Restaurant Finds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can, but they scam you on the exchange rate. On the menu it says "Exchange Rate $22 pesos/$1" or something like that. I think it was $22/$1 when we were there but it might have been $23 or $24. Anyways, since the menu is all in dollars they take your total in dollars then convert it at the unfavorable exchange rate and then run your card in pesos. So if your meal was say, $100, they run your card at their exchange rate of $22, so you pay $2200 pesos, and let's say the current going rate is $17 pesos/$1, so your bank converts it to $129. It's just dishonesty to take advantage of tourists naïveté on how exchange rates work. I was a C student but remember just enough from my undergrad Economics classes to know enough to be dangerous 😆! Most people see the higher number of pesos per dollar and think it means they're getting a better deal, but the way they do it, it's the opposite. Last time we ate there, I remembered to bring enough dollars to pay in cash. They aren't the only ones that do this of course.
When I am on the island I try to deal and think exclusively in pesos, and I carry a caculator. One thing I was advised to do is to write "pesos" by the amount when I sign the charge; I don't know if it's really necessary but I do it since the symbol for US$ and MXN pesos is much the same.

Can you not pay with a credit card in pesos?

I'm sure they could, they just say they can't when they are trying to extract a jacked up bill in pesos.

My understanding is the businesses are required to have the price in Pesos and I was told by an expat to always ask for a pesos menu. So if we get a English pesos menu we are good. If we get a English USD menu, my wife keeps that and I ask for the peso menu (I take a quick snap on phone).
I always pay in Pesos cash for everything except diving.

+ 1
The legal tender in Mexico is the Mexican Peso.
If people insist on using a foreign currency, there is, in my opinion, NOTHING they can complain about with regard to exchange rate or fees.
Yes, especially when the prices are all arbitrarily set in the first place. Another thing is that a lot of people in here that live in the US complain about the way things "should" work on Cozumel, as if the rules we are used to should apply to them. Their country, their rules, such as they are.

Any time an economically disadvantaged region becomes an international tourist destination there will be metaphorical osmotic pressure for money to move from one side of the economic membrane to the other; it is unavoidable. You go there, you deal with it in whichever way you choose. I choose to be reasonably diligent against scamming but to not sweat the small stuff. YMMV

My whole point with the Casa Mission thing was what used to be a quaint and charming family restaurant now exhibits many of the classic behaviors of a tourist trap. That's a turn off to me personally, and disappointing given my long history of going there. That coupled with a decline in the quality of service and food means no mas for me. They're free to do whatever the hell they want, and they're clearly not losing business over it. As Gordon likes to say.....YMMV

A note about both Casa Mission and La Mission.

Casa Mission was always our favorite place. We would typically go there on the last night of our trip and it was a great way to end the trip on a high note. The ambience was the best on the island, service was great, steak & lobster was great, all good. It's changed a lot in the last few years and now feels like a tourist trap to me. Last few times we've been there the service was mediocre at best, the food was average, the prices were high, and they play the stupid exchange rate game with the menu prices in dollars then they charge you in pesos at an inflated exchange rate. They also seem to cater to large groups more than individual diners so if you're a party of 2-4 that just walks in the door good luck getting served quickly. I have no patience for the cruise ship passenger tourist trap BS so we probably won't be back.

La Mission on the other hand- it's been around for years and for some reason we had never tried it. My wife and I wandered in there one day on our most recent trip in November and had a really great meal and overall experience. Prices were fair, no games, and best of all they offer a discount for divers when you show your C card. I think it was 15% the day we were there.
Funny, We had the bad experience at La Mission. Went there every trip. Last time we gave them or C Cards and were told they didn't do this anymore. I went up to the cashier and she said yes we do and gave us the discount. Their prices have gone up dramatically the last few years, and the service did as well. At least with us.

By far the best restaurant on the island (not biased, I promise) is Arabian Tacos. Ran by a fantastic family, great price, and unbelievable taste. I usually down about eight tacos de arrachera slathered in their habanero sauce.
Went to their website and plugged in the address for google maps. The result doesn't seem right. Can you do the same and confirm? I'd like to try this place next week.

Went to their website and plugged in the address for google maps. The result doesn't seem right. Can you do the same and confirm? I'd like to try this place next week.
Idk the address, it's just north of Soriana on 30th Ave, about calle 6.

Back
Top Bottom