FATHOM Dive Systems Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question actually regarding the dual MAV/needle valve set up. I’ve seen the pictures on the fathom website but I’m wondering what each port is and if it would work as a retrofit to a non fathom rebreather. Is it possible to route the dill and O2 both from the top? Also if I were to upgrade my regulator/spring can you recommend a source for the higher pressure LP hoses?
The dual mav runs both oxygen and dil. If looking at the photo on the website you have the qc6 for dil which has a bypass so you can run an adv or bov freely. Oxygen side the Schroeder is for the oxygen in, then needle valve, then oxygen out. If I’m understanding you correctly, no to can both be run from the top. The dil out is on the opposite side from the qc6. But I may be misunderstanding your question. There are quite a few of these mavs being used on non fathom units. The dual mav came out before the Gemini was created and I’m pretty sure it was created initially for units like the sidewinder. I know of a few guys running it on sw.
As for the reg spring, my wife ran hers for a long time with just a standard first stage. No blocking and no special spring. The upgraded spring is meant for extreme depths.

I have a question actually regarding the dual MAV/needle valve set up. I’ve seen the pictures on the fathom website but I’m wondering what each port is and if it would work as a retrofit to a non fathom rebreather. Is it possible to route the dill and O2 both from the top? Also if I were to upgrade my regulator/spring can you recommend a source for the higher pressure LP hoses?

In your shoes (assuming Revo), I’d likely just let the solenoid do it’s job. That said it can be routed like this:

Attachments

• IMG_9481.jpeg
    IMG_9481.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 92
In your shoes (assuming Revo), I’d likely just let the solenoid do it’s job. That said it can be routed like this:
Perfect, that’s very helpful. Thank you so much! I’m looking at plugging the CMF and moving to a needle valve. Ultimately with the higher spring tension that makes it viable below 300ft. I don’t really ever use the solenoid except as a back up. I fly it manually generally but the flow from the cmf at its highest IP is still well below my usual metabolic rate.

The dual mav runs both oxygen and dil. If looking at the photo on the website you have the qc6 for dil which has a bypass so you can run an adv or bov freely. Oxygen side the Schroeder is for the oxygen in, then needle valve, then oxygen out. If I’m understanding you correctly, no to can both be run from the top. The dil out is on the opposite side from the qc6. But I may be misunderstanding your question. There are quite a few of these mavs being used on non fathom units. The dual mav came out before the Gemini was created and I’m pretty sure it was created initially for units like the sidewinder. I know of a few guys running it on sw.
As for the reg spring, my wife ran hers for a long time with just a standard first stage. No blocking and no special spring. The upgraded spring is meant for extreme depths.
So the dil out pass through is on the bottom ( based on the orientation of the lettering) if I understand correctly?

Are the AK 4 pin leads from the Fathom head easily/safely removable for travel? I've been worried they are more permanently attached (i.e., to lessen the chance of leaking) and that "end user" removal would screw it up.

Are the AK 4 pin leads from the Fathom head easily/safely removable for travel? I've been worried they are more permanently attached (i.e., to lessen the chance of leaking) and that "end user" removal would screw it up.
The cables are potted in the head along with all of the electronics. The end user will not be able to change the cable out themselves. This greatly improves the watertight integrity of the electronics for the HUD and the handset. That being said we haven't had anyone kill a AK-4 pin cable yet. I wish I could say the same about Fisher or Divesoft freedom connectors.

Diluent can be routed in either direction, with the connector or bypass both being the top or bottom.
That’s good to know. I didn’t know that

I have 2 questions that are not really technical.
  • Do you foresee european instructors in the future?
  • Is it necessary to send the rebreather to Florida for service?
Thank you very much for the informations

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom