FATHOM Dive Systems Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I *think* I did see recently a post on Fathoms FB or the group about a European training happening?

Edit.. was UAE. Not sure what level.

I *think* I did see recently a post on Fathoms FB or the group about a European training happening?

Edit.. was UAE. Not sure what level.
That’s my instructor. If anyone interested drop me a message and I will put you in touch.

Can you upgrade from MK2 to MK3?

Yes, the mk2 and mk2.5's are upgradeable. The head will need to be rebuilt, the computer will need to be changed to a Petrel 3/NERD with AK4-pin, and the HUD will be changed out.

The dual AK-4 pin and mk1 units are also upgradeable however they will require a new head to integrate the built in HUD on the mk2-mk3.

Depending on the unit, the counterlung, t-pieces, and loop hoses may also need to be changed to be a true "MK3".

All and all it really depends on the deal you get on a used unit, as it may be cost prohibitive vs purchasing new.

I purchased my first Fathom as a VERY used mk2 #026 (2 years before working for the company) , and determined that if anything ever failed I would upgrade to the latest generation then. I ended up selling the unit to a friend and purchasing a mk3 when serial number 69 became available. Between the 3 owners that unit has almost 500 hours, and there have been no issues that would warrant the upgrades.

. Between the 3 owners that unit has almost 500 hours, and there have been no issues that would warrant the upgrades.

My wife and I have 18 and 19 of the Mk2. We've never even considered an upgrade because the units work perfectly. If we ever had a fischer issue we may upgrade to the new style. My wife had to upgrade to the new fathom hud because her original died (it was upgraded at N/C). The unit is simple and just works. I would say the most important "upgrade" we've made is me buying a second canister so I have one for the "tech" rig and one for sm bailout. It's not necessary, but its nice to just throw the head back and forth between setups.
Fathom has done a great job of building robust units that can be upgraded if you choose (we just haven't had the need). The improvements to the Mk3 are very good upgrades. But right now if it ain't broke don't fix it for us.
Simplicity, robustness, ability to field service the majority of the unit, and it's ability to be upgraded are the key things that made us choose fathom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom