Fathom vs. KISS Classic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

170586710_744961819519541_8730636153697449539_n.jpg
Can sits right on the little ledge.

Kensuf, where/who is making that Fathom stand?

Thanks for the input everyone. I think after reading the comments, I'm pretty decided going with a Fathom and doing my training in Mexico at 3rd Dimension.
So how did this all go? Unit feedback? Course report? inquiring minds want an update

So how did this all go? Unit feedback? Course report? inquiring minds want an update
rjack321: I have purchased a Fathom and have training scheduled for November this year with Kelvin Davidson of 3rd Dimension Diving. I'm very lucky that Kelvin happened to be travelling to Vancouver Island in that time frame, so I will be able to do all my training locally and with cold water gear.

One of my closest local dive buddies also recently got Fathom certified in North Florida, so I will have a Fathom buddy for most of my local dives. Plus I usually dive with GUE divers who use the JJ, so I will still have commonality with them when I am using the "DIR" config. I'm happy to post a course report in 6 weeks when my Mod 1 is completed.

rjack321: I have purchased a Fathom and have training scheduled for November this year with Kelvin Davidson of 3rd Dimension Diving. I'm very lucky that Kelvin happened to be travelling to Vancouver Island in that time frame, so I will be able to do all my training locally and with cold water gear.

One of my closest local dive buddies also recently got Fathom certified in North Florida, so I will have a Fathom buddy for most of my local dives. Plus I usually dive with GUE divers who use the JJ, so I will still have commonality with them when I am using the "DIR" config. I'm happy to post a course report in 6 weeks when my Mod 1 is completed.
Right on.

You'll find the fathom needle valve a bit of a challenge in drygloves, even 1/8th of a turn is significant at 200psi IP. One thing I have found helpful is to make sure its set to roughly the right flow rate at the start of the dive (not wildly high or low when you first turn on the O2). A Dwyer 0-1 LPM flow gauge isnt a ton of money and allows me to start the dive with close to what I need metabolically (0.7 LPM is my start target).

Right on.

You'll find the fathom needle valve a bit of a challenge in drygloves, even 1/8th of a turn is significant at 200psi IP. One thing I have found helpful is to make sure its set to roughly the right flow rate at the start of the dive (not wildly high or low when you first turn on the O2). A Dwyer 0-1 LPM flow gauge isnt a ton of money and allows me to start the dive with close to what I need metabolically (0.7 LPM is my start target).
Since he’s buying a full unit it should come with a Dwyer FYI.
I forgot Kelvin’s going up there. He’s been Travelling and diving in the US a bit this year

Are you going straight to bm 50s? If so get it with the onboard suit inflation and oxygen hardware installed. It’s easier than buying the extra parts later.

Hi
Yes indeed the Triton is a mccr and it is CE.
As diving it with a double tank, it is done regularly in Europe and it is not at all a nightmare as the front machine is really not that intrusive once in the water.
As to use it with a long hose, not a problem at all and even better: you don't need to go out of the loop to give it :) :)
The RB can also be clipped in and out without any change of buoyancy.
@jale How is the long hose set up with the triton. So it comes off a right post, around a cannister on the hip, and around the left side of the Triton chest mounted lung and around the back of the neck? Doesn't it get caught dangling infront of the chest mounted triton. Where is it clipped off to? The right D ring or the front of the Triton?

Right on.

@rjack321 So do you adjust the needle valve during the dive as a function of depth and work rate? How often woul you tend to adjust it during a dive. How do you monitor when it needs adjusting, is it of you see troughs in PPO2

@rjack321 So do you adjust the needle valve during the dive as a function of depth and work rate? How often woul you tend to adjust it during a dive. How do you monitor when it needs adjusting, is it of you see troughs in PPO2
It is adjusted based on work/metabolic rate. The first stage is plugged so depth isn’t a factor, though it’s still not difficult with an unplugged first. You really don’t have to mess with it much. If you know you’re working on the dive, you look at you p02 and see how fast it’s degrading. If it seems faster, turn up the needle valve. When I scooter my needle valve never gets touched.
The reality is on most dives you don’t have to futz with the needle valve much. The real strength is not having to add oxygen via the mav at depth. At 150ft if you have to hit the oxygen mav and you lay on it too much you’ll spike p02. So instead you watch p02 and get ahead of the oxygen degradation with a little turn of the needle valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom