the grand scheme of things the app would make the SW line of computers all that much more accessible to the average Joe. I have shown my Perdix to at least a dozen newer divers in the last few months... and it's pretty much a resounding "yeah, I don't need all that" as soon as I start trying to show them anything. And maybe they don't, but they're saying they don't because it looks too complex. At least it does at 1st glance... I agree it's a very easy dc to use, but it is overwhelming and it does take a minute. I think the app would simplify things a lot.... that and everyone has their damn phone in their hand anyways:D

Most of these kind of divers have no clue what the heck their computer is telling them. I see them on every charter. The only reason they’ve not bent themselves is because most are diving pretty conservatively due to boat rules. So many divers are absolutely clueless about how to use either their rental computer or even computers they own, and the worst part is THEY DON’T CARE TO LEARN.

I don't care either way. I use a flip phone I got from @rob.mwpropane for cheap, so a smartphone menu wouldn't do me any good anyway! :wink::rofl3:

In all seriousness, it would be a nice addition, but I still wouldn't trade my Perdix for anything else right now.

They can keep on using their crappy black on gray display, one button computer.

Most of these kind of divers have no clue what the heck their computer is telling them. I see them on every charter. The only reason they’ve not bent themselves is because most are diving pretty conservatively due to boat rules. So many divers are absolutely clueless about how to use either their rental computer or even computers they own, and the worst part is THEY DON’T CARE TO LEARN.

I agree with both of you, but I feel like we're all a little biased on SB..... I mean, how many of "those people" spend their free time talking about diving? On an internet forum?.... at nasium?? Probably not many. It's scary but "those people" make up the bulk of divers.

If I placed an Excursion and a Perdix down on the table in front of my kids without them knowing anything about nothing, they would pick up on the Excursion faster because of the app. To me that says it all right there. I feel like the reason some people don't want to learn about their computer is because it's daunting at first and mildly frustrating to be limited to 2 buttons on top of learning everything else.

I don't care either way. I use a flip phone I got from @rob.mwpropane for cheap, so a smartphone menu wouldn't do me any good anyway! :wink::rofl3:

In all seriousness, it would be a nice addition, but I still wouldn't trade my Perdix for anything else right now.
It was my grandfathers, thought you could use it! (Now you can tell Kim you got a little burned with an "old" joke):rofl3:

I wouldn't trade mine either, I think it's a Cadillac of dc's, but if I can dream I want to dream BIG!!

You'd have to power up the computer to do it anyway wouldn't you, may as well just set the gasses while you're at it?

You'd have to power up the computer to do it anyway wouldn't you, may as well just set the gasses while you're at it?
If you prefer it that way. Just think of the app as another tool in the box. Maybe you never use it, maybe you don't like it, but I would bet the majority of people would.

I'll have to make a video of the Excursion and show people how easy it is.

I'm on four repairs and a replacement on one; and four repairs and three replacements on another. And the one with only one replacement is having the unusual battery drain (about 18-20% more than the other). Richard calls me the Teric killer. Though I think that is more due to having two that were purchased separately so they are on different points of the wear cycle.

But I agree for gases I can do that by hand. I am typically just moving the oxygen up or down by a percentage point for my back gas and deco gas. But it would be nice to just be able to load profiles, so all I have to do is set the exact gases. So have a nitrox tech which loads 32% and 99%. A T1 profile that loads 18/45, 50%, and 99%. And any other profiles based on the type of diving you do. TBH I think this would be more of a tech thing, and really for people that jump between trimix and nitrox routinely. I rarely do trimix so I honestly wouldn't have much use beyond just flashing the settings.
But wouldn’t you still need to double check that the settings actually transferred from the phone app to the dive computer fully/correctly? I’d never assume the transfer went perfectly for info that could affect my safety - so I’d rather enter it directly on the device so it’s entered and confirmed at the same time.

But… to each their own and I would have no problem with it being an available option as long as it does not distract SW from more important work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom