Favorite Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm arriving Tuesday and will be starving for lunch. Staying about a block from Del Sur, so I guess I know where to go! Thanks so much for the great write ups, keep them coming! Really appreciate the info from the "regulars", as I've just recently discovered the joy of Cozumel.

Yay! That worked! OK, onto the next one. Last night I went for supper with two fellow Living Underwater divers who live at El Cantil. Initially we planned to go to a place down the street from my house that is a local cantina but in the end, we went to a relatively new place in town on the corner of Ave 5 and Calle 3. It used to be a clothing store and either before or after (I think after) was a real estate agency office (Coldwell Banker??). In any event, it is called Del Sur and advertises its specialty as empanadas. Well, it has those in abundance, including dessert empanadas. We ordered a variety of them (not the dessert ones) which were served with a delicious chimichurri sauce (homemade). I opted for simple: one with onion and cheese and one with tomato, basil and cheese. The dough was delicious. I had grilled veal sweetbreads for my main course (and will be eating leftovers for the next several days) at a very reasonable 70 pesos. My friends had the mixed grill and they also will be eating leftovers forever. My only gripe is that they have not yet received their liquor license. I made do with two glasses of very good lemonade but a nice red wine would have gone well with this! That can be easily rectified with time. Some may remember that this shop used to be down on 5th N (across from Camilo's) but they have been in their new location about 3 months. The menu has expanded considerably (they have added a grill) and so has the space. Good food, simply prepared. Great location.

Well, it's a lot of things. It's served on a sectioned platter with different things in every section. There's grilled conch, shrimp two or three ways, grouper a couple of ways, grilled octopus, and a big dollop of guacamole. It's wonderful; I drooled on my keyboard just thinking about it.

Gun, that Zachariah platter at el moro is awesome, but ya gotta bring a friend. The boat capitan and I split it. Really good.

We tried the little pizza joint across from el fish at 8 and Ave 10, Fratelli's. We split a mexicana pizza. They gave us a little garlic bread thing with the oil and vinegar stuff. The pizza was tasty on a crispy crust. Decent prices and great service. They apparently use jugo? a soy sauce kinda stuff as condiment to add to pizza. It was odd but actually kinda good on it. They also have some sort of two peppers steeped in oil sauce. Tried that as well. Nice steady burn....

They apparently use jugo? a soy sauce kinda stuff as condiment to add to pizza. It was odd but actually kinda good on it.

Probably Maggi Sauce. Sold here as Maggi Jugo but available in NA groceries as Maggi Sauce. It's an essential ingredient in that lovely beer cocktail here called a Michelada (sp?).

An important point about El Moro - it is closed on Thursdays. You cab driver may not know (or not admit it), and it's kind of a long cab ride there and even longer if you get there, find it closed, and then have to go somewhere else.

We always make sure we take a lunch at Sabores (right around the corner from Christi's shop on Avenida 5 entre Calle 3 y 5).

Eat in the back yard amongst the palms and iguanas. The iced tea is fantastic.
Sabores is my favorite. You walk through their house and eat in their back yard. Hibiscus ice-tea and mole chicken. Mmm.

Other favorites: El Foco, Gatitos, Las Palmas

Thanks Marg. Unfortunately Guidos is still outrageously expensive if you are going to go there for dinner and have drinks. It's easy for the bill to get way out of hand. :-( Too bad. The food and service is great. I went there for a small celebration one night and me and another friend ordered drinks (doubles). I had a double margarita (tequilla reposado - Cazadores, I believe) and my friend had a double Absolut. Cost us $18 per drink! I told the waiter, listen, if you are going to charge that much for a drink, you had better tell me a head of time. Anyway, have heard many similar stories about being overcharged for alcohol.

They are advertising a New Year's celebration event for $100 per person. That's pretty damn expensive for Cozumel!!

Thanks for posting where the Empanada place has moved to. Their "moved-to" sign came down and then I didn't know where to find them. I love their tuna empanadas and get them to go and take them back home to eat with dinner. Yummy!!

cvchief...oooh...I almost forgot about Fratelli's. GREAT pizza. Love their Hawaiian pizza.

La Perlita - Pulpa in su tinta (octopus in its ink)
El Moro - Zachariah platter
La Morena - The Popeye (spinach-stuffed squid)
Capi Navegante - Shrimp Capi (cooked tableside in Pernod, brandy, orange juice, and mucho ajo)
Sonora Grill - Octopus Sonora (grilled with bacon and white cheese)
Kinta - Anything on the menu
La Veranda - Pan seared blackfin tuna over pasta
La Choza - Mustard fish
Chen Rio - Whole deep fried snapper
Paradise Cafe - Shrimp quesadillas
Prima - Lobster linguine
Camillo's - Mummy shrimp
Especias - Indian shrimp

Also: Pancho's Backyard, the Lobster House, Le Chef, La Cocay, Pepe's, Casa Denis...

Yikes! My wine was $80 pesos so not out of line. I saw an ad for the Christmas dinner. I guess there are people who will pay that. I'm not one of them.

BTW, I was told that Perro Verde is closing this month. A casualty of low volume. Not eating out tonight. It's an avocado and tomato sandwich for me tonight!

Thanks Marg. Unfortunately Guidos is still outrageously expensive if you are going to go there for dinner and have drinks. It's easy for the bill to get way out of hand. :-( Too bad. The food and service is great. I went there for a small celebration one night and me and another friend ordered drinks (doubles). I had a double margarita (tequilla reposado - Cazadores, I believe) and my friend had a double Absolut. Cost us $18 per drink! I told the waiter, listen, if you are going to charge that much for a drink, you had better tell me a head of time. Anyway, have heard many similar stories about being overcharged for alcohol.

They are advertising a New Year's celebration event for $100 per person. That's pretty damn expensive for Cozumel!!

Casa Mision is really nice, classy and reasonably priced $20.00 full dinner fancy dessert and two beers. Beautiful gardens, birds and FUNNIEST Parrot in the Universe. Hey like Ahorale Cabron with a Mexican Bandit deep voice! No to be missed!

Back
Top Bottom