Fearless diver gives 8-lb lobster the finger...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loose_cannon

Reaction score
Our second day of sport season aboard “The Impaler” started out normal enough. The first drops produced a few bugs, but most were full of eggs. I surfaced with an empty bag despite having nabbed six lobsters and sending them back under the ledge. On second drop Rich was a little slow dropping because he jumped in without his gloves. Ken threw him his pair of gloves and down Rich went. Thirty minutes later, Rich was on the surface and we motored over to pick him up. As he handed his gear up he said something that sounded like, “the *****er bit me.” We were all a little puzzled, but were quickly distracted when Rich threw a bag containing a monster, 8-lb lobster on the deck.

When Rich got on board he pulled his gloves off and revealed a pinky finger sans one side all the way back to the base of the fingernail. Ken, found a lump in the finger of one of his gloves and there was Rich’s fingertip. First-aid was rendered by those on the crew who could handle the site without getting freaked out. Rich opted not to do any more dives, but he’s hardcore and didn’t even consider heading for the beach.

Evidently, it was an epic undersea battle with this bug. Rich found it up under a ledge in 90’ and was pulling on it with both hands. The bug wasn’t going to come away without a fight, and when Rich stuck his finger too close to the business end of that thing’s choppers the game was on. He said it had him so tight that he had to rip his finger out of its mouth. Once out of the ledge the bug was so big Rich had to break its legs off to fit it in the lobster hotel.

068498.JPG

Here is the first day’s haul.

068500.JPG

Day two’s take.

068503.JPG

Rich and his foe.

068499.JPG

Rich with the end of his finger right before he threw it overboard.

068527.JPG

Rich taunting his vanquished enemy...

I always wondered how much power were in those claws. I just don't understand how you can have a big smile with part of your finger missing. That had to hurt like Heck

Holy crap.

He is way too happy about his missing body parts.

Ouch! and man thems some big bugs!

gtcpl2:
I always wondered how much power were in those claws. I just don't understand how you can have a big smile with part of your finger missing. That had to hurt like Heck

What claws? I think it bit his finger off.

“the *****er bit me.”

The bug wasn’t going to come away without a fight, and when Rich stuck his finger too close to the business end of that thing’s choppers the game was on. He said it had him so tight that he had to rip his finger out of its mouth.
I guess they can :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom